ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z97M anniversary Memory Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z97M anniversary Memory Issue
    Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 6:17pm
I had a z97M with a cpu G3258 and 4x2g corsair XMS3 (CMX4GX 3M2A 1600 C7) in Dual channell = Everything works fine and also overclocking cpu to 4ghz

Today i replaced the cpu with i5 4670K and the mobo didn't started.

I removed 3 memory stick and the mobo started again.
Also the mobo works with 2 sticks NOT in dual channell (a1 + a2) like in picture:

Each other combination fails it seems the mobo reject the dual channell mode and also b1 + b2 in singol channel doesn't work

I'm running the last bios.
I've loaded the defaults bios settings before replacing cpu and after.
I've booted the mobo with all memory slots empty to reset memory motherboard settings.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 8:12pm
Check to make sure no pins got bent in the socket. If there are no bent pins make
sure the CPU substrate isn't bent. I had a 6600k that had a corner bent up and
it resulted in only one working memory channel. After clamping the CPU between 2
blocks of wood with some creative shims in a vice I was able to carefully straighten
it and it's worked fine ever since.

Edited by Xaltar - 14 Aug 2020 at 8:12pm
krob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 9:59pm
This is the cpu. Do you mean there should be something wrong with cpu geometry?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 1:34am
Make sure the contacts are clean and that the substrate (the green PCB with the
contacts on it) is not warped or bent. Looking at your pics it doesn't seem bent.
I do see some dirty looking contacts, use some IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and a cotton
bud to clean them all nicely so there is no discoloration.

Check the CPU socket on the motherboard too and make sure there are no bent/misaligned
pins.
krob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 4:47am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Check to make sure no pins got bent in the socket. If there are no bent pins make
sure the CPU substrate isn't bent. I had a 6600k that had a corner bent up and
it resulted in only one working memory channel. After clamping the CPU between 2
blocks of wood with some creative shims in a vice I was able to carefully straighten
it and it's worked fine ever since.

Man you were right! I' ve removed the fan from the cpu and cleaned the thermal compound from the corners of cpu and this fixed the problem.

I'd never thought this coud cause a memory failure!

Thank you very much.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 5:15am
Enjoy the upgrade
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic