ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Driver for onboard ethernet when installing server
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driver for onboard ethernet when installing server

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azzorps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver for onboard ethernet when installing server
    Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 9:07am
Hi,

I have a X99 Extreme4/3.1 motherboard, i have just installed microsoft server 2012 r2 onto my system. i have run into a problem where i cannot install a driver for the onboard ethernet card. i have tried downloading the LAN driver from the asrock site and installing it but i get an error message saying i dont have any intel adapters onboard... Can someone please tell me where i can geta driver please?

Cheers 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 1:17pm
Did you install the INF file installer, the INF driver ver:10.1.2.10 file listed in the download page for most if not all Windows versions listed for your board? That might be causing the network driver for your board's I218V network chip to fail finding it. But you may not even be able to run the INF file installer with Server 2012 R2.

You're using MS Server 2012 R2, which will force you to search for compatible drivers, since 2012 R2 is not officially supported by your board.

What I tried doing is going to ASRocks Server/Workstation products pages, and tried to find one that uses the I218V chip that your board does. The closest I came was the I217LM or I210 chips. For example, this is the Server 2012 R2 download page for a board with those network chips. Click on the Server 2012 R2 entry:

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPC612D4I#Download

Note the INF file installer on this boards page, which might be useful to you.

The general link to these boards is this: http://www.asrockrack.com/general/products.asp#Server

I vaguely recall there is a trick to getting an Intel network driver for PCs installed on Server 2012, but how that is done I don't remember.

This is Intel's list of drivers for the I218-V, but you won't find Server 2012 R2 listed. You will need to search through this list to find a driver. In general, Windows 8 drivers can be compatible with Server 2012, such as the 19.5 version network drivers.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/71305/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I218-V

Montoya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 4:04am
Try this download for your MS Server 2012 R2 driver :

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Connections-CD

This Zip file contains the latest Intelē°§ Ethernet network drivers and software for currently supported versions of Windows*, Linux* and FreeBSD* for most Intelē°§ Ethernet Adapters (I218-V included)

I used this CD to update my Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac (Intel I219V) with the latest Win10x64 network drivers, which Asrock still haven't incorparated in their own downloads section.

edit: added ref to Win10x64

Edited by Montoya - 03 Feb 2016 at 5:57am
Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac, Intel i5-6500, Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Fractal Design Core 500, Win10 Pro X64
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 5:23am
ASRock does not provide any Windows Server NIC/PHY drivers for this board, otherwise there would be a download section titled Windows Server 2012 R2.

NIC/PHY drivers are OS specific once above consumer/desktop OSs. They are for the most part limited via the installation process to determine if the OS being installed onto/into meets the minimum OS requirements.
Nothing here. Move on!

16,441 - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13030306
comtec_computer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comtec_computer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 5:14am
When you update the device driver from device manager, select the option to manually search for a driver. Then browse the list of available drivers.
Pick: Intel
Then scroll down and pick: Intel i218v LM
Working 100000%TongueTongue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic