ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - REAR_FAN_1 Always on & USB boot w/EP2C602-4L/D16
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

REAR_FAN_1 Always on & USB boot w/EP2C602-4L/D16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dane Bramage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REAR_FAN_1 Always on & USB boot w/EP2C602-4L/D16
    Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 3:49am
I just completed a new build using the EP2C602-4L/D16 motherboard, in an InWin 707 case, and Corsair 760ATX PSU.  The rear fan of the case, which is a 3-pin and I have connected to the REAR_FAN_1 connector on the motherboard, is always on... even with the system powered down, even with the PSU switched off and even with the PSU unplugged from outlet (is the fan running off of the CMOS battery?!?!)Shocked

This is a new (& unwanted) "feature" for me.  Is there a BIOS setting I'm missing?  I haven't been able to find any resolution via searches.

Also - I am missing the "USB Device BBS Priorities" section under Boot in my BIOS (UEFI Version : P1.80, BMC Version : 0.18.0) as detailed in the manual (page 91).  I would really like to have this (need to boot from USB for new OS install, etc.,).   I have USB 2.0 Controller and Legacy USB Support Enabled.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by Dane Bramage - 19 Oct 2016 at 4:44am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Dane Bramage Dane Bramage wrote:

I just completed a new build using the EP2C602-4L/D16 motherboard, in an InWin 707 case, and Corsair 760ATX PSU.  The rear fan of the case, which is a 3-pin and I have connected to the REAR_FAN_1 connector on the motherboard, is always on... even with the system powered down, even with the PSU switched off and even with the PSU unplugged from outlet (is the fan running off of the CMOS battery?!?!)Shocked

This is a new (& unwanted) "feature" for me.  Is there a BIOS setting I'm missing?  I haven't been able to find any resolution via searches.

Also - I am missing the "USB Device BBS Priorities" section under Boot in my BIOS (UEFI Version : P1.80, BMC Version : 0.18.0) as detailed in the manual (page 91).  I would really like to have this (need to boot from USB for new OS install, etc.,).   I have USB 2.0 Controller and Legacy USB Support Enabled.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Since I was so helpful (not) in your other thread about this board, I thought I would try again here.

I've never used one of these boards, so my knowledge of them is limited to what I can pick out of the manuals.

Very strange that fan still runs with the PSU unplugged? I too am stunned by that. That fan seems to spin at the same speed with the PSU connected to AC power or unplugged? That seems impossible, but if you say it is... Confused

The naming of the fan headers, front or rear, is arbitrary and has no other use... except for this (possible) feature, which might make sense in a server environment. Wink

You could try using one of the "front" fan headers.

I read somewhere that the IPMI interface that these boards have, might be the place where you can configure that fan header's behavior. I'm not 100% certain about that, but looking at the manual, the Server Health, Sensor Readings screen might be where that is done.

The IPMI Guide is in the Manual section of your boards information page.

Regarding the USB Device BBS Priorities option, I have no idea why it is not shown in your UEFI version. But setting another option to a certain value in the UEFI can cause others to be removed. That may or may not be the case here, I'm not certain. It may be related to having Legacy USB Support enabled.

If you connect a USB flash drive with an OS installation media on it, it does not appear in the boot order?

Try setting Legacy USB support to Auto, or whatever the default value is, if that value is not Enabled.

So you installed Win 10 from an optical disk?
Dane Bramage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dane Bramage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:48am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Since I was so helpful (not) in your other thread about this board, I thought I would try again here.

What you lacked in helpfulness you more than made up in snark.  Wink

I've never used one of these boards, so my knowledge of them is limited to what I can pick out of the manuals.

Ouch

Very strange that fan still runs with the PSU unplugged? I too am stunned by that. That fan seems to spin at the same speed with the PSU connected to AC power or unplugged? That seems impossible, but if you say it is... Confused

Tell me about it.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.  The fan spins very slowly, but spinning nonetheless (fan leds lit as well).  I should make a video of it.  I didn't let it go too long jic it is CMOS battery.  I have extra but don't want to replace a dead CMOS battery atm.  I'll have to get to the bottom of this sooner or later of course. 

The naming of the fan headers, front or rear, is arbitrary and has no other use... except for this (possible) feature, which might make sense in a server environment. Wink

You could try using one of the "front" fan headers.

Not sure what you mean by arbitrary naming??  There are corresponding pin outs, all controllable via BIOS.  I know that I can utilize any available but don't see where that is headed towards any solution.

I read somewhere that the IPMI interface that these boards have, might be the place where you can configure that fan header's behavior. I'm not 100% certain about that, but looking at the manual, the Server Health, Sensor Readings screen might be where that is done.

The IPMI Guide is in the Manual section of your boards information page.

I'll double check.  Having fans run in power down mode....  just bizarre. 

ETA: I think I need to look at where/how the motherboard relay the PSU Off signal.  The "soft off" from the OS is, apparently, not getting sent from MoBo to PSU (guessing).  Ideas?

Regarding the USB Device BBS Priorities option, I have no idea why it is not shown in your UEFI version. But setting another option to a certain value in the UEFI can cause others to be removed. That may or may not be the case here, I'm not certain. It may be related to having Legacy USB Support enabled.

Cross off having legacy USB disabled.  BAD IDEA as I was no longer able to enter key strokes prior to Windows loading. Shocked  Good thing I had an old PS2 keyboard still around in the graveyard of tech obsolescence.  Sheesh!

If you connect a USB flash drive with an OS installation media on it, it does not appear in the boot order?
  Correct.         >ETA: Actually it does show up!  Unsure if I just missed it or it wasn't prior, but when I connected an 8TB external USB drive it showed up on boot menu, and that prompted me to try the USB again.  Good news!

Try setting Legacy USB support to Auto, or whatever the default value is, if that value is not Enabled.

So you installed Win 10 from an optical disk?

Yes, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ships via DVD.  I have a Bluray M disc burner on the build.

Edited by Dane Bramage - 20 Oct 2016 at 11:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic