ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock bios for x370 chipset clarifications

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock bios for x370 chipset clarifications
    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 3:58am
You from the Asrock team have to explain one thing to me

I have an asrock x370 killer sli motherboard and recently I upgraded the gpu from an R9 390 to Rx 5700 ..

from the first moments I had huge problems with the video card, green screens, black screens and random bdos.

I had the bios version 5.40 (the last one recommended by you for the R7 1700 processor) .. in the description of the subsequent versions it is clearly written not to install these bios (5.50, 5.80) if you are in charge of one of the cpus in the list .:

* ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system.

I literally went crazy trying to understand and solve the problems that the Rx 5700 was creating for me .. including the RMA of the card that continued to give the same problems.

I have updated video card drivers and chipsets a hundred times, searched online solutions for hours and hours ...
in the end I went to the MSI and Gigabyte website and went to their bios update pages for x370 motherboards ... there were the exact same versions of agesa released by amd .. in particular: AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3 ABB, AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B
the same versions that Asrock advises against using ..

so I took courage and installed version 5.80 where amd clearly specifies:
- Improved PCI-E device compatibility.

the Rx 5700 has pci-e 4.0 but is backwards compatible with 3.0 ...
the problem is that this backward compatibility is created by the latter version of the bios, without which black, green and bdos screen errors occur.

Once version 5.80 was installed all the problems have been solved, the rx 5700 now works correctly without errors.

I literally went crazy to look for the source of my problems .. and I found it: the false information you give to your customers.

a lot of people out there with asrock cards are having my same problem .. just because you are advised not to update the bios to the latest version.

I will think twice before buying an asrock product again in the future.
Ryzen R7 1700 3.8ghz 1.3v| Msi R9 390 8GB DDR5| Ram GSkill Ripjaws V 3200mhz b-die F4-3200C15D-16GVR(3066mhz)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 5:31am
I will reach out to my contacts at ASRock about this again. The thinking behind it
was sound but with the release of the RX 5000 series it has become necessary to
update to "non-recommended" versions for some users. I think it's more a case
of pros and cons rather than deliberate misinformation. A lot of people have
more stable systems using the "recommended" BIOS versions for their CPUs. Bare
in mind that stable for one doesn't mean stable for all. I suspect they recieve
less support requests with the warning in place than without. Many people update
for the sake of updating, especially with AM4. Nevertheless, I think its past
time to at the very least update the recommendation to include something like
"unless you have XXXX GPU installed".
Denroth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 8:41pm

I understand your point of view,
with version 5.10 I was better .. especially for overclocking
but it is not a valid justification for not recommending the latest versions of the bios .. especially when there are updates for compatibility with new products.

version 5.80 for example it seems to me that it does not have LLC on the cpu voltage, while version 5.10 had it for both cpu and vsoc.

in my opinion your must also insert some patch notes to make the customer understand what was done in that version ... and not keep it for you.
it's a question of transparency with your customers ... if there was a more detailed description or more in-depth notes rather than a "simple" ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS.

I would have avoided a lot of problems ...
there are a lot of people out there who are having the same problems that i had and probably have an older generation asrock motherboard and are changing gpu.
Ryzen R7 1700 3.8ghz 1.3v| Msi R9 390 8GB DDR5| Ram GSkill Ripjaws V 3200mhz b-die F4-3200C15D-16GVR(3066mhz)
ThreeDee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 1:52am
I had same issue on x470 Master Sli/ac when I first got my 5700xt .. had to select Gen2 until they released an updated bios that included a Gen3 option instead of just auto as the mobo didn't know what to do with Gen4 and couldn't auto negotiate to Gen3.

I am one of those people that update my bios all the time whether I am having issues or not ... despite ASRock's "warnings" ..
|Ryzen 3700x|ASRock X570 Steel Legend-BIOS 3.00|2x16GB HyperX Predator PC3200@PC3600(CAS16)1:1 IF|ASRock RX 5700XT|2x512GB NVMe|850 WTT EVGA GQ 80+ Gold PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:19am
Originally posted by ThreeDee ThreeDee wrote:

I am one of those people that update my bios all the time whether I am having issues or not ... despite ASRock's "warnings" ..

The warning was never there to stop people like us experimenting and playing with
our systems It was there to stop newbies that don't understand the risks or
know how to recover from issues. No amount of warnings are enough to stop hardcore
tinkerers
ThreeDee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Originally posted by ThreeDee ThreeDee wrote:

The warning was never there to stop people like us experimenting and playing with
our systems It was there to stop newbies that don't understand the risks or
know how to recover from issues. No amount of warnings are enough to stop hardcore
tinkerers
|Ryzen 3700x|ASRock X570 Steel Legend-BIOS 3.00|2x16GB HyperX Predator PC3200@PC3600(CAS16)1:1 IF|ASRock RX 5700XT|2x512GB NVMe|850 WTT EVGA GQ 80+ Gold PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic