ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - After BIOS Flash X99 Extreme6a/c boot options gone
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

After BIOS Flash X99 Extreme6a/c boot options gone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After BIOS Flash X99 Extreme6a/c boot options gone
    Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 12:27am
Hi all,

I reflashed the BIOS on my X99 Extreme6a/c board to P1.90, the firmware version is 9.1.2.101. Two questions

I noticed after the OS resinstall (had other issues) there are no longer any options to boot from USB or CD/DVD. How do I re-enable those options? UEFI SB are enabled and CRM is disabled (this was the same configuration I had before).

Intel RAID Controller settings now appear in BIOS vs the CRTL-I option it used to have, assuming that's by design and there's no longer a way to get in via CRTL-I.

thanks!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 8:43am
Originally posted by atoro atoro wrote:

Hi all,

I reflashed the BIOS on my X99 Extreme6a/c board to P1.90, the firmware version is 9.1.2.101. Two questions

I noticed after the OS resinstall (had other issues) there are no longer any options to boot from USB or CD/DVD. How do I re-enable those options? UEFI SB are enabled and CRM is disabled (this was the same configuration I had before).

Intel RAID Controller settings now appear in BIOS vs the CRTL-I option it used to have, assuming that's by design and there's no longer a way to get in via CRTL-I.

thanks!

You must have been using a much older UEFI/BIOS version, if you are just now seeing things as you described with the 1.90 UEFI version. I'm surprised you said you had CSM (Compatibility Support Module) disabled with the other UEFI version, and you are just now seeing the differences.

What is "UEFI SB"?

When CSM is disabled, devices that don't support UEFI may not appear in the boot order. That depends upon the device itself, if it only supports Legacy booting.

What did you use to install Windows, and what version of Windows? As in installation device? Was CSM disabled during the Windows installation? Did you specifically select an entry in the boot order for the Windows installation media? Any other drives connected to the board besides the target OS drive when you installed Windows?

What other issues did you have during or after the OS installation?

What is the second option after the OS drive in the boot order, Disabled? If it is you need to get rid of the Disabled entry.

In the Tools screen, is Boot Manager disabled? It is normally enabled by default. If it is disabled, enable it, save and exit, and go back in and see what else is shown as a boot option.

OTOH, I can have Boot Manager disabled, and for example a Windows 10 installation ISO on a USB flash drive shows up fine in the boot order on my X99 Extreme6/3.1 board. I usually have so many non-bootable devices appear in the boot order, I set the second boot option to Disabled so I don't need to deal with them.

What other storage devices do you have connected to the board? Really no reason they should not appear in the boot order, unless you did something odd with the Windows (version??) installation.

The IRST utility entry in the Advanced screen is the UEFI replacement for the Legacy CTRL-i IRST utility, when you have CSM disabled. That's been like that for a while now, you must have had a UEFI/BIOS version with an old IRST Option ROM in it. It was updated along the way, and included in UEFI 1.90. This utility is much preferred to the legacy BIOS CTRL-i IRST utility.

The IME firmware version (that you listed) does not make any difference with what appears in the boot order.
atoro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:42am
Thanks for the reply appreciate it

1) Yes probably 3-4 year old BIOS believe old one was P1.04
2) SB = Secure Boot I have that enabled
3) CSM is disabled as it is on my other slightly newer system with the same board but with BIOS 1.7. The CSM options after I enable it are for PXE, Storage and Video option ROMS with selections of "Do not Launch", "UEFI", Legacy Only"
4) I don't recall what CSM was set to when I installed Windows but I booted from a Windows 10 ISO, so if you are saying CSM is what made it recognize the DVD, then I will try enabling it again. I unplugged the RAID array disks before I installed Windows 10 in fear of losing data. I upgraded all the way through Windows 10 1703. It could be after I had things installed I disabled CRM. Can you confirm CRM should be on? Again I don't have this on in my P1.7 BIOS machine with the same mother board
5) There is no second option in boot order which is the weird part. Boot option #1 states Windows Boot Manager, FAST Boot Disabled. Boot Manager Enabled. The only option to select in 1st Boot device is Windows Boot Manager. Wouldn't it state UEFI:SSD disk name. As I'm writing this it may be since I booted from DVD it wasn't a UEFI device so it no longer provides UEFI boot options?
6) What is strange that in the Boot Menu after Boot Opton #1 there are no other devices that show up, other disks, USB, or CD/DVD. The only odd thing I did was unplug my RAID array prior to installation since the OS is installed on the SSD drive.
7) regarding ISRT thanks for confirming

Any additional thoughts? Not sure what I can/should do at this point

thanks in advance
7)
atoro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 11:17pm
OK to net this out the operation of the new BIOS makes some optimizations I wasn't expecting

As soon as I plug in bootable (UEFI) USB drives or a bootable CD room upon the F11 key it brings up the boot menu as suspected.  I was comparing the behavior of previous BIOS and when this information was simply missing in the BIOS I got worried, but it does appear I haven't lost any functionality.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 12:46am
Originally posted by atoro atoro wrote:

OK to net this out the operation of the new BIOS makes some optimizations I wasn't expecting

As soon as I plug in bootable (UEFI) USB drives or a bootable CD room upon the F11 key it brings up the boot menu as suspected.  I was comparing the behavior of previous BIOS and when this information was simply missing in the BIOS I got worried, but it does appear I haven't lost any functionality.

Forgot about Secure Boot. Enabling Secure Boot will also cause CSM to be disabled automatically, since Secure Boot requires UEFI booting. SB is not required for UEFI booting, but UEFI booting is required for SB. So if you had SB enabled when you installed Windows, you were in UEFI booting mode. Many guides will say to enable SB for UEFI booting, for the reason I just described, but that is just a simplified process, and some older boards/UEFI may not have a CSM option, or it is not obvious how to disable CSM. Enabling SB is just easier to enable UEFI booting for those not aware of how it all works.

It seems the older UEFI/BIOS versions have older UEFI implementations than newer versions. X99 has a long lifetime, just now about to be replaced by Intel. My ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1 was a later model in ASRock's X99 line, so had the newer UEFI implementation from the beginning. Thus I never experienced the boot order issues that you did.

I'm glad it's working correctly for you now. It was smart to disconnect the RAID array during the Windows installation, but as long as you had set the SATA mode to RAID before the installation, nothing would be damaged. But it is always the best practice to only have the target OS drive as the only one powered on during the installation. Otherwise Windows puts the system/boot partition on another drive. Only a problem if that other drive is removed from the PC, or fails. This can be fixed with the Windows installation media.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic