ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Pro4 won't turn on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Pro4 won't turn on
    Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:32pm
I've had a completely working build and then I noticed my case fans didn't spin.
I'm using the Phanteks Enthoo Pro case with a fan hub which requires a connection to the CPU_FAN header.
I was using [URL=https://www.overclock.net/forum/63-other-cooling-discussions/1620824-how-use-pwm-phanteks-enthoo-evolv-atx.html]this thread[/URL] as a reference and thought I'd connect the CPU_FAN-labeled header of the controller to the header labeled PWM_CFG1 on the board.
Trying to turn on the computer - nothing moved, fans didn't spin and no sparks or smokes came out. However, ever since that point my computer wouldn't turn on, no matter what I do.
I tried resetting the BIOS using the jumper AND removing the battery (not at the same time). Nothing worked.
Is there a possible connection to me using the PWM_CFG1 header (which I later learned that it's not a PWM-enabled fan header)? Is there a way I can fix this?

Any help would be much appreciated!
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 10:12am
Dear Iris,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Regarding to your case, we provide some suggestion to try.
1.     Clear CMOS to load BIOS default. Remove the power cord, short the jumper and remove the battery.
2.     Only install CPU and one stick memory to check if the system can boot into BIOS.
3.     Install the memory at each memory slot to try.

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
iris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:51pm
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I've tried all 3 solutions suggested (even a couple of times each), and the board doesn't turn on at all. No CPU fan spinning and no display output (obviously).

I've had experience with more than a couple of builds in the past and this is the first time I feel like there's nothing I can possibly do to solve the problem...

How likely is that running voltage on that port could fry the board? I have never witnessed any smoke, spark or anything suspicious going on. Also, visually the board looks perfectly fine.

Thanks in advance.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 4:54pm
Pull the power lead from the PSU and leave the system disconnected from power for an hour. Make sure to hold down the power button for 10 seconds or so after disconnecting power to discharge any residual power. While you have the system disconnected from power put the clear cmos jumper in the clear position and remove the CMOS battery.

If after an hour (at least 1 hour) reconnect the system to power and if you still have no activity when pressing the power button then try swapping the power and reset switches on the front panel header of your board. See if using the reset switch as the power button gets the system to power up (this would mean your power switch is faulty/dead). If that also fails try shorting the power pins on the front panel header (where you connect the power switch to the board).

When doing all this only have the bare minimum connected to the board, 1 module of RAM, CPU and CPU cooler, no fans, drives or other devices.
iris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 2:15pm
Just a quick update:
I had this board replaced. I was never told what was the problem so it's forever going to remain a mystery...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic