ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

z170m oc formula

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z170m oc formula
    Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 7:50pm
Hi, does anyone know if the z170m OC Formula is going to get a bios upgrade to support the new Intel Kaby Lake cpu's.

It looks like a lot of motherboards including H series, B series and the lower down Z series have already gotten bios upgrades. Its just weird that ASock's top of the line and most expensive motherboards dont.

Thanks

J Z View Drop Down
ASRock_Partner
ASRock_Partner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 8:14pm
Coming soon...
Kind Regards,
JZ

https://shop.JZelectronic.de - Der Shop mit ausgesuchter ASRock Profi Hardware

https://www.facebook.com/asrock.de
bytes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 8:51pm
I hope they are.

I find the bios of the z170m oc formula to be worse than my old asus z68 maximus iv gene-z. Failing to get in to the bios screen and when i do manage to get in then it will freeze randomly. Other times it works just fine Confused

Any update to the bios would be great at this point.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 5:53am
When they do come out with a new BIOS that supports Kaby Lake DO NOT update to it unless you have a Kaby Lake processor. At least for the moment anyways.

But don't flash a near released BIOS that says it is for future processors as that one will be for Kaby Lake support and what we're seeing here in the forum is your Skylake processor will not much like the upcoming initial Kaby support BIOS release.

Random freezes in the BIOS is a signal your system isn't stable.

List out the parts and how old the psu is please. And the OC this is happening with.

X370 SLI/ac(r1.03, BIOS 5.10), 1500X, H115i, F4-4133C19D-16GTZA, 970 EVO M.2 250GB + 500GB, Tt Core X9 Black

16,441 - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13030306
bytes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 3:53am
Well thats just awesome Wacko

Il probably get a kaby lake cpu as soon as they are launched if theres a bios that supports it.

Iv tried underclocking my ram, underclocking my gpu, giving more volts to the cpu and ram, unplugging every usb device and disabling as many things as i can in the bios. Nothing seems to make a difference to the bios. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

Iv seen other people posting the same problem that once you are in the bios you have to get what you need done quickly as eventually it will just freeze.

It sucks but once im into windows all benchmarks, games, videos etc work fine with no errors or crashing. Its just the bios screen thats ****. One thing i did notice using HWinfo was that all my temperatures are under 35c at idle except for the PCH temperature which is usually around 60c. Thats not good but i searched and found others are reporting around the same temperatures and say its fine.

Hopefully ASrock will make a better bios soon as so far iv been unipressed.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 4:29am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Random freezes in the BIOS is a signal your system isn't stable.

List out the parts and how old the psu is please. And the OC this is happening with.

What? Are your system specs confidential?

If you want help, these things we need to know prior.

60c at idle is not good yet if that's reported from within the BIOS while you're in there mucking around it might not be a concern. While a User is in the BIOS the processor is getting near 70-100% loading. Why I do not rightly now, yet that's that.

Check while you're in Windows using HWiNFO(64?) or the likes. That's when you're going to realize the TRUE idle chipset/PCH/south bridge temp. Google whatever program you'd be using to be positive you're looking at the PCH and not some other temp. Most monitoring progs don't come right out and stipulate "This is your PCH temperature".
X370 SLI/ac(r1.03, BIOS 5.10), 1500X, H115i, F4-4133C19D-16GTZA, 970 EVO M.2 250GB + 500GB, Tt Core X9 Black

bytes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 5:38am
LOL they are top secret. I wasnt looking for help on the bios issue as im hopefull asrock will fix it.

But anyway heres my specs:

MOTHERBOARD - ASrock Z170M OC Formula
CPU - Intel i3-6100
RAM - gskill 2x4gb 3733MHz ddr4
M.2 DRIVE - samsung pm961 256gb
M.2 ADAPTER - silverstone ecm20
M.2 SATA DRIVE - SanDisk X400 512 GB M.2 SATA
M.2 DRIVE - samsung pm961 256gb

Thats all the new stuff and this is the older stuff being used from the previous build:

PSU - Coolermaster SilentPro 500w
WIFI CARD - asus pce-ac88
GPU - Radeon Fury Nano

As you can see the CPU is a bit limited but it was only bought to tide me over till kaby lake. Thats why my original question was if this board was getting a bios update as hopefully il get an i7-7700k or an i5-7600k depending on price. 60c is the temp in windows using HWinfo64.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 5:53am
I don't doubt for an instant that your board will get Kaby support Thumbs Up

What Wardog is referring to is BIOS updates for unreleased CPUs, they are notoriously buggy, not because of the motherboard manufacturer but because intel has yet to refine the microcodes and other intel specific code for the new lineup Wink You can't implement fixes that don't exist yet Tongue
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 6:18am
Originally posted by bytes bytes wrote:

LOL they are top secret. I wasnt looking for help on the bios issue as im hopefull asrock will fix it.

Thats all the new stuff and this is the older stuff being used from the previous build:

PSU - Coolermaster SilentPro 500w

Freezing in the BIOS, a new BIOS can't help. As I said earlier, in the BIOS the CPU is subject to heavy loading. It is this heavy loading not unlike Prime95 or other stressing program will show "faults' with the system. Yours is in that it's freezing, which is not supposed to happen unless other hardware is causing it. BIOSes don't freeze on a stable system.

Your PSU. How old is it? I see reviews dating back to 2009. This isn't saying yours is this old but as they age they begin to slowly give up the ghost. Slowly, yet steadily.

Monitor your voltages, all three. It's my guess, from this distance Smile, that under load one of them is drooping and causing your freezes.

bytes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 6:45am
It just seems like they are updating every board they have except mine. Thats them just updated some more B and H boards today. ******* Even though they are notorously buugy id most likely still give a new bios a go at this point.

My cpu passes prime95 and superpi tests. 3dmark and heaven benchmarks pass just fine. AIDA64 cache and memory benchmark looks good. CrystalDisk and ASSSD all look good. MakeMKV and handbrake all work fine. Games all run fine.

PSU is quite old but i cant remember when i got it, probably 2009 or 2010. It worked just fine with my old system which was an overvolted i5-2500k and overvolted 8gb ddr3 with 3 480gb ssd's. This system should be using less wattage so while it could be the psu im kinda doubting it.

Il run all the tests again and see what happens. It just seems strange that everything works except for the bios screen.

Edited by bytes - 15 Nov 2016 at 6:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic