ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Phantom Gaming 9, Power on then off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chknlil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Phantom Gaming 9, Power on then off
    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 8:46am
All,

Purchased a Phantom 9 gaming. Installed i7-9700k.

Board will not post, will not stay powered on.

Powers up, powers down immediately. Never displays in LED display.

I've cleared CMOS, attempted a boot with no memory, with one memory stick in all slots, etc. etc. I'm wondering if the firmware on this board isn't up to the required BIOS level 4.10? How would I update with no CPU? Perhaps it's not that?

BTW, I tested the CPU, Memory, and PSU in another box, works no problem. Any thoughts on where to go from here? Just RMA?
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:19am
Sounds like you need to update BIOS to at least v4.00 according to the CPU support list. You will need an older CPU (any of the i3-8000, i5-8000, i7-8000 series would work) to do it as there is no way to flash the board if the CPU is not recognized.
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
chknlil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chknlil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:28pm
I've been told by support that the board would at least boot to bios with either cpu version. Not sure if that's really true, but anyway I sent the board back to asrock directly, they've replaced it with a new serial number so I'm guessing that means it was indeed bad. I'm currently waiting on the return shipment, I'll let ya'll know results here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic