ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X570 Phantom Gaming-itx M.2 Heatsink CLEARANCE?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Phantom Gaming-itx M.2 Heatsink CLEARANCE?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Phantom Gaming-itx M.2 Heatsink CLEARANCE?
    Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 12:49am
Since the X570 Phantom Gaming-itx M.2 slot is on the BOTTOM of the PC, and therefore has very limited clearance height, exactly what is the maximum safe allowable thickness of M.2 board and heatsink combination?

FWIW, I find it quite odd that a PCIE Gen 4.0 Motherboard, which for many at this time is a primary reason for choosing this X570 technology, would be design-constrained on the higher-performance M.2 Gen 4 installation because ASRock hasn't included the requisite heatsink, and most (if not all?) heatsinked SSDs will NOT fit it. Or have I missed something here?
Thank you in advance for your insight and assistance.
muziqaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 9:23pm
When buying mini ITX or ITX motherboard you have to understand that there will be major spacing limitations and design corner cutting in order to fit everything on the motherboard. You cannot expect same feature set and ease of use from ITX as you would from ATX form factor.
You can fit as thick m.2 drive as your case allows. Quick google reveals similar limitations from other MOBO manufacturers, not just Asrock.
folding@home
rlantis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 11:27pm
Hey, Newbie,
While I do appreciate your effort to respond, I'd just like to point out that you seemed to have missed or ignored the point of my post, didn't offer a helpful answer, and didn't state anything that's more than common knowledge among PC builders. I've been building them since the first IBM XT clones came out, and know that your statement is very true.

Someone else who's already encountered this issue with this particular MB likely knows the answer to my question. My statement about the absurdity of creating an advanced MB that's capable of the very newest (in this case, PCIE 4) performance, yet deliberately designed to nearly eliminate that potential, still stands. Note that the competing X570 MBs don't sabotage their M.2 Gen 4 capabilities. I need Thunderbolt 3, so choose to deal with the consequences and will create whatever work-around I must do; nonetheless, as a consumer I'll still complain about ASRock's poor decision!
muziqaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 11:42pm
Now now, it's not nice to call names. For all you know I might have been building PCs even longer than you ;)
Now to your point. Am I to understand that you are not happy with M.2 slot which is underside of the motherboard at the bottom part, Yes? And you are not sure if you can fit SSDs with heatsinks? Yes? From what I understand the heatsink on the SSD would hit the case frame.
Now, what would you like Asrock do here? Create their own form factor? AMD tried already and kinda failed with DTX. If you search for ASUS x570 itx board, you will see that their selection has M.2 slot exactly in the same place as Asrock, because they are adhering to the ITX form factor specifications and layout. Things need to be routed in the PCB to be connected, thus the location of M.2 slot.
Now, if you still want to pretend to be a smartass, go ahead and wait for any of Asrock official guys to respond (which will be never most likely), other than that have a nice day, Newbie, one Star :D
folding@home
rlantis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 12:17am
Sorry about the Newbie, thing: I looked over and honestly thought that was your screen name, and wasn't at all meant as a put-down. My apologies! In this forum, looks as if I'm the "newest" newbie.

So, I would've better expected ASRock to do as others did, and not hamper the Gen 4 M.2, and yes, while importantly maintaining the M.2 standard form factor.    
For example, the ASUS X570 itx, which actually has 2 slots, if I correctly recall has an integrated through-the-MB heatsink for the one that's on the bottom of the board, thereby allowing Gen 4 performance. The slot on top is on a type of riser stack, given the limited real-estate, and with room for heatsinks.
But so far no other itx X570 MBs offer Thunderbolt, thus my work-around compromise. Not that I want to, but if necessary I'll create a case cutout with a shallow pan to allow adequate clearance for my SSD. Hopefully, though, there's a low-height heatsink that might still fit.
Yeah, so far itx is always some sort of compromise, and we just pick what's most important to us, eh? Thanks for your feedback, Muziqaz. So, you say I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for an ASRock response? :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic