ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 2400G constantly crashing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomas1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 2400G constantly crashing
    Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 5:05am
Forum search function: B450m Pro4 - no results for my issue
Google: B450m Pro4 - shows shopping options
        B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 2400G - shows shopping options
        B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 2400G, Fix crashes - long story short "buy different MB"

Hy. This is my first self-built system since 2008. And i remember it was a little easier that time.
I recently bought a b450m Pro4 with a Ryzen 5 2400G and 2x4GB Patriot Viper RAM which i set to it's stated 3000Mhz. System was not even booting. Google said "activate that XMP Profile" so i did.
System boots but crashes constantly while installing WIN10. Google said "Board doesn't support 3000mhz, reduce to 2933mhz" and so i did.
Installing All In 1 drivers from cd coming with the board, system crashes on start up. Uninstalling All In One Drivers and Google said "load Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.1.1 from AMD Website", so i did. Windows boots fine, i can do what so ever but after 15 - 45mins the system randomly crashes on several errors. Google said "many people had these problems and solved it with replacing the AsRock MB with different manufacturer"

Does anyone have a better solution to this? Or a link to... somewhere
I mean... i just activated a win10 OEM on that board.

cheers, Tom
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 5:59am
Hey, Tom!

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your new build. I know how frustrating it can be. Your PC not booting even with default settings is a clue for several things.

Let's first start with a few basic steps that each new build should start with, shall we?

Double and tripple check all cables, connectors and component seating/fitting. DDR4 slots are not forgiving. Even the tiniest misalignment could cause disaster. I can't stress this step enough.

Sometimes it's worth it to check it the CPU is seated well, too. It looks trivial with this CPU socket but I know of many cases where people got mislead and took it for granted.

Check if there are no metal parts shorting out some circuity.

With the PC off and power cord taken out of the wall socket, use the jumper of a dedicated button to clear the CMOS. Plug cables back in and reboot the PC.

Update the latest BIOS, even if it as a beta. Totally true for ASRock.

Reboot, clear CMOS once again, reboot, turn on XMP for RAM and re-deploy Win from scratch.

All should be fine now. Report back to us, so wen advise further if needed.
thomas1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomas1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 6:29am
Wow, that was fast. I wasn't expecting answer before weekend.
OK, you lead and it's my pleasure to follow. Since it's short to midnight in austria i will do these steps one by one tommorow right after work and report results.

thx in advance

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomas1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 7:28am
Alright, so i disassembled the PC to review the components.
CPU is ok, all pins are sraight, sits perfectly (mhhh i love cooling compound so much.
Cleaned DIMM slots with compressed air from the can, investigated with a lens, and mounted RAM, checked seating twice.
Connected each cable, one by one, carefully watching for perfect fitting.
Cleared CMOS with reset button, worked 'cause FANs spin with default RPM.
Latest BIOS (b450m pro4, P2.00) i installed already days ago.
Started WIN10 installation
Crash before first windows screen, PC powered off. error code 0x000000???... was gone to fast to note it
Rebooted, WIN installation starts and works proper to the point of first reboot, reboots fine, there comes the ENTER KEY screen
Crash, error code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, System reboots
Installation works till end, welcome to WIN10. I start edge browser to visit asrock forum and whine about the situation
Crash, error code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, system reboots, i shut the PC off
This also was the most frequent error code i read with that system.
I investigated on that error and it says it should be a bad driver, but i aint install any drivers yet. All windows natives. Also on my first attempt the time between crashes increased as i put the RAM on 2933mhz but they still happen ones or twice an hour.
so whats next
kerberos_20 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 10:29am
your ram desnt seems to be running stable
to make sure, install [URL=https://www.memtest86.com/]memtest86[/URL] on some usb drive and run it, if u get errors, your ram will need different timings/clock that u using right now

soo in case u get errors, set your ram to its default settings (no XMP) and run it again, if u get no errors, ram is working fine, if u get errors even with default settings, then you will need different RAM

also make sure your RAM is seated in A2+B2 slots
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14185108

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomas1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 5:34pm
thx kerberos.

RAM is plugged in A2 and B2
By "default settings" you mean settings after clear CMOS which would be 2133mhz CL?? or settings stated in the specs of the RAMs which would be 3000mhz CL16?

Buying components declared as compatible (QVL lists) and then having nothing but troubles is a true pain in the ass, but i'm really thankful for your help.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 7:17pm
Yep, kerb is onto something there.

Try runing memtest after cleared CMOS. This should bring the memory to JEDEC default 'speed' of 2133MT/s.

Also, try running only 1 stick of RAM in A2. Then try again with the next stick.
_Mael_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _Mael_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:08am
ok friend your problem is simple, just update the amd chipset driver to version 18.10.0830 and that's it. I have my 2400g with that chipset and zero problems. with the asrock driver it had the same problem that you have. I also use the driver of amd 18.12.2 I do better than with the latest version. I hope to be helpful.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:38am
Originally posted by _Mael_ _Mael_ wrote:

ok friend your problem is simple, just update the amd chipset driver to version 18.10.0830 and that's it. I have my 2400g with that chipset and zero problems. with the asrock driver it had the same problem that you have. I also use the driver of amd 18.12.2 I do better than with the latest version. I hope to be helpful.

Only that OP can't insall Windows to begin with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomas1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:57am
Basically I can. With lowered settings. But since the system crashes while idle even before I install anything on windows I don't think that this is a software problem. I started memtest86 with XMP on and had errors immediately after start. During the first pass 34 total. Now I cleared cmos, RAM is on that 2133mhz and finished pass #2 without any errors. Both bars plugged.
I guess that means they are OK, right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic