ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac - Bios v. 1.29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luxferro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac - Bios v. 1.29
    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 1:54am
I have a problem and have opened a ticket, but have not heard back.

Asrock released 2 different bioses under the same bios version. The first version of bios version 1.29 was pulled from the website for a few days, then showed up with more changes and the same bios version number.

This causes many issues because:
1) You can't update to the new version of 1.29 because it returns an error that you're already on this version (both versions of 1.29 are different - ran a hash check on them).
2) For revision control, the version number for software should never be reused - this is pretty much common sense for any corporation that cares and quality control...
3) Also, they keep removing the past bios versions, and all documentation of their changes. Also not good for quality control practices...

For anyone who wants to see proof of their being 2 different versions, see this picture. I also have both versions if need be. https://photos.app.goo.gl/pz7yqKvS5kq8CB369

The fact they that took the first version of 1.29 down so fast, has me concerned that I am running a bios with issues that may damage something in my system.... as no reasons are given for why it was pulled in the first place.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 2:48am
Interesting, thanks for pointing this out.

If you compare the file sizes of the 2 BIOS update files, are they the same or different?

It could be that the file went up too early and was pulled then put back up once approved (ie, same exact file but put up twice). I have never seen ASRock release 2 BIOS updates with the same revision number before, like you said, common sense not to. If they are different I will contact Tech Support and inquire.
Luxferro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luxferro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 4:07am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Interesting, thanks for pointing this out.

If you compare the file sizes of the 2 BIOS update files, are they the same or different?

It could be that the file went up too early and was pulled then put back up once approved (ie, same exact file but put up twice). I have never seen ASRock release 2 BIOS updates with the same revision number before, like you said, common sense not to. If they are different I will contact Tech Support and inquire.

If you look at the picture I linked in my first post you'll see they are indeed 2 different files. I did CRC/MD5 checks on them, and they differ from one another and it won't let me update to the newer once, so I'm stuck on the release that was pulled for unknown reasons.

With all the issues motherboard manufactures have been having with the 9th gen intel CPU's overvolting, I'm kind of concerned, so if you could reach out to someone it would be appreciated.

If you'd like to do a file check for yourself, here's my collection of bios revs for this board: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17g1MolUMuGax4elqkaI8h23BzR1AwV3S

For the 2nd release of 1.29 I appended an 'a' on the file name.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:09am
Great, thanks Luxferro, I will link this thread to my contact at ASRock.
Luxferro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luxferro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Great, thanks Luxferro, I will link this thread to my contact at ASRock.

By any chance, did your contact have any insight?

ASRock tech support hasn't responded to my support ticket.

DMG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:20am
I can confirm. I had 1.27 at one point but it was removed from the site. I downloaded 1.29 on 11/5, which does have a different file size than the one listed on 11/15.... I also cannot update to the newest 1.29.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 9:37pm
I just heard back from my contact today.

He recommends that you flash back to 1.20 then update to the latest (correct) 1.29 version. Make sure you follow the instant flash method and reset to system defaults before flashing. He tested the method and assures me it works.

I was told this is definitely a mistake and ASRock is grateful that it was brought to their attention. I am sure they will do their best to avoid this happening again. I have never seen this happen with ASRock before.

Again, thanks for bringing this to light guys.

Edited by Xaltar - 21 Nov 2018 at 10:06pm
J Z View Drop Down
ASRock_Partner
ASRock_Partner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:10pm
https://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/forum.php?act=38030
Kind Regards,
JZ

https://shop.JZelectronic.de - Der Shop mit ausgesuchter ASRock Profi Hardware

https://www.facebook.com/asrock.de
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:56pm
Thanks for the Beta 1.30a JZ
Luxferro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luxferro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:49am
Originally posted by J Z J Z wrote:

https://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/forum.php?act=38030

JZ, any chance you can let your contact know there is a bug with the fan control of bios 1.30, and maybe earlier versions.

If you configure 2 exact PWM fans, on header CPU, and CPU_OPT (set to CPU temp), with custom fan profiles, CPU_OPT will spin at a much faster RPM.

I was forced to use a Y splitter w/ just one header to get my fans to spin the same. Just wanted to let someone know so that maybe some day it's fixed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic