ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build - Rack C246 WSI won't boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meman1188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build - Rack C246 WSI won't boot
    Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 3:09am
I've stripped the build down to what I believe is the bare minimum and still not able to get it to boot.   When I connect power, the CPU fan turns on and the green standby light is illuminated, but no video output is displayed, no beeps, no other indications of life.

Motherboard: ASRock Rack C246 WSI
CPU: Intel Pentium Gold G5400 Coffee Lake Processor 3.70GHz
Memory: Kingston KSM26ES8/8ME - 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 ECC CL19 DIMM 1Rx8 Micron E
250W power supply

Observations:
- Power supply only has 24 pin power connector and the board is 8 + 4. ASRock supplied a 24 -> 4 pin cable which I'm using and green standby LED turns green

- I also have an Asicminer 24 Pin to 8-Pin cable but when I use that, the standby LED does not turn on and it appears the board doesn't like it.

- If I plug in the +4 connector, the board immediately turns on when I provide power; as indicated by the CPU fan spinning. If I don't plugin the +4 connector, the power button works as you'd expect. Not really sure why that is or if it's expected for the board to turn on immediately when power is provided

- I have two sticks of RAM and have tried each individually and in each slot with no effect

I'm a bit at a loss for how to troubleshoot this without any feedback mechanism (no beeps, no video, only LED is green).

Thanks!

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 6:40am
It looks like you have the 4pin connector in the wrong socket, the one that comes off the adapter. The 8 pin connector on the board is for the 12v 4pin and the 4 pin connector is for the power on, 5v and other signals.
mgutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 12:43am
I have the same board and it has the same problem.

Quote ASRock supplied a 24 -> 4 pin cable

Mine did not include such an adapter?!

You connected this adapter to the half of the 8-pin connector. For me this looks wrong as the pinout looks like it contains 5V but the "ATX12V2" board plug needs only 12V and ground:

I think this adapter should be connected to the 4-pin of the board. "Should" as I do not know it better as the manual does not contain any explanation. The best is to measure the output to be sure which pins deliver 12v and 5v.

Quote I also have an Asicminer 24 Pin to 8-Pin cable

I found this picture on amazon:

and compared it to the 24 atx pinout:

For me it looks like the two yellow cables deliver 12v and the purple cable 5V. You should not use this. It does not look like an ATX standard to me.

Finally you connected a 4 pin cable to the 4 pin board plug. This plug needs 12V and 5V:

If this is the additional plug of an 20+4 atx power supply its wrong too as it contains 12v, 5v and 3.3v (the bottom grey part in this pinout):

Now, what I did:
I connected the 4-pin plug of an PicoPSU 160-XT (it delivers 12v on the yellow cables and ground on the black cables as needed):

As I do not own the Asrock adapter I was not able to test more. But for me it looks like a dead board as the high reving fan does not make sense as the board is switched off. I measured the power consumption, too. It consumes 9-11W in this state.
mgutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 1:46am
Next try. This time with 4-pin to 8-pin adapter:

Bigger:
https://www.maxrev.de/files/2020/09/img_20200911_192601.jpg
mgutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 3:14am
Quote This plug needs 12V and 5V

Sorry this was wrong. Sadly this forum does not allow to correct postings. This plug named "ATX_4PIN" needs ONLY 5V:

"ATX_PG" = "ATX Power Good" = 5V
"5VSB" = 5V Standby = 5V
GND = Ground = -5V
PSON = Power Supply On = 5 V

Finally the manual is wrong as it describes this socket as "ATX 12V power connector". And why the hell is it possible to interchange these plugs. What a design flaw!

I guess you fried your board and I bet someone fried mine too (and forget to put the adapter cable back in the box) and sent it back to the dealer were I bought it.
mgutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 3:15pm
Finally I bought a second board and this time the adapter was included. After my test I found out that the first board is defective. Asrock should correct the manual or even better... never build such a board layout again.

More images:
https://www.computerbase.de/forum/threads/achtung-bei-asrock-rack-c246-wsi-e3c246d2i-e3c242d2i.1969372/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic