ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build problem: B450 Pro4 + Ryzen 5 3600

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boggsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build problem: B450 Pro4 + Ryzen 5 3600
    Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:12pm
Hi,
I originally posted this in the Ryzen 3000 Support sticky but I think I'll start this as a new topic and not clutter up the original thread.

New build:
ASRock B450 Pro4 BIOS ver 3.20 (out of the box)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 + AMD stock cooler
G.Skill 32GB DDR4-3000 Aegis F4-3000C16D-32GISB
PNY CS3030 500GB SSD
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Linux Mint 19.2

Problem: Getting intermittent micro stuttering/freezing of mouse cursor and delayed keyboard inputs. CPU/RAM/GPU monitor shows minimal loading < 10%

Question: Should I attempt to upgrade BIOS from current 3.20 to 3.60 in the hope that it fixes it? And if so, can I upgrade directly or do I have to do intermediate upgrades e.g. from 3.20 to 3.40 etc?

**I was just made aware of the G.Skill RAM configurator page and I now see that my GSkill modules are not on the recommended list. Could this be the cause of my problems?

cheers.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:52pm
Set your RAM to 2133 and see if the issue clears up. If it does then the RAM is
probably not quite stable at it's XMP. The Aegis series were designed for intel
systems, the AMD equivalent (G.Skill) is Fortis. You should still be able to get
it to work but you may need to manually enter the timings. Google search "Set up
RAM timings in Ryzen" and you should find a good number of tutorials and videos
on the subject.
Boggsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boggsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 12:17am
Thanks for your suggestion Xaltar.

Initially I just plugged and played all the modules, meaning that all the settings in the BIOS were set on AUTO. In the case of the RAM, this was autodetected and set at 2133. I noticed the micro stuttering/freezing problem as I mentioned and started fiddling about with the RAM frequency. I tried the XMP setting (3000) and all the others in between, but to be honest, I didn't notice much improvement, if any.
I'll try to fiddle around with the latency timings but I have half a mind to just return the modules and get one of the recommended ones instead.
Boggsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boggsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 3:58am
I was wondering if anyone might be able to answer my question about updating the BIOS from ver 3.20 to 3.60.

Is version 3.60 stable?
Do I have to upgrade in steps? i.e. 3.20->3.40->3.60? Or can I upgrade directly from 3.20 to 3.60?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 4:43pm
The only time you need to update incrementally is when there is a Bridge BIOS
involved. This usually happens when a new generation of CPU support is added.
This is typically signified by a major version number change; 1.xx to 2.xx etc.

For minor version changes you don't need to update to every version in between.
In fact, you want to avoid that. So going from 3.20 to 3.60 you just update
directly to 3.60. If you were on 1.XX or 2.XX then you would first need to
flash the Bridge BIOS and then directly flash from that to the latest BIOS
version.

So, to be clear, you can flash directly to 3.60 from 3.20.
Boggsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boggsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 5:44pm
Thank you Xaltar! That was as crystal as it could get!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic