ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z390 Taichi will not boot if RAM is present in A2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Taichi will not boot if RAM is present in A2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyll13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Taichi will not boot if RAM is present in A2
    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:53am
Part Details:
- ASRock Z390 Taichi
- Intel i7-8700k
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200MHz
- Western Digital Blue 3D NAND M.2 NVME 1TB

Recently purchased a Z390 Taichi from NewEgg to finish a build I've been waiting on, but have hit a snag while building, specifically on installing RAM modules.

I have consulted the motherboard manual which states that the proper RAM placement for Dual Channel is in slots A2 and B2, however whenever a RAM stick is inserted into channel A2 the motherboard will not boot (am unable to get to BIOS).

I have tried re-seating the RAM in that channel repeatedly to no success, in both dual channel and solo configurations.

I have tried both RAM sticks individually in all other slots and the motherboard boots up fine no problems. I can even insert both RAM sticks into any other slot at the same time (e.g. A1 and B2), and windows and bios both will recognize it as 16gb of RAM, however it will only be in single channel mode.

I was wondering if this was a known issue with this board or if there was any common knowledge workaround. I really don't want to have to wait for NewEgg's RMA process but I'm starting to feel like I'll have to as I've tried every other possible RAM configuration, its just that slot A2 is a no-go.

Thanks
bobau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:19pm
If slots don't work send it back there's no point keeping it.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:27pm
A1 and B1 should also work in Dual Channel mode but that isn't a workaround I would use on a brand new system. Issues like this are typically one of 3 things:

1. The RAM is faulty (you confirmed it working in other slots)
2. The CPU is not seated properly, there is debris in the socket or on the CPU pads or there are bent pins in the socket. Having an overly tightly torqued cooling solution installed can cause the CPU to press too firmly into the socket and pins to shift off of the pads so be aware of this too.
3. The slot itself has an issue, debris in the slot, one or more contact fingers are bent or the slot is a particularly tight fit and the RAM is not seating all the way in.

The most common cause I find tends to be CPU installation issues. The IMC (internal memory controller) is on the CPU so if there is any issue with the connection from the CPU to the RAM slots you can have anything from dead seeming slots to a RAM not detecting at all. Before delving into that however, examine the offending slot with a flashlight (or your phone camera and light) for any debris or flashing (defects from the molding process) that could be preventing the RAM from seating all the way. Then seat the RAM and examine the contact area to ensure it is fully seated (compared to the other slots which are working). Often times it's simply not pushed in all the way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic