ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X470 Taichi upgrade bios online

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByReaL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X470 Taichi upgrade bios online
    Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 1:59am
i had bios version 1.x when i bought the board,
i did online update of the bios (basically the board connected to internet and downloaded the bios and updated itself)

now that option is gone and i can only update by creating a usb stick, downloading manually.

where did the online update option go ?
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:32am
It is gone for good.

This option is really not secure, prone no bricking boards and takes additional space in the BIOS blob.

Trust me on this one, you are better without an internet update option. Updating by USB stick is really not that scarry as you may think.
ByReaL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByReaL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 6:53am
should I be concerned about this "takes additional space in the BIOS blob"?

I see bios 3.43 is 16MB in size, how big is the bios memory on this board?

this looks unreal to me to lose features because the BIOS storage chip is not big enough. will there be room for 4th gen ryzen code in there without losing other features?
ByReaL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByReaL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 7:07am
ha, I found this https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/msi-drops-functions-from-bios-of-amds-300-and-400-series-motherboards-to-support-ryzen-3000.html and many more articles talking about dropped features to make room for new CPU support.

I also see msi is relaunching their motherboards with 32MB chips now instead of 16MB, will asrock do the same?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic