ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

J3455-itx bios csm boot issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matrix2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J3455-itx bios csm boot issue
    Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 8:27pm
I am trying to use csm boot in order to run a memtest.
The problem is under csm module, it is impossible to enter bios after the graphics mode is selected to legacy only.
That is after csm module is enabled, the only way to enter bios is to reset bios settings by clearing cmos.
It should be possible to select both legacy and uefi video, or there needs to be another bios version which can boot under csm module.
The problem occurs under the latest bios version which is 1.10
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by matrix2020 matrix2020 wrote:

I am trying to use csm boot in order to run a memtest.
The problem is under csm module, it is impossible to enter bios after the graphics mode is selected to legacy only.
That is after csm module is enabled, the only way to enter bios is to reset bios settings by clearing cmos.
It should be possible to select both legacy and uefi video, or there needs to be another bios version which can boot under csm module.
The problem occurs under the latest bios version which is 1.10

Booting in UEFI mode requires the video source to be GOP compatible, which is the UEFI Graphics Output Protocol. That is a UEFI restriction that cannot be changed. It is simply impossible to boot a PC in UEFI mode when setting the CSM option, Launch Video OpROM Policy, to Legacy Only.

That is the reason CSM (Compatibility Support Module) exists, since older video cards do not support GOP. When CSM is enabled, the UEFI firmware is being run in emulated BIOS mode, and does not use any of the UEFI firmware features, except the GUI type interface to the UEFI options.

Intel's integrated graphics have supported GOP since the Sandy Bridge architecture, and your CPU's graphics should too. Do you have the Intel graphics driver installed?

If you have CSM set to Enabled, you will not be booting in UEFI mode.

If you did not install Windows in UEFI booting mode, you cannot simply change to UEFI booting mode after that.

Otherwise, the inability to enter the UEFI/BIOS in UEFI booting mode normally is caused by the Fast Boot option being set to Ultra Fast. The description of this option setting states it is impossible to enter the UEFI UI in the usual way. You must use the ASRock Restart to UEFI program, which uses a feature of Windows 8.1 and 10.

I'm assuming quite a bit here, since you did not provide any information about what OS you are using. Also, your description of your situation is not clear, such as did you install your OS in UEFI booting mode, and what exactly the situation is when you cannot enter the UEFI/BIOS. I'm guessing when you start or restart the PC, all you get is a black screen?
matrix2020 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matrix2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 2:20am
The problem is not with Windows (or any other OS).
After I enable csm, bios fails to load.
That is if I press F2 I get a black screen instead of getting into bios.
Only if I enable csm for video launch efi only (as opposed to launch legacy only), I am able to boot into bios.

If it is impossible to allow both legacy and efi bios boot, I would suggest the following:
1. Detect that F2 is pressed.
2. Quietly change the csm setting to video bios efi only.
3. Restart to load efi.
After the changes have been made, revert to csm video legacy only and reboot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matrix2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 2:23am
Wanted to add.
The way its currently designed, I am unable to make any changes to bios after csm is set and video oprom is set to legacy only.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:35am
Originally posted by matrix2020 matrix2020 wrote:

The problem is not with Windows (or any other OS).
After I enable csm, bios fails to load.
That is if I press F2 I get a black screen instead of getting into bios.
Only if I enable csm for video launch efi only (as opposed to launch legacy only), I am able to boot into bios.

If it is impossible to allow both legacy and efi bios boot, I would suggest the following:
1. Detect that F2 is pressed.
2. Quietly change the csm setting to video bios efi only.
3. Restart to load efi.
After the changes have been made, revert to csm video legacy only and reboot.

The CSM is set to Enabled by default. CSM is an option, and does not enable UEFI firmware operation, it causes UEFI firmware's operation to be bypassed, and run in primitive BIOS mode by the Compatibility Support Module BIOS firmware emulator.

When CSM is set to Disabled, the CSM BIOS firmware emulator is not used. The UEFI firmware is then allowed to actually run/operate as it should. At least we can turn off CSM.

Even though you have the option to set Launch Video OpROM Policy, to Legacy Only, that is actually what the OpROM Policy is already set to when CSM is Enabled. So something else is wrong.

Since you still have not described in better detail what you are trying to do (which memtest, Windows? Memtest runs fine in Legacy mode), and why you must set Launch Video OpROM Policy, to Legacy Only, which should work if you are using the integrated graphics, I cannot offer any help, since I don't understand your situation.

Having to Disable CSM on every mother board I use, and maintain it that way so I'm not running BIOS firmware from the 1990's, with only 1MB of my DRAM addressable, among many other extreme BIOS limitations is bad enough, but your idea about the video option ROMs is unnecessary, and a workaround not needed for anything.

Unless you are trying to UEFI boot a USB flash drive with the memory test program on it. If so, did you try setting CSM to Disabled, and see what happens?

Edited by parsec - 11 Nov 2016 at 10:38am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matrix2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 3:32pm
I am trying to launch memtest from a flash drive (I eventually was able to do so with a newer version of memtest usb bootable image).
Again what I am trying to do is irrelevant to this discussion.

My gripe is with the fact that after CSM module is enabled, it is impossible to launch bios at all and one has to completely reset bios settings by using the clear cmos jumper.
This is the part I consider a bug.
There should be a way to edit other  bios settings even with CSM module enabled and policy set to launch video oprom in legacy only.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matrix2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 3:47pm
Wanted to add that indeed if I set video oprom launch policy to uefi the problem is fixed (in the meaning that bios load successfully), but then it is impossible to load any OS which doesn't support UEFI (such as hirens bootcd).

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 3:57pm
matrix, if you have a Fast Boot option in the BIOS set it to Disabled and reply back what happen(s)(ed) please.

From my MB's manual:
[Disabled] - Disable Fast Boot.

[Fast] - The only restriction is you may not boot by using an USB flash drive.

[Ultra Fast] - There are a few restrictions.
1. Only supports Windows簧 8 UEFI operating system.
2. You will not be able to enter BIOS Setup (Clear CMOS or run utility in Widows簧 to enter BIOS Setup).
3. If you are using an external graphics card, the VBIOS must support UEFI GOP in order to boot.

Nothing here. Move on!

16,441 - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13030306

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matrix2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 6:37pm
Actually it is on disabled and that didn't help :(
That is, this doesn't affect my ability to access bios settings after having set csm to enabled and video oprom launch policy to legacy only.
Again my issue is not with the inability to boot hirens (even though it is somewhat inconvenient).
My issue is with the inability to access bios settings when using a setting from the bios itself.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 11:31pm
It's time you spoke with the Techies at ASRock.

http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
Nothing here. Move on!

16,441 - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13030306
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic