ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tried to add memory but

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tried to add memory but
    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 7:50am
Hello,

Ive tried to find help in some computer forums but it didnt lead to a solution so Im trying it here. Let me first state I tried all of this on a friend's advice and apparently it wasnt the right advice.

My motherboard is:

ASRock B85M Pro4

On it I put:

Crucial Ballistix Sport - Geheugen - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pins - DDR3 - 1600 MHz

(Geheugen means memory)
When I assembled the PC (with the same friend) about 3 years ago.
I put it in the A1 and A2 slot, which I just found out is not adviced, but it worked flawless for 3 years nevertheless.

Now today I bought 2 more memory sticks of the same gb size and the same mhz rate. My friend said brand did not matter. (and in the manual later, I found it says that it; does)

I tried all combinations.
ABAB, AABB, BABA. In all cases with 4 in the slots i get the message:

"Channel B did not pass CPU memory test"

Acting on advice from the forum I changed in my BIOS the XMP profile to 1. Since my old memory was running on 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz as well.
This did not change the 4 modules problem though.

Also when i put the old memory sticks in A1 B1 order it gives the same error message. While that is adviced in the manual...?

I seriously spent this entire evening on this and I dont get any further besides my PC almost not turning on anymore.
I powered on and off twice EVERY time, and then my screen would not turn on even tho the pc did. ANd later even the PC did not turn on at all anymore.

I put everything back in original position, did CMOS clear and now its working again.

Is this hopeless? Should I just get other RAM? But even though it says take a different brand, then why does my B channel not work in any given situation. Not even with A1, B2...?
RLGL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 12:19am
Best practice for 2 sticks is to use slots A2 and B2.
Best practice when adding memory is to buy a matched set. One cannot mix and match memory. The memory the board supports is found in the QVL for the board. http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M%20Pro4/index.asp#Memory
Scroll down the page and select support, that will get you to the QVL lists for the board.
Note 32 bit windows only supports 4GB
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic