ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Q1900-ITX with Ubuntu 16.04 Freezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NX3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 4:57pm
After much searching I've found the issue is a linux kernal bug caused by cstate. It doesn't look like Intel are helping much on this given it effect a vast range of chips by them and they are a linux supporter.

Details here along with some manual work arounds which so far are working for me. It looks like kernal 4.8 or 4.9 might fix it but I've not tried them yet.

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 5:17pm
Thank you for the update and info, I will hold on to that link for anyone else experiencing these issues Thumbs Up 
lodger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:30am
i have same problem with ArchLinux but sometimes it also freezes in As Rock BIOS menu!!!!!! then isn't a linux problem.

Edited by lodger - 17 Feb 2017 at 6:46am
2del View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2del Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 2:52am
I can confirm I have same identical problem on N3150DC-ITX:
ubuntu 16.04 - fully up to date, freezes every few days.
It freezes also in BIOS.

I noticed there is a bios 1.8 update, but why it's only for N3150-ITX and not added also to N3150DC-ITX?

I tried to take the one from N3150-ITX, I've put it on a stick but instantflash doesn't find anything.
I also tried the over the internet update from bios, again does not find anything (note: it does find the stick with the files, as in the boot devices I can see it listed. It's FAT32, freshly formatted, etc..)

lodger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 3:05am
then i TOTALLY solved setting these options on BIOS ("Advanced\CPU Configuration"):

- Intel SpeedStep Technology (ON)
- CPU C States Support (OFF)
- Enhanced Halt State (OFF)

Edited by lodger - 11 Apr 2017 at 3:06am
2del View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2del Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 4:07pm
Thanks for the reply @lodger. I saw that, I've configured in BIOS, and we'll see. 

The intriguing part is that the bios 1.8 should resolve some issues, and they did not release it for the DC version. I don't understand why bios would even different from the non DC version, or why they did not release the fixes. 

@ASRock: please remember to provide the bios update for us as well, and kindly inform what are the exact fixes incorporated in each release.
mschwartz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mschwartz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 6:15am
I had similar issues with Ubuntu using I7 7700.

The fix was to update the bios. The bios has the ability to download the uodate to USB flash drive, then flash the system from the flash drive.

It seemed to be Ethernet network related. Downloading the bios update locked up, not even running Ubuntu at that point.

The c-state trick and others did nothing. The bios flash turned my system into a rock solid workstation.

ASRock DeskMini 110 with I7 7700, 32G RAM, Samsung 960 EVO NVME, 960GB SanDisk SSD. An active DisplayPort to HDMI gets me 4K @ 60Hz. I got a 40" UHD TV for $299, and it is fast and a delight to use at native resolution.

I did some software development (multi minute) compiles on this and my other systems. This box is about 1.5x faster than my iMac 5K, maxed out. Even faster than my 4K 21" iMac and 2015 15" MacBook Pro.

I installed Cinnamon 3 as my GUI.

The system cost about $1250, including the TV. A fraction (less than half) of the cost of any of those mac machines.

You can build a $400 system with I3 7100 that's a capable workstation. If you don't need the computing or disk space.

I hope this helps someone out there.
Pepe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 4:31pm
Hello,
I have also this issue with my Q1900-ITX board. 
I'm currently running Debian 8 with kernel 4.9, but I will try to as lodger suggested and I will respond here. 

Anyway it is really shame that this issue is known since 2015. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic