ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Taichi MoBo PCIx16 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angloy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Taichi MoBo PCIx16 question
    Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 2:32am
Hey.

I wanted to know if it matters which PCIe x16 slot I use to install my graphics card. The reason why I ask is I'd like to use a PCIe x1 slot for a sound card, but if I put the graphics card in the top PCIe x16 slot I can't fit the sound card in either of the top PCIe x1 slots.

I've read that in some cases (on any MoBo) there could be issues or lower performance if you put the graphics card in a lower PCIe x16 slot. I am not using more than one graphics card (no SLI) and have no other PCIe x16 cards to install.

Thanx!
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 10:36am
Dear Angloy,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Z390 Taichi supports 3 PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots. (PCIE2/PCIE4/PCIE5: single at x16 (PCIE2); dual at x8 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4); triple at x8 (PCIE2) / x4 (PCIE4) / x4 (PCIE5))
If you connect the graphics card to PCIE2 slot, it will works at x8 mode.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390%20Taichi/index.asp#Specification

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
angloy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angloy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:22am
Hi,

Maybe I didn't ask the question with enough clarity. Let me try again.

I need to access a PCIE1 or PCIE3 -- see attached image.

When my graphics card is in PCIE2 (the top X 16 slot) both PCIE1 and PCIE3 are inaccessible to the card I need to put in one of these slots.

PCIE1 is covered by my graphics card and PCIE3 is too close to the bottom of my graphics card and if I put a card there it will block the exhaust airflow from the graphics card fan.

Will it make any difference if I put the graphics card from PCIE2 to one of the lower slots?

I only have a basic understanding the language of computer hardware, so it helps if you answer the question in terms that are more easily understood by idiots like me.

Thanx!
CHnuschti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHnuschti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:07pm
There is no or at worst marginal difference in the performance of a graphiccard if it runs in a 8x slot instead of a 16x slot. Had this myself once, didn't notice any underperformance.
At least it was so in the near past. Maybe with the new graphiccards it does change slightly, but I guess not.
Just test it yourself with a benchmark tool for graphiccards giving some kind of results in terms of scores.
angloy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angloy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:00am
Thanks for the reply. I figured I would need to test it myself. I've read that GPU-Z is a good application for performance testing, but it also look confusing to me. I'm not sure which benchmark is the most important one. I guess I'll run a test and then screengrab the results, then move the graphics card down to the second slot and test/screengrab again and try to discern the differences between the two results.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic