ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone got a Cool Master fan with 970M Pro3?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munrobasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone got a Cool Master fan with 970M Pro3?
    Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 6:49pm
Just bought a 970M Pro3 motherboard and AMD FX 6350 which came with the stock cooler. All I can say is "don't bother" - the stock cooler is useless and sounds like a jet engine even at idle! Not good at all.

So annoyingly (because I bought the AMD to save a bit of money), I'm having to consider a better cooling fan. Not particularly interested in overclocking so the Cool Master Hyper 212 EVO looks like a good choice for 瞿30 in the UK.

However, I'm using Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM (all four slots) which has pretty high fins:

Picture of RAM

So I'm worried that the fan will foul the RAM.

Has anyone got this model of fan fitted to an 970 Pro3 motherboard? That would put my mind at rest. I've found a video on YouTube about this fan on a different motherboard and the fan overlaps the first RAM chip slightly but his RAM chips aren't as tall. However, looking at the video closely, his RAM chips appears slightly nearer to the CPU than on the 970M Pro3.

Cheers, Rob.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 10:15pm
Hey Rob, Welcome to the forums here.

I can't speak directly to your question but maybe the below pic  w/dimensions will be of some help.

Nothing here. Move on!

16,441 - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13030306
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 10:35pm
Given wardog's picture, you've got 37mm clearance from the top of the CPU to the bottom of the fan. That's about 1.5 inches.

If that is not enough clearance, the fan can be moved up slightly with its mounting bracket. Or you can put the fan on the other side of the cooler in pull mode, since two fans can be mounted on a Hyper 212 EVO.

Either adjustment won't affect the cooling ability at all.
munrobasher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munrobasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 12:42am
Much thanks to both of you - wardogs diagram is most useful. There is a picture of the stock cooler in my motherboard below. I've just measured the stock cooler and it's 90mm wide with ~5mm clearance to the RAM. So that's 45mm from the centre to the RAM chips.

From Wardogs diagram, the distance from the centre is (51/2) + 26 = 51.5mm so it's going to be over the top of the RAM. I'll have to power down (again ;-)) and measure the height of the RAM.

But thanks for the tip about moving the fan up a little or mounting on the other side.

I also notice people mounting it both ways on the motherboard - guess it can do either.

Later on RAM height...

Cheers, Rob.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munrobasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 12:42am
PS. the stock cooler fan is only 70mm - no wonder it's struggling!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munrobasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 12:53am
Later - those Corsair Vengeance RAM chips are big boys! 53mm high in the centre. So I suspect mounting the fan on the other side is the only choice. At least there is choice with this cooler.

Thanks for your help. Cheers, Rob.
munrobasher2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munrobasher2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 6:53am
For some reason, I couldn't logon with my original new account so here I am with a new one.

The Cooler Master arrived yesterday and I spent a while installing it today. That's a new experience notched up! Wasn't too difficult if you followed the instructions carefully.

Boy is it a BIG cooler - it only just fits in my full-size case. As expected, it did foul the RAM slots so I fitted the fan on the other side.

It's working well - target speed reduced to it's lowest of one and the fan is barely running - 917RPM - with a CPU temperature of around 42C; less when the system really is idle. Got three VMs running right now. I guess that huge heat sink is the reason the fan can run so slow.

Thanks for all your help.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 6:57am
Originally posted by munrobasher2 munrobasher2 wrote:

For some reason, I couldn't logon with my original new account so here I am with a new one.

The Cooler Master arrived yesterday and I spent a while installing it today. That's a new experience notched up! Wasn't too difficult if you followed the instructions carefully.

Boy is it a BIG cooler - it only just fits in my full-size case. As expected, it did foul the RAM slots so I fitted the fan on the other side.

It's working well - target speed reduced to it's lowest of one and the fan is barely running - 917RPM - with a CPU temperature of around 42C; less when the system really is idle. Got three VMs running right now. I guess that huge heat sink is the reason the fan can run so slow.

Thanks for all your help.

Great to hear and good deal with the VMs.
Nothing here. Move on!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 6:59am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Great to hear and good deal with the VMs.

I should have added that's what the 9590 in my Sig does, Web Server VMs.
Nothing here. Move on!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 7:04am
Originally posted by munrobasher munrobasher wrote:

PS. the stock cooler fan is only 70mm - no wonder it's struggling!

I don't have experience yet with AMDs new Wraith cooler(c'mon Zen!) yet every Review(er) I've read so far praise it's cooling abilities.

Finally! They turn at least one eye inward and give us a GOOD stock cooler.
Nothing here. Move on!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic