ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help installing an AMD X470 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Déka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help installing an AMD X470 Taichi
    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:30pm
Hi,

This is my first custom PC build and so far my installation of the X470 Taichi motherboard failed.

1. First question I have is how to power the motherboard.
The PSU I'm using is a Seasonic, Model SS-650KM Active PFC F3.
I connected the PSU to the ATXPWR1 socket (#8 on page 1 of the quick installation guide).
I'm not sure whether I also have to use sockets ATX12V1 (#1) and ATX12V2 (#2) or if they are only alternatives to powering the board through ATXPWR1.

2. PSU's PCI-E/CPU cables
My PSU also has PCI-E / CPU cables: I cannot figure where to connect them.

3. FAN
The processor is a Pinacle Ridge Ryzen 7 2700X with cooler that seems an AMD Wraith PRISM. I connected it like the AM4 Box Cooler SR3 (which looks similar) at page 25 of the guide (step 7), to CPU_FAN1 and USB_5 sockets.
Altough I believe I connected it correctly, it doesn't spin more than half a second.

The RAM is G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ 2933 MHz for AMD: F4-2933C14D-16GTZRX
I installed one stick in slot A2, according to the table in the X470 Taichi quick installation guide (p. 26).

Symptoms:
- The computer starts, with blue lighting inside which blinks like a beating heart.
- The fan only spins about half of a second. The fan diodes are shining.
- The TridentZ RGB diodes of the RAM are shining.
- I can hear the mecanism of the DVD that is powered.
- I cannot stop the computer by pressing the power button several seconds and have to use the switch on the PSU to power off.
- Dr Debug diodes are not shining.

4. GRAPHICS
   The processor (AMD Ryzen 7 2700x) which is without GPU.
   The graphic card is a NVIDIA Quadro P620 with mini-DisplayPort outputs.
   On DisplayPort, I have no graphic signal until know.
   I wonder how will the graphics work without the graphic card driver being    installed. In the box of the graphic card is a mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter. Should I use it first?

Thank you very much for your help.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 6:21am
No worries! The symptoms you are getting indicate that most likely your build is OK overall.

1. Connect ALL ATX12V power cables for the mobo.

2. CPU/PCIe cables are optional. Usually used for GPUs or
mobo's aux power.

3. Double-check if the RAM stick is completely pushed in its slot, a d its locking mechanism is fully clicked. DDR4 slots are a major PITA even for experienced builders.

4. With the power cord unplugged from the wall socket, do a CMOS reset (press the button on the back panel of the mobo for 15 seconds).

Plug back the power cord and try powering back up. I bet you should be fine now.
Déka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Déka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 4:22pm
Thank you very much (and sorry for my late answer).

As you suggested at point 1, connecting the CPU power cable ATX 12V at the top left of the motherboard solved everything.

(Luckily were the DDR4 RAM sticks correctly inserted.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic