ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Extreme4 not boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filbert13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Extreme4 not boot
    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 8:41am
I can't get my Z390 Extreme4 to boot. It is a new build.

Specs

ASRock Z390 Extreme4 LGA 1151 (300 series)
Intel i5-9600k Coffee lake 6-core 3.7
Ballistix sport LT DDR4 3000 MT/s
GeForce RTX 2060
Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Case Corsair Crystal Series 570

So when I boot, the motherboard and case light up. All fans spin up. The computer will stay on like this for around 10-15 seconds. Power off and then boot back on and keep doing that loop.

I've double checked all connections. I have two ram sticks I have them in slot 2 and 4 which is what the manual says. I have also tried only slot 1,2, and 4 with a single stick.

The mobo is powered with the 24 pin slot as well as the 8 pin slot. I don't have the 4 pin slot next to the 8 powered (read it is optional).

I'm kinda stumped. From what I can tell everything is compatible.
filbert13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filbert13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 9:30am
I put a speaker on the mono. And it gives 3 beeps pause and 3 beeps. It does this with no ram as well. I 've tried each stick in each slot solo.

Also have removed the gpu using onboard.
CopyThat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CopyThat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 4:26pm
According to this:-
https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?k=beeps

3 beeps means no RAM. Is your RAM on the Memory QVL list?
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390%20Extreme4/index.asp#Memory
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 8:45pm
Check your BIOS version (sticker on the BIOS ROM on the motherboard). The i5 9600k requires version 2.30. One of the most common error codes with unsupported CPUs is the "no RAM" code because the system isn't detecting the IMC (integrated memory controller) on the CPU.

If you need to update the BIOS to support your CPU you can either pick up a cheap celeron or take the board in to a shop and get them to do it for you.
filbert13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filbert13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 9:28pm
I'll check the BIOS Version sticker once I get home. I was under the impression though that the 9th gen worked out of the box with this board. The exact CPU is even listed in the supported CPU list on the site.

I suppose if I have to update the bios to get the cpu to boot, I'm going to be extremely disappointed with ASRock since that cpu is listed.

But I'll be sure to update everyone once I get home.
filbert13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filbert13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 7:48pm
It was the RAM that was the issue. I picked up new RAM and was able to POST.

An FYI

Ballistix Sport LT (Crucial) DDR4 3000 MT/s DIMM 288-Pin Memory - BLS2K8G4D30BESBK

Does not appear to be compatible with the Z390 Extreme4.

Also my bios is 1.6 and it did work fine with a 9th gen cpu.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 12:45am
Thanks for the update and the model of the RAM you had issues with.

Enjoy the new system
filbert13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filbert13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 1:15am
I also see that BIOS update 2.3 states it "Improve the memory compatibility". I will update the BIOS and try the RAM that didn't work. And if it does work will post an update here. Just encase someone else runs into this issue. But it might be a few days.
CopyThat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CopyThat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 2:33am
Good to see you up and running
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic