ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock X570 Steel Legend Audio Failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HumanJHawkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock X570 Steel Legend Audio Failure
    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 10:08am
I am using the ASRock X570 Steel Legend with AMD Ryzen 3600 and Windows 10. Windows is fully updated as of 2020/04/18.

I was having trouble hearing my left channel(s), so I went to find the little app most manufacturers include to click on different speakers to test them... Could not find this, and realized I had never installed a non default Microsoft audio driver.

So, I downloaded the Realtek driver from the Steel Legend support page and ran it's setup.exe. It appeared to install and asked for a restart (which I did).

On restart, neither front nor back panel audio works at all. The Realtek Windows store app installed itself as your support site said it would. Yet it has nothing useful... No speaker test... No info...

Clearly, the install broke what was working, and added nothing. So I uninstalled all of that and used Windows update to get back to the default drivers.

With the default Microsoft drivers, the front audio ports work (left and right stereo only). However, the back ports are all still dead.

This appears to be a driver issue as it was working with 5.1 sound before the attempt to use "official" drivers. Can anyone identify the actual hardware or audio chipset on this motherboard, so I can go find drivers that will work? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 10:13am
I've tried to manually install Realtek drivers and mess with settings etc and I always seem to screw it up .. so I just go into sound settings and click "Troubleshoot" and the windows auto help me window pops up asking me stuff and I say "no" when it asks if I heard whatever (whether I heard anything or not) and then let windows fix it and then my sound works like it should.
|Ryzen 5 5600x|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.10|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3800 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 5700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
HumanJHawkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HumanJHawkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 12:29pm
Thanks. The troubleshooter didn't work this time, but I did work it out.

To fix this, I...
1. Uninstalled everything I could think of related to Realtek (again).
2. Found the (then unknown) audio hardware in Device Manager.
3. Told it to manually install a driver, and to let me pick which one.
4. Told it to search the extracted folder of drivers downloaded from ASRock.
INTERIM RESULT: I was presented with two options
5. Told it to install the one that was labeled as NOT being the right one.
RESULT: All Audio works at least at a basic level.

Yet still, there is no well-built control panel where I can test each audio channel for example, and configure things properly. Because of this I am having other issues, such as low volume when looking at a sound source in a 3d game... Clearly it is trying to pipe sound to a non-existent center channel, and dropping the volume on the left and right to compensate.

Premier audio was one of the selling points of this board. I'm not happy with this experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic