ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Taichi Ultimate: NICs same MAC address

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publius21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Taichi Ultimate: NICs same MAC address
    Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 11:54am

After flashing the recent v1.90 BIOS, I noticed that the two Intel NIC interfaces seem to have the same MAC address. I didn't notice it until I was installing a new instance of Win 10.

On my current main install, I was just using the i219-V. The other two were enabled, but I had unbound Windows networking, and was just using the others occasionally for Virtualbox's bridged adapters for virtual machines. Since it just uses spoofed/virtual MAC addresses in promiscuous modes, it didn't matter.

But, at any rate, the i211 NIC has the same MAC address as the i219-V. This address was the original one for the i219-V. The original MAC address for the i211 interface has disappeared.

I'm not sure if the update to 1.9 BIOS caused this or not, but it's the only thing I can think of that changed.

Thanks.
publius21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publius21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 12:31pm

BTW, I used the "locally administered address" facility in the i211 driver properties to change the MAC address to something unique, at least. IIRC, the orignal i211 MAC was something very close.

I wish I knew what the old one was, so I could change it to what it was supposed to be.
publius21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publius21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 5:15am

An update on this problem: Today the system froze hard, requiring a reset. It did this twice in rapid succession.

After the second reset, I noticed that the "locally administered address" I had entered for the i211 to prevent the duplicate MAC address with the i217-V was gone. It was wiped out, and this happened in both installs of Windows 10. I haven't checked the bare metal install of Fedora 29 I've installed on the system.

This seems to be some bug with the v1.90 BIOS.

I've reset the locally administered address for the i211 and will see if it locks up again any time soon.
publius21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publius21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 12:25am

Just to see, I reflashed to the previous v1.80 BIOS. The duplicated MAC address problem is still there.

I wish I knew for sure, but I'm pretty sure it happened after the flash to v1.90. So I'm wondering if this means something permanent was done.

When I first put this system together, the i211 had a distinct MAC address, but now it's a a duplicate of the i217-V. I wish I knew exactly when this happened, but I'm not sure.

At any rate, it works fine with the locally administered MAC address set to a unique value.
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 3:38am
Disable the one you are not using, this should remove the conflict.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K, ThermalTake Contact Silent12
Asus Strix GTX970,
EVGA 750 W Super Nova,
16G GSkill Ripjaws, F4-3200C16D-16GVKB,
Samsung 960 Evo 500G M.2,Samsung 970 Evo 1T M.2
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 5:32am
It isn't permanent, it should be possible to flash a new MAC address to one of the NICs. ASRock's Tech Support department should be able to help you out. I have seen similar issues resolved by them in the past. Open a ticket with them and describe your issue being sure to provide the Motherboard model and BIOS version.

https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

publius21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publius21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 5:41am

Thanks, I'll give them a try. I wonder if the problem was some glitch during the flash process?

I used the address override field in the driver properties to change the MAC to something unique and everything seems to work. And with Linux, there's the clone MAC feature which does the same thing.

But I would like to get it fixed and know just what happened.

ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:18am
Dear Publius21,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Regarding your case, please follow the below steps to flash the MAC address.
1.     Please open the chassis and you can find 3 white sticker at the edge of board with 12-digit MAC address.
2.     Download the MAC tool from the following link:
https://www.asrock.com/support/download/mac2.16B.zip
3.     Extract (Unzip) the file as "MAC216B?¯folder then put the entire folder into a bootable USB flash drive root directory.
4.     Boot up system then press [F11]to enter the Boot Menu, select your USB Flash, afterwards.
5.     Under DOS environment, please key in the command as follows:
CD MAC216B
MAC C 7085C2XXXXXX 7085C2XXXXXX 7085C2XXXXXX
(7085C2XXXXXX is MAC Address; please refer to the step1 to check the MAC Sticker and enter the three MAC address)
6.     After Key in the instruction, the system will flash MAC address automatically.
7.     When "Done" showing, the MAC address already been flash successfully.
8.     You can reboot the system into OS.

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
publius21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote publius21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 7:11am

Thanks! That did the trick.
Buehlerra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buehlerra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 3:43pm
It seems to be a common thing on this board. In my case it is even more special, as the Aquantia and one of the Intel NIC's using the same MAC address, which normaly even should have vendor specific MAC's.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic