ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CPU-Whining?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenkei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CPU-Whining?
    Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:44pm
Recently I've noticed that my PC does some strange buzzing noises on idle, when the energy plan is set to "performance" mode. I'm pretty sure that it comes from the CPU socket area of the motherboard.  Disabling the C-States and/or setting the energy plan to "balanced" stops the noise.
However, I get a weird buzzing/highpitched noise while moving the mouse, no matter which energy plan is set or when the C-States are disabled. Lowering the polling rate of the mouse will also lower the noise, but it's still there. I've tried 3 mice and everyone has the same accustic feedback, which is kind of annoying.
I've already removed my GPU,WLAN Card, soundsystem, monitors,keyboard etc. and plugged my PC in a different wall socket, but without any luck.
Any thoughts what could cause this?

My system:
Case: Fractal Design Define S
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 550W ATX 2.4
MB: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k
GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 970
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4, 3000Mhz
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
WLAN: Asus PCE-AC68
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 11:52pm
You will need to try and identify exactly where the noise is coming from. It may be necessary to take the board out of the PC and bench run it so you can gain access to more of the board and check where the whine is coming from. My guess would be one of the power coils near the VRMs or possibly the GPU. If that is the case I would RMA the guilty culprit. The "whine" is due to the design of coils and the insulation used to "deaden" this sound, if there is not enough insulation the sound will be audible, generally it does not effect performance or life span, it is just annoying. I usually recommend RMA as it will drive you crazy over time.
Tenkei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenkei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 1:12am
Thanks for the clarification.

I removed the GPU again (just to make sure) and the backpanel of the case. The backside of the motherboard is fortunately visible so I didn't have to take it out.

I think you're right. it's one of the coils near of the rear panel I/O. I already requested an RMA of the motherboard because the noise is giving me headeaches.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 2:21am
Its always best to RMA any component that has a coil whine when you first notice it. I have had to live with a GPU that had coil whine once because I missed the return window and that thing annoyed me so much I ended up giving it away and buying a new one......

Irritatingly it worked fine in a friend's PC, that or his fans were so loud he couldn't hear it lol
castelL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 10:52am
I buy only few days motherboard AsRock Z170 Extreme4 and i have noise/sound issue coming from motherboard "coil whine", specifically coming from VRM-CPU or something I/O. I return it and i buy expensive motherboard: AsRock Z170 Gaming K6 which also has "coil whine" noise/sound problem again coming from VRM-CPU or something I/O.

PC specs:

i7-6700k+scythe mugen max
kingston fury x 2x 8gb 2400mhz
r9 390 msi
250gb ssd, 2x 1tb hdd
evga 750w g2

I tried other/another: psu, ram, without gpu (igpu), cpu. disable ssd/hdd/coolers and not help me. If you disable C-state, problem solved on Gaming K6, but this "solution" not help me on Extreme4. I very disappointed with AsRock boards, specifically Z170. I have few boards (Haswell) B85 chipset without any issue. AsRock have great motherboard for price/perfomance. Any coil whine on Z170 chipset, have only AsRock :(

Now i don't feel my board on RMA, because in my country (Slovakia), RMA solved mostly 30+ days. This is my work PC and i need working. Probably solution is again returned mothearboard and buy another brand.

Or is there other solution?

Sorry for bad English.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 11:09am
castelL,

Seeings your on a second board and hearing a whine, I guess it's possible, but I highly doubt two boards would present the same issue. Not one after the other.

You don't say what Country you're from, yet another cause of coil whine is attributable to dirty power and or current coming in from the outside, off the distribution pole.

Are you positive it's not coming from a fan(caes or HS/F) or quite possibly a piece of the HS mounting or anything else metal that is loosely in harmonics and in turn resonating to the pitch you're hearing ?

X370 SLI/ac(r1.03, BIOS 5.10), 1500X, H115i, F4-4133C19D-16GTZA, 970 EVO M.2 250GB + 500GB, Tt Core X9 Black

16,441 - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13030306
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 2:01pm
The odds of getting 2 boards with coil whine is almost impossible. If you have had 2 boards that exhibit the same problem then it can't be a fault with the board.

I would guess as Wardog said, probably bad power getting to the unit somehow. Your description exactly matches the symptoms of coil whine on a motherboard, even the reduction in whine when disabling C-States. The good news is that it is not a sign of a damaged/defective product. If disabling C-States cuts out the noise then using it in this way is perfectly safe. 

This issue happens fairly often, more commonly in GPUs. I have never had or seen an ASRock board with this problem however so the likelihood you have gotten so unlucky as to get 2 in a row are slim to none. If you can, try borrowing a UPS and connecting the system through that and see if it helps the issue. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 3:30pm
I had this problem with an Intel G45 board. Disabling C States stopped the whining, but the CPU in that board had very simple C States, possibly only C3 at that time.

The coil whine is most likely from the inductors used in the CPU VRMs. My ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board has no coil whine, and I use C States.

To verify it is the CPU VRM stage making the noise, all video cards must be removed from the board. Trying to locate the source of very high frequency noise like coil whine is difficult and tricky. I've heard of SSDs producing coil whine-like noise.

Imagine production runs of various mother boards. They all don't use parts from the same production run from the part supplier. So imagine a less than optimally damped production run of inductors is received by a mother board manufacture. Any of the boards using those parts have the potential for having the coil whine problem.

If a board is returned to a retailer for this issue, and is replaced with another one of the same model, the two boards may have been from the same shipment or even the same large box received by the store. Meaning they were made and packaged on the same day, and all have the same parts. So it is possible to get two boards that both have a coil whine problem. PSUs and video cards can have the same situation with their parts.

Of course, to conclude that all ASRock Z170 boards have coil whine when a person has used two of them, is completely wrong and is not an example of critical thinking. Just as it would be wrong for me to say other Z170 boards cannot have coil whine, because my Z170 board does not have coil whine. 

Unfortunately, some people will read the one sentence about coil whine in an ASRock Z170 board, and will believe and remember it. That is even worse but all to common on the Internet. I try to notice and fix/refute nonsense statements like this in forums, but some people enjoy hating things.

Noise in the AC line can cause this, as well as less than optimal AC filtering in a PSU. That's why I always use some sort of AC line filtering device (NOT necessarily a UPS, which I don't like), or several in series. Also, nothing less than the best PSUs, Seasonic or others from known OEMs like SuperFlower or Delta.

There is only so much that can be done to clean up noise. Poor AC power sources are all to common. Ever since I began using Kill-A-Watt products, I can judge a power source pretty well after a while. I live in a good power area now. Lamp
Tenkei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenkei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 6:25pm
Today I checked my system again and here's what I've found out:

- Changing to "power savings" in power plan settings stops the noise completely. No more highpitched sounds when I'm moving the mouse. The major drawback is that the CPU frequency won't go up higher than 800Mhz.

- I noticed that my system produces some noises when the SSD is under load. I opened the side panel of the case to check while Crystaldiskmark was running. The SSD stayed quiet, but I heard some highpitched noises around the VRM of the motherboard (under the heatsink of the Z170 Logo I believe).

- The PSU is so silent that it's actually difficult to tell if the fan is even spinning.

- The system is plugged into an outlet surge protector. Nothing changes when I plug the system directly into the wall socket. Also my alienware notebook and Zotac Zbox don't have this problem. 

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Noise in the AC line can cause this, as well as less than optimal AC filtering in a PSU. That's why I always use some sort of AC line filtering device (NOT necessarily a UPS, which I don't like), or several in series. Also, nothing less than the best PSUs, Seasonic or others from known OEMs like SuperFlower or Delta.

Which AC line filtering device are you currently using?

castelL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 8:02pm
I have another build with ASUS H110, G4400 and 4GB DDR4 without any coil whine problem.

Extreme4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpzCSg_PsCk

Gaming K6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnsKHB859SE

I try:

- cooler scythe mugen max or box
- other RAM
- other PSU (Fractal Integra M)
- disable SSD or HDD
- with GPU and without GPU (iGPU)
- unplug the USB

C-state disable currently solved this problem but i think that isn't a great solution.

Thats not help me! My build before was i5-4690k with MSI Z97 boards and no problem with same anoher components. On my PSU i tested a lot of builds without any problem.

Edited by castelL - 28 Jan 2016 at 8:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic