ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z270M Pro4 Fast boot problem and no temp readings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270M Pro4 Fast boot problem and no temp readings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CrashNB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z270M Pro4 Fast boot problem and no temp readings
    Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 5:02am
Hello, I just want to share my observation on ASRock Z270M Pro4. My English is not perfect so please forgive me Embarrassed

My config:
  • CPU: i5-7500
  • GPU: Palit GTX1060 Dual 3GB
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2x8 GB (HX430C15PB3K2/16)
  • PSU: Corsair RM550X
  • Samsung SM961 256 GB
  • HDD: HGST Travelstar 5K1000 (HTS541010A9E680)
  • Win10 x64 - UEFI Install
I've been fighting this all day and I hope this helps someone Smile

This is my new build and I had some problems with it from the start. First of all I could't get XMP profile (3000 MHz) to work so I finally set everything manually (3066 MHz) and read timings from the SPD and that worked although my RAMs are on the QVL so I thought it would be easier. That was the easiest part Smile

Second of all I wasn't able to read fan RPMs and MoBo temperatures and voltages with my favorite HWMonitor (latest version) and there is still no A-tuning from ASRock so I tried HWInfo and got the same result. This is connected to my third biggest issue: after setting Ultra Fast boot in UEFI my computer freezes just before the login screen. Today I have found the solution to my problems. All day I've been juggling RAM sticks, SSDs and other PC components trying to find out what is wrong? And to cut to the chase the problem was in one small UEFI setting: Parallel Port under Super IO configuration. I disabled it as I thought I won't need it but to my suprise this setting is somehow responsible for the sensor readings and Fast boot problems.

Below is a screenshot of CPU-Z mainboard tab and as you can see the LPCIO is Nuvoton NCT6683. When parallel port setting was disabled this field (LPCIO) was grayed out and no info on the chip.

Another screenshot (HWinfo) there are all the readings I need:

And my question is: is this normal behavior for this setting (Parallel port)? Is it a bug or is it a feature? Can someone replicate this setting and post the answer?
This is so strange because I always disable both parallel and serial ports to speed up booting and because I don't use them and I have never had such problems.

Edited by CrashNB - 19 Feb 2017 at 7:13am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:27am
Thanks for posting this, very interesting and surprising. I mean the sensor readings and the parallel port.

I don't think it is normal for the sensor readings to not work with that port disabled. I normally do that on all my ASRock boards, disable that port, and I still get all my sensor readings. I will check to make sure that is true with my ASRock Z270 board and post back in this thread.

About the Ultra Fast Boot setting of the Fast Boot option. We can use the Ultra Fast boot setting ONLY if several things are ALL TRUE about our PC and Windows installation:

You must be using Windows 8, 8.1, or 10.

You must have installed Windows for UEFI booting. That means you installed Windows with the CSM option set to Disabled. You must keep the CSM option disabled at all times. Your Windows drive will be formatted in GPT format, not MBR. The Windows installation will use the EFI boot loader, not the Legacy boot loader.

The Windows installation media shown in the boot order must have this format: "UEFI: <device name>". If you did not select that entry in the boot order, you will not have a UEFI booting Windows installation.

Your video source (graphics card or iGPU) must the GOP compatible. GOP is a UEFI video protocol that MUST be supported by the VBIOS of your video card. All EVGA video cards since the Nvidia 700 series are GOP compatible when you buy them. For other video card manufactures, I don't know, you must check with the manufacture. The Intel iGPU has had a GOP compatible VBIOS for many years.

Some of this information was shown in the description field in the BIOS for the Fast Boot option.

If your PC does not meet ALL of these requirements, you cannot use the Ultra Fast Boot setting. It will do exactly what you described, no video to the screen.

But you are also telling me, that setting that port to enabled, you can use the Ultra Fast boot option?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:05am
Just to check and be absolutely clear, you are talking about the Parallel Port setting in the Super IO Configuration screen, correct?

This port is also called the Print Port Header, item number 23 in this picture from your board's manual:

You said when the Parallel Port option is set to Disabled, you won't get any sensor readings in HWiNFO or other programs, and CPU-Z will not show you any information about your CPU, correct?

My Z270 mother board does not have a parallel port header on the board, and of course does not have and option to enable or disable it. So I cannot test this myself with my board.

I cannot believe it is normal for the sensor and other data to be blocked or unavailable when the Parallel Port/Print Port Header option is set to Disabled.

I think you may have found a bug or problem in your board's UEFI/BIOS. I will report this to ASRock, and we will see what they say about it. I will post in this thread whatever I learn about this.

Again, thanks for posting this information. That is all I can tell you about this now.

CrashNB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrashNB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Thanks for posting this, very interesting and surprising. I mean the sensor readings and the parallel port.

About the Ultra Fast Boot setting of the Fast Boot option. We can use the Ultra Fast boot setting ONLY if several things are ALL TRUE about our PC and Windows installation:

You must be using Windows 8, 8.1, or 10.

You must have installed Windows for UEFI booting. That means you installed Windows with the CSM option set to Disabled. You must keep the CSM option disabled at all times. Your Windows drive will be formatted in GPT format, not MBR. The Windows installation will use the EFI boot loader, not the Legacy boot loader.

The Windows installation media shown in the boot order must have this format: "UEFI: <device name>". If you did not select that entry in the boot order, you will not have a UEFI booting Windows installation.

Your video source (graphics card or iGPU) must the GOP compatible. GOP is a UEFI video protocol that MUST be supported by the VBIOS of your video card. All EVGA video cards since the Nvidia 700 series are GOP compatible when you buy them. For other video card manufactures, I don't know, you must check with the manufacture. The Intel iGPU has had a GOP compatible VBIOS for many years.
I've been using UEFI boot since Windows 8 and I'm sure I've done all the steps you mentioned. I even contacted Palit support to ask if my GPU is UEFI GOP compatible and they replied it is and even sent me the newest BIOS for my GPU. Actually I've been using this grapics card in my old computer with fast boot enabled with no problems so I was pretty sure it was OK, but just wanted to be 100% positive.
As I posted before I was playing all day yesterday with different settings, removing RAM sticks, trying to boot with only one stick and finally I ran Memtest86 for four hours without any errors so my conclusion was that RAM is OK. I detached all drives and GPU, connected my old SSD with Win10 installed in GPT to exclude faulty NVME drive (Samsung SM961) and everything went fine.

Quote But you are also telling me, that setting that port to enabled, you can use the Ultra Fast boot option?
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying :) When I was playing around with different configurations I always cleared CMOS before changing anything. My mistake was that the first thing I did in UEFI was disabling Serial Port and Parallel Port under Super IO Configuration. That is what I always do because I don't use them and I couldn't even imagine this setting could do such mess. After many hours of failures I decided to reboot every time I change one setting. I changed fans to silent, OC RAM, set CSM all to UEFI only and turn Ultra Fast boot on - all went perfect. Than I started to change other settings like Super IO configuration and that was it! When Parallel Port was disabled I couldn't boot, just saw ASRock logo and those small dots when windows is loading, after two seconds those dots stopped and I could only reset my computer.
Quote Just to check and be absolutely clear, you are talking about the Parallel Port setting in the Super IO Configuration screen, correct?
Yes that is correct: the setting I am talking about is in the Super IO Configuration screen. I don't use any printer so I disabled it. Take a look at the screenshot below:

Quote You said when the Parallel Port option is set to Disabled, you won't get any sensor readings in HWiNFO or other programs, and CPU-Z will not show you any information about your CPU, correct?
When that setting is disabled all programs show CPU info (CPU name etc.), CPU temperature but nothing else (no fan RPM, no voltages, no motherboard temperature). CPU-Z shows info about my CPU but no information about LPCIO [Nuvoton] [NCT6683] <- those fields are empty and LPCIO is grayed out when Parallel port is disabled. I hope this clarify what I was saying.

Edit:
I have one more problem I forgot to mention, not very important but still. When in UEFI I cannot connect to the Internet. I want to check for UEFI updates but I get the message to check my internet settings or something like that, but there are no such settings at least not many of them. Is it another UEFI bug?

Edited by CrashNB - 19 Feb 2017 at 7:58pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 11:05am
Sorry to ask for all of the clarifications, it surprised me that the Ultra Fast boot setting was affected by disabling the parallel port. You explained things well the first time.

Since you're using a Samsung SM961 as the OS drive, you know how to configure UEFI booting obviously. Sorry we get so many people that don't. Simple really, but still like a black art for many people.

Side note, you may have noticed that Ultra Fast Boot is really Ultra Fast POST. The Ultra Fast setting plus CSM disabled or CSM sub options set to UEFI Only actually allows the UEFI firmware to run as it should, without being stuck with CSM emulated legacy BIOS mode. But you must have a GOP capable VBIOS in the video source (as you know) which has been the main problem in the past. Intel's iGPU has had that since Sandy Bridge processors, as long as the mother board manufacture includes it, as ASRock does. Any Nvidia video card before the 600 series cannot be GOP compatible, I don't know about AMD/ATI.

Anyway, I have my N3150M system running, which has a parallel/LPT1 port. Enabled or disabled, I get all the sensor data in HWiNFO, even memory timings, C State information, drive information, more voltages than I can identify, fan speeds, you name it. Configured for UEFI booting (CSM disabled) with SATA III SSD as the OS drive.

That board has the same parallel port options that yours has. Otherwise they are quite different, and I can't tell you what is wrong. Leave it enabled for now is the best we can tell you. It seems it is not using the UEFI firmware capabilities with a parallel port that is the cause, given the way my board behaves.

CrashNB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrashNB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 8:06pm
I know you had to ask so I don't mind :)  Sometimes the most obvious things could be overlooked. It is so strange to me too that this particular setting caused problems. Maybe it is the combination of this UEFI, Z270 chipset, my CPU and RAM because those are the only things in common during my tests. I could downgrade UEFI to previous version but to be honest I really don't want to, I'm to lazy ;)

Actually when enabling Ultra Fast Boot (POST) I hoped for more, it's only about 2 seconds faster than without it.

I have already contacted ASRock support on this matter and still waiting for their reply. I'll update this thread as soon as I get some answers.

Thank you parsec for your time, much obliged!
CrashNB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrashNB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:10pm
ASRock support replied my email, they tried my settings (Parallel port disabled) and all went fine with their computer :/ So I have no more ideas how to solve this. I must wait for UEFI update and when Windows creators update is released I just do a clean Windows 10 install and see what will happen.
RUSTA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUSTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 2:34pm
I can confirm this also occurs on a B250M pro 4 on version 2.10 bios. I think these motherboards share similar bios files. I am going to update to the beta bios to see if it resolves the issue.
RUSTA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUSTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 2:50pm
Beta bios didn't resolve bug. still need parallel port enabled to boot into windows 10
CrashNB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrashNB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 4:51pm
It must be some error in UEFI combined with specific hardware that makes it impossible to boot. I already sold my MoBo and sitting now on Ryzen motherboard so I cannot check if new UEFI changed anything :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic