ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SOLVED-Fatal1ty Z87 Killer wont use all PCIE lanes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SOLVED-Fatal1ty Z87 Killer wont use all PCIE lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega552003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOLVED-Fatal1ty Z87 Killer wont use all PCIE lanes
    Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 10:49pm
UPDATE: CPU had damage that I was unaware about that was done by previous owner trying to delid the CPU. In the process of deliding, he damaged the PCB which caused the CPU to lose some of its PCIE lanes, 4~7 as at least 9 were usable 8 on the primary GPU and 1 on the secondary. This was validated by accident when I went to swap in an i3-4330TE and the i7-4770K's IHS fell right off. http://i.imgur.com/hPxKklV.jpg

Setup:
Motherboard: Asrock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
GPU: 2 x AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
No Overclocking

So I have noticed that one Fury X was stuck at PCIE 3.0 8x and would never go to x16 when it's by it's self. I got a second Fury X and wanted to crossfire them. Readeon settings cant because the the second card, no matter what slot it is in, is 1x and XDMA needs more lanes to activate crossfire. I did try updating the chipset drivers and noticed that sometimeswhen the PCIE drivers are updated/changed/removed that the lanes goto 4x until restart. I've also checked the UEFI settings and there isn't any settings for PCIE lanes. 

I'd appreciate any help.

Edited by omega552003 - 03 Dec 2016 at 6:48am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 11:43pm
You are running windows 10, was this an upgrade install or a fresh one? Your issue looks very much like a driver conflict. 

I would download and run DDU (display driver uninstaller) from safe mode and clean out your current display drivers then reboot and install the latest. You can also try clearing CMOS, it is usually a good idea to do that when making major hardware changes (GPU, CPU and RAM).
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 12:10am
Xaltar, not being that knowledgeable with all things Intel, his i7-4770K has 16 PCIe lanes.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75123/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

That why?
omega552003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega552003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 12:15am
I do think it could be a driver problem, but its the Intel Chipset drivers for the Z87, not display drivers. The only info on reinstalling the chipset drivers I've found was that only a reinstall of windows would do this. Though I did try installing an older version and it does ask if I wanted to downgrade, but Windows still perfers the newer drivers (Good job Windows 10).
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 12:34am
Originally posted by omega552003 omega552003 wrote:

I do think it could be a driver problem, but its the Intel Chipset drivers for the Z87, not display drivers. The only info on reinstalling the chipset drivers I've found was that only a reinstall of windows would do this. Though I did try installing an older version and it does ask if I wanted to downgrade, but Windows still perfers the newer drivers (Good job Windows 10).

Stop Windows 10 from Windows Update d/l'ing and installing driver updates

Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings > Hardware tab > Device Installation Settings > "Do you want to automatically download manufacturers apps and custom icons available for your devices?" > Select No, then select Save Changes

Edited by wardog - 01 Dec 2016 at 12:37am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 1:24am
Chipset "drivers" are not related to this at all. They are INF files, not drivers, that simply identify the hardware on an Intel mother board.

Windows 10 upgrade, always questionable. Yes, you don't know what the upgrade installed until you check. Would I trust this type of installation? NO CHANCE! When Win 10 automatic updates are applied, you better check what happened, since it might include a new video driver, and possibly resets any configurations.

SOO many other things causing this, and many things to consider. Advice given above is valid and really quite basic. So is the following:

Yes, 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes in this platform. PCIe 3.0 lane allocation per x16 slot:

3 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE2/PCIE5/PCIE7: single at x16 (PCIE2); dual at x8 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE5); triple at x8 (PCIE2) / x4 (PCIE5) / x4 (PCIE7))

All of those three x16 physical lanes are not x16 electrically. From top to bottom, the three slots listed above are connected electrically as x16 x8 x4. The 16 lane PCIe 3.0 limit is then applied to each slot, depending upon the number of video cards in use. Which slots are you using?

Are you using any other cards in the PCIe x16 slots? With ONLY two cards in the PCIe x16 slots, the best you'll get is x8 x8. With PCIe 3.0, the difference between an x8 and x16 connection is 1% at best. If you have any other cards in the PCIe x16 slots, you'll have fewer PCIe 3.0 lanes for the video cards.

Windows Power Plan, Advanced settings. PCI Express, Link State Power Management. Must be set to Off if you want your video card(s) to not reduce their PCIe link speed at idle. Updating drivers can also change this. Clearing the UEFI/BIOS is needed to start over again.

In the UEFI/BIOS, Chipset Configuration screen, set the PCIe slots you are using to Gen3.

Are you following the instructions in your board's manual for connecting and activating Crossfire? Both for installation, and activating Crossfire with the AMD Catalyst Control Center software. No mention of this in your post.

Have you cleared the UEFI/BIOS since installing both video cards? If not, you MUST do so. While I listed this last, this is the FIRST thing you should do after installing any video card(s).

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 2:36am
Deleted my previous post, Parsec has clarified things more accurately than I did Thumbs Up

I will however repeat that the display drivers can and do effect PCIe speed (version) and lane usage. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega552003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:43am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Chipset "drivers" are not related to this at all. They are INF files, not drivers, that simply identify the hardware on an Intel mother board.
Ok that makes sense, always wondered what the INF ment.

Windows 10 upgrade, always questionable. Yes, you don't know what the upgrade installed until you check. Would I trust this type of installation? NO CHANCE! When Win 10 automatic updates are applied, you better check what happened, since it might include a new video driver, and possibly resets any configurations.
Is a full install of windows, I also keep the drivers up to date as AMD has a setting to notify you if there is a new driver.

Which slots are you using? ... Are you using any other cards in the PCIe x16 slots?
I'm using slot 2 and 5, nothing else, just the 2 GPUs.

Windows Power Plan, Advanced settings. PCI Express, Link State Power Management. Must be set to Off if you want your video card(s) to not reduce their PCIe link speed at idle.
Yup first thing i checked.

In the UEFI/BIOS, Chipset Configuration screen, set the PCIe slots you are using to Gen3.
Did that also

Are you following the instructions in your board's manual for connecting and activating Crossfire? Both for installation, and activating Crossfire with the AMD Catalyst Control Center software. No mention of this in your post.
Yes I have and the crossfire button/drop down menu is not showing. The drivers, HWInfo and GPUz show that slot 2 is at gen 3 8x and slot 5 is gen 3 1x. I am using the latest drivers "Radeon Software Version
16.11.5"

Have you cleared the UEFI/BIOS since installing both video cards? If not, you MUST do so. While I listed this last, this is the FIRST thing you should do after installing any video card(s).

I've never known about this, typically I just plug and play like I would on older BIOS motherboards. I tried a "Load UEFI optimal settings." but that didn't work, i guess its time to pull a jumper.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega552003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:32am
Ok did some more things. 
1. Cleared the CMOS by jumper
Didn't work
2. Manually went through my device manager and removed anything with an Intel Driver, deleted the driver and verified when it showed a generic Microsoft driver.
Didn't work
3. Fully uninstalled the AMD drivers and installed the latest stable "Radeon Software Version
16.9.2"
Didn't work

The only thing that I can do that left is a full reinstall of Windows.

I must have the worst of luck with Asrock boards. This one with this weird PCIE lane issues and AD2550B-ITX that stopped working. Im by no means bad with computers as I resurect intel server boards for fun and still have my socket 7/370/771/1366 boards.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega552003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 12:37pm
I'm giving up on this board. I Did a reinstall of windows, then installed the drivers and no crossfire setting available and the PCIE lanes where 8x for slot 2 and 1x for slot 5.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic