ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Taichi Bios 1.80 problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sora70david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 10:54pm
Thanks Teegale for the recommendations.   I did load all the latest drivers on Samsung's website and also Samsung Magician.   I initially installed my NVMe drive in M.2 port 3 but then decided to move it to port 1.   The reason I did this was because I noticed that the mounting points in slot 1 were better suited to the size of the 970 EVO. Also, I noticed some other people who had this same setup using slot 1.   So I decided to go with that. I wish that this MOBO came with heat sinks for all 3 M.2 ports.   Do you happen to know if ASRock sells spare heatsinks for ports 1 and 2 or if they are available from a 3rd party?
AceoftheSwordz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AceoftheSwordz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 3:37pm
I just did this update and I noticed that the option for Multi core Enhancement is no longer there. Can anyone confirm this? I flashed through windows and I've noticed MCE behavior when I don't really want that. I was going to tweak my OC but it's in AUTO on pretty much everything with XMP on until I figure out where the setting to control that is before I tune a new OC profile.
marjohn56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marjohn56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 10:32pm
Still no go with 1.80, flashed it after a fresh d/l from ASRock and it still slows my machine to a crawl. I'll stay with 1.60, at least it works.
teegale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teegale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 12:09am
Originally posted by marjohn56 marjohn56 wrote:

Still no go with 1.80, flashed it after a fresh d/l from ASRock and it still slows my machine to a crawl. I'll stay with 1.60, at least it works.

So strange. I have no idea why my issues were fixed after doing it a second time.
basementjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basementjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 12:37pm
Hi Everyone, new here, joined to join this discussion, wish I would have searched for this yesterday!

I am also having the same problem as everyone else. Downgrading to 1.60 immediately resolved the issue.

I saw a few questions asked above so I'll try to answer those here and also will tell what steps I did to troubleshoot...

Question: Where can I find the 1.60 bios to downgrade?
Answer: It's on the asrock website - I went to the motherboard page then to support, then bios, and there are 4 different versions listed, I've used the Instant flash 1.60 one to downgrade.
[URL= https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390%20Taichi/index.us.asp#BIOS]https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390%20Taichi/index.us.asp#BIOS[/URL]

My specifics:
Brand new machine, i7-9700k, Samsung 1TB 970EVO NVME in the 3rd (heatsink) slot, no other drives, 32GB ram in dual channel (2x16) Standard z390 Taichi, not the ultimate.

I had installed windows for the first time about a week ago with BIOS 1.60, and everything was running great. I've rebooted, powered off and powered on from scratch, plenty of times to have a feel for what the login process was like before.

On 12-22-2018 I downloaded 1.80 from asrock.com and used the USB method to update my machine on the same day.
Everything was immediately awful.
I also did a reset cmos both via the switch on the IO panel, and also from within the bios.

On 12-23-2018 I downgraded to 1.60, fetching the 1.60 bios from asrock.com. I used a second machine for this to avoid any issues.

Note: I was able to put both bios versions on the same USB stick, and instant flash presented me with a list to choose from.
Note2: User Teegale mentioned a second flash fixed the issue and suspected that asrock had fixed the bios online, however that was posted on 12-19, prior to my downloading the file

Note: After the first boot when it was hanging big time, I finally got into Task manager and noticed system interrupts were taking 18% of the CPU - this seemed wrong.

Note: I have never run or installed any samsung drivers, nor updated bios, but installed Magician, and it shows I have the latest Firmware. Running on bios 1.60, magician showed 3549 read, 2461 write, with 368,408 read iops and 303,222 write-iops.

Ok I think that's all the relevant details on mine - I'm really thankful everyone else posted here - the information was really helpful!

- Jack
teegale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teegale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by basementjack basementjack wrote:

Hi Everyone, new here, joined to join this discussion, wish I would have searched for this yesterday!

I am also having the same problem as everyone else. Downgrading to 1.60 immediately resolved the issue.

I saw a few questions asked above so I'll try to answer those here and also will tell what steps I did to troubleshoot...

Question: Where can I find the 1.60 bios to downgrade?
Answer: It's on the asrock website - I went to the motherboard page then to support, then bios, and there are 4 different versions listed, I've used the Instant flash 1.60 one to downgrade.
[URL= https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390%20Taichi/index.us.asp#BIOS]https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390%20Taichi/index.us.asp#BIOS[/URL]

My specifics:
Brand new machine, i7-9700k, Samsung 1TB 970EVO NVME in the 3rd (heatsink) slot, no other drives, 32GB ram in dual channel (2x16) Standard z390 Taichi, not the ultimate.

I had installed windows for the first time about a week ago with BIOS 1.60, and everything was running great. I've rebooted, powered off and powered on from scratch, plenty of times to have a feel for what the login process was like before.

On 12-22-2018 I downloaded 1.80 from asrock.com and used the USB method to update my machine on the same day.
Everything was immediately awful.
I also did a reset cmos both via the switch on the IO panel, and also from within the bios.

On 12-23-2018 I downgraded to 1.60, fetching the 1.60 bios from asrock.com. I used a second machine for this to avoid any issues.

Note: I was able to put both bios versions on the same USB stick, and instant flash presented me with a list to choose from.
Note2: User Teegale mentioned a second flash fixed the issue and suspected that asrock had fixed the bios online, however that was posted on 12-19, prior to my downloading the file

Note: After the first boot when it was hanging big time, I finally got into Task manager and noticed system interrupts were taking 18% of the CPU - this seemed wrong.

Note: I have never run or installed any samsung drivers, nor updated bios, but installed Magician, and it shows I have the latest Firmware. Running on bios 1.60, magician showed 3549 read, 2461 write, with 368,408 read iops and 303,222 write-iops.

Ok I think that's all the relevant details on mine - I'm really thankful everyone else posted here - the information was really helpful!

- Jack

No problem man. I have no idea why its varying user to user. Or how I was able to fix it with the second flash.

If you haven't installed the Samsung NVME drivers from Samsung I'd recommend doing so. There's a link in one of my previous posts. I doubt that fixes the issue for you. Best bet for anyone having trouble with v1.80 is so try it and run Userbenchmark. If you're NVME is significantly underperforming go back to 1.60 until there's a new BIOS update. Just a strange BIOS release in general.
teegale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teegale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 10:19pm
I'd also like to add that I'm on Windows 10 1809 with every update installed from Windows update. Again, I doubt that's the issue but you never know.
teegale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teegale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 3:17pm
Was anyone brave enough to try the new 1.90 update? If so was the issue gone?
marjohn56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marjohn56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 3:21pm
No, but I'll try it one day, switched out the board for an MSI Godlike, the Taichi is now sat in a cupboard whilst I decide what to do with it.
teegale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teegale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by marjohn56 marjohn56 wrote:

No, but I'll try it one day, switched out the board for an MSI Godlike, the Taichi is now sat in a cupboard whilst I decide what to do with it.

I bit the bullet. Everything works fine for me. Userbenchmark new high scores.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic