ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

G41C-GS R2.0 Ram, cpu, psu compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wc3neverdies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G41C-GS R2.0 Ram, cpu, psu compatibility
    Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 6:04pm
Hello

I have a problem and i don't know if it's related with the motherboard compatibility with other components, i checked the compatbility list so they shuold work.
Here the specs :

Motherboard: AsRock G41C-GS R2.0 
RAM: Kingston Hyperx blu model KHX1600C9D3B1 4gb DDR3
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 2.83ghz
Graphic Card: Nvidia quadro 4600
I thought that maybe is a problem related with the Psu
PSU: ablecom power supply sp 420-rp   420watt

My computer turns off itself if i run heavy games or programs. I've already checked the CPU temperature, it's always below 50c so i don't think is that the cause.
I've already surfed the internet to find a solution but didn't found any.

I hope someone can help

Thanks

Edited by wc3neverdies - 01 Oct 2016 at 6:06pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 6:33pm
While gaming, place your hand near the exhaust of the PSU.

It should feel cool to warm but not hot.

----------

Next, while simply idling, do the same thing.

It should feel col  to cool.
wc3neverdies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wc3neverdies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

----------

Well it's lukewarm....so it's ok?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 12:43am
Originally posted by wc3neverdies wc3neverdies wrote:

----------

Lukewarm at idle? Or while gaming?

Lukewarm at idle I myself might swap in a higher grade PSU to test with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wc3neverdies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 9:37pm

Originally posted by wc3neverdies wc3neverdies wrote:

----------

Lukewarm at idle? Or while gaming?

Lukewarm at idle I myself might swap in a higher grade PSU to test with.

Lukewarm while gaming, at idle it's cool. So it should work fine, and it's not releted with the issue.

I digged  into this, and i found out that mabe it's a RAM problem, cause i have only 1 Ram with 4 gb, and i read somewhere that the chipset only support dual ram, so i caa have 2x2gb ram o 2x4gb ram, i have already bought a new 4gb ram, when i install it i will update this thread

Edited by wc3neverdies - 02 Oct 2016 at 9:39pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 11:58pm
Have you checked the temperature of your video card while gaming?

A Quadro 4600 is a work station type video card, not designed for gaming. The models I found have less than 1GB of memory, and is rather old and does not support the newer graphics specifications.

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-nvidia-quadro-fx-4600-pci-e-768mb/specs/

Your PC case ventilation could be affecting the temperature of this video card. More memory could help, but that alone may not be the fix.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wc3neverdies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:16am
So, i tried to search some other info about it, still not found a solution. I am aware that the video card is old and is not designed for gaming, i didnt made this pc for it, but some times i like playing them. The problem seems to have stopped, but yesterday the pc has rebooted itself again, this time i wasnt's playing any game, just running programs like photoshop and stuff. The pc rebooted and i lost all my work. 
I need to solve this, i cant just save any 5 seconds becasue im afraid it could reboot at any time. 
So i tought that was the ram, i was wrong maybe, so the only thing that can cause the issue is the PSU.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 12:33pm
I searched for information about your Ablecom 420 RP PSU. I found multiple versions with the same model number, SP420-RP. They all seem to be used units, with prices ranging from the insanely high, to $29.

While originally made for Servers, the voltage rails are designed for the Intel pre-Core type Pentium processors, that primarily used the +3.3V and +5V rails, rather than the +12V rail, that became the primary rail for the CPU and graphics cards. I saw versions that had a 20 pin ATX connector, and another with a 24 pin ATX connector. Examples of two versions I found:

A modern, 1,000W PSU will not have more than 25A capacity on the +3.3V and +5V rails. They are simply not used very much anymore. The +12V rail is the most important today.

The top picture shows multiple +12V rails, meaning the +12V load must be balanced across them to prevent overload. The lower picture has a single +12V rail.

Any idea which one of these you have, or possibly another version? If your PSU has a 20 pin ATX connector, then there is only one +12V pin supplying power to the entire mother board, except the CPU.

A video card can draw 75W from the +12V pins of a PCIe slot. Your FX 4600 is rated at 134W maximum power usage.

The PSU is the heart of any PC, without a good foundation, the rest of the system suffers. Personally, I'd never use a used PSU like this.

You can use a single channel memory configuration with your board and CPU. It's less efficient than dual channel, but dual channel is not required. The "only dual channel" comment might mean in contrast to triple channel (X58) or quad channel (X79, X99) systems.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wc3neverdies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 9:25pm
Thank you for your fast answer :) 

I have the second image PSU. So only 1 +12V pin.  In these days i was looking in the internet for a new PSU, cause it seems to be the problem, can u give me some advice to be sure i take a good one? 

Thank you

Edited by wc3neverdies - 20 Oct 2016 at 9:28pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:39pm
I generally recommend Seasonic power supplies as they have one of, if not the best reputation. Parsec may have his own preference/recommendation. Generally speaking any genuinely 80 plus (bronze, silver, gold or platinum) rated PSU should do the trick however. For your system I would go for 420 - 500w, 600w at the most. 

Do your due diligence and read reviews on whatever unit you are considering and make sure the reviews are from reputable sources, with power supplies in particular there are a lot of bogus reviews out there written by amateurs with no real understanding of what they are doing. The review must use proper tools (oscilloscope etc) and talk about things like ripple, capacitor quality and board layout otherwise it is not a valid review (you don't have to understand it, all you need to pay attention to is the final thoughts/conclusions). Tom's Hardware, Kit Guru, Tweaktown, Overclockers.net are all fairly reputable in this regard. A PSU does not have to be super expensive to be good for your system, many lower tier power supplies have a good rating.

Edited by Xaltar - 20 Oct 2016 at 11:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic