ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bluetooth/WIFI Signal with Z390-ITX/ac phantom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toth21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bluetooth/WIFI Signal with Z390-ITX/ac phantom
    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 9:22pm
I have had problems since I built my SFF case now and again with the stability of the bluetooth (and wifi connection) of the phantom gaming onboard intel chip, but tweaking the location of the included antenna finally got me to a reliable state.

Now since yesterday it's become unusable. Just turning my headwith my headphones (tried 2 different BT headsets), or typing on my BT keyboard at the same time causes constant dropouts of signal. It's completely unusable, and no tweaking of the antenna is helping (distance is < 1m and nothing has changed with the RF environment). If I stand up and move a tiny bit, it starts dropping, and if I go more than 2 meters away the signal stops completely.

Is there some way I can further diagnose this? I can't find anyone to check the signal strength. Suspiciously the wifi signal is also really weak, with me needing to place the antenna 10 cm away from the the wifi router to get a 100% signal strength in the task bar.

Is it likely something broken in the hardware?
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:37pm
Dear Toth21,

Thanks for posting your query to ASRock forum.
This is technical support from ASRock.

Regarding your question about WiFi, kindly try the steps below:
1. Please download/install the WiFi and Bluetooth drivers from the following link:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXac/index.asp#Download
2. Please remove other USB devices from your system and try.
3. Please remove the motherboard from the chassis.
4. Please clean install the Win10.

If having done all of the steps above but the problem persists.
Please use a screwdriver to remove the silver part of the WiFi module on the motherboard and check if the cables are connected correctly on the WiFi card.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 03 Dec 2019 at 3:38pm
Toth21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toth21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 12:29am
For reference, I bought a pair of new antenna from amazon that are dual band 2.4 and 5 ghz. I can only screw on one because the plastic is too thick, but even with the one my bluetooth problems disappeared instantly. I can walk around my house with zero drop out on my headset, and my keyboard connection is rock solid.

The wifi signal on the 5ghz is also full strength (was only 3 out of the 4 bars), although the speed is a little slow I think.

Anyways just in case someone else has the soon. I hope ASRock reconsiders their package antennas for the future, because with the loose wires it's far more of a pain in the ass compared to the $10 I paid for a classic style plastic encased stick.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic