ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CPU-Whining?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by castelL castelL wrote:

On my PSU i tested a lot of builds without any problem.

I'm confused now. I thought the PSU was New as you posted earlier?
X370 SLI/ac(r1.03, BIOS 5.10), 1500X, H115i, F4-4133C19D-16GTZA, 970 EVO M.2 250GB + 500GB, Tt Core X9 Black

16,441 - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13030306
castelL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 8:18pm
New build is only cpu-mobo-ram (skylake). Other components is older. Buyed in 2015 (march). Now i bought Skylake platform in this month. I working sometimes with HW, thats a reason i try with my PSU other builds. Sorry, my bad.

actually my builds is:

i7-6700k + scythe mugen max
asrock z170 gaming k6
2x 8gb ddr4 2400mhz kingston
msi r9 390
crucial ssd mx200 250gb
2x 1tb wd blue
evga g2 750w
fractal design r5

Edited by castelL - 28 Jan 2016 at 8:23pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by castelL castelL wrote:

Sorry, my bad.

It's fine. I was only looking for clarification before commenting further.

The 500w PSU is at the minimum for powering a GTX 970.

I might suggest laying your hands on a solid, Seasonic/Superflower built 650w and retest.

Yea. I'm still standing by this being power related. Just now it's narrowing down some in considering the PSU is used and at it's limits with powering a 970 now. I may be wrong too but it's unbelievable to get two different boards, mind you same installed components!!, and have a whining issue.
X370 SLI/ac(r1.03, BIOS 5.10), 1500X, H115i, F4-4133C19D-16GTZA, 970 EVO M.2 250GB + 500GB, Tt Core X9 Black

Tenkei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenkei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 8:58pm
@castelL

My motherboard whines like your extreme4/K6. It sounds awful combined with the highpitched buzzing noise when I'm moving the mouse.

ASRock replied to my concern and they told me that I should replace the motherboard... I hope that the new one, which will arrive on next week, will fix this once and for all. If not, then I'm stuck in a vicious circle.

I will try to reseat and check every component carefully, change every cable etc.
castelL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 12:09am
I have AMD graphic card - MSI R9 390 and PSU Evga 750w G2 it must be enough. I tried yet other PSU without graphic card (iGPU enable): Fractal Design Integra M 450W and Antec 550W (both 80PLUS Bronze) and it did not help. Is there possible option bios fix it? It seems to me impossible :D

Now i think is nothing help me with this "issue". I don't time to wait for RMA assessment. I have ordered another brand but still i wait for another brand help me or no. I will write as soon as possible.

ASUS board with i7-6700k or G4400 it's OK, no coil whine but is h110 chipset. I asked the shop how many motherboard sold: Extreme4 (only 1 witch i bought) Gaming K6 (only 2 witch 1 i bought).
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 12:30am
Unfortunately this happens on occasion, as Parsec stated it is caused by a batch of components that have poor sound dampening finding their way to a manufacturer. The problem is that the testing phase of the production line checks for electronic failures not for coil whine. Seeing as the parts work within specification regardless of poor sound dampening means they get through quality control and onto the shelves. Electronically speaking there is nothing wrong with them but oh boy can it be annoying having that whine/hiss/buzz coming from your PC. 

Based on the fact that there are 2 of you with 3 boards between you that have coil whine I would guess that there is a batch of boards out there that received these less sound insulated components as Parsec explained. ASRock already stated that they recommend and RMA which should tell you that they value their product reputation and quality. I have on more than one occasion had a manufacturer refuse me and RMA for coil whine with GPUs. The thing is, legally speaking they are not obligated to as the products are functioning as per specification. The fact that ASRock (among others) now actually encourage RMA for coil whine is a great sign for customer satisfaction. 

I am sorry you have opted for another brand but given that you have had 2 different model boards from that store that both had whine it is probably your best option unless you chose to get a refund from that store and purchase a new ASRock board from another one (hardly practical).

Good luck with your issue and I sincerely hope that you resolve your issue regardless of the brand of board. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 4:04am
Agreed. You(we) have tried and looked at what we can.

Send he back.

Grimmkyu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grimmkyu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:27pm
I know this thread is 9 months old now, but I recently got the same motherboard and it's making the same noises. Rather mainly the noises in the video one guy linked earlier and it coincides with heavy ssd usage even though the device is not directly making noise but rather near the CPU area is. Should I leave as is and not worry about it? The computer was a prebuilt by Microcenter. My PC specs are MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G I7-6700k 4.00ghz CPU AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 SanDisk z400s 256gb SSD EVGA SuperNOVA 650w P2 modular. As it is a prebuilt I would have to return the entire setup to the store or void warranty and switch boards. Has anyone with this issue noticed any issues because of it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic