ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CSM turns on automatically in UEFI after shutdown
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CSM turns on automatically in UEFI after shutdown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centralseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CSM turns on automatically in UEFI after shutdown
    Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 5:26am
Hello!

I have the same strange problem with my two Asrock Z270 boards.
One is the Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac in my HTPC and the other is a Z270M Pro 4

I don't need CSM so I have installed Win10 64bit in UEFI mode without CSM enabled on both machines.
But sometimes CSM is turned on in UEFI after shutdown automatically.
This happens sporadically when I use normal shutdown.
But it happens almost always if I turn the power off after shutdown.
Because of that Win10 in UEFI mode does not boot anymore with CSM enabled.
I have to go in UEFI setup and disable CSM
every time to make Windows boot again.
I changed the CSM settings from legacy to UEFI and UEFI first to find a workaround for this problem.
But nothing worked, only disable CSM makes Windows 10 boot again.
I flashed the latest UEFI from the page but no luck.
This is quite annoying
especially for my HTPC.

It seems to be some kind of UEFI bug, because both machines have the same bug with a completely different spec apart from the related boards.

Here is the spec.
HTPC:
I5-7500
Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac
2x 8GB DDR4
(on the QVL list)
CPU graphics
No PCIe cards
SATA SSD

PC:
I5-7600K
Z270M Pro 4
4x 8GB DDR4
(on the QVL list)
GTX 1060
2x NVME SSD

Windows 10 64bit in UEFI mode on both.

I hope to find a solution or get a fixed UEFI. I don't want to setup everything again on both machines with CSM enabled.

Regards

centralseven
kattepus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kattepus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 2:09am
I just registered to say i am now having the same problem on my Z77Extreme4. Most of the time it doesn`t want to boot in UEFI mode any longer. It automatically switches from ultra fast boot to fast boot or gives me a error message that my graphics card doesn`t support GOP. I have tried both onboard and a GT 1030. I can`t find any info on this problem
kattepus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kattepus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 12:34am
Ok, seems like ultra fast boot doesn`t work if i turn on the PC before the monitor. Maybe the graphics are awaiting a connection with the monitor and fails to respond to the BIOS which then thinks it doesn`t support ultra fast boot? The PC is connected to a receiver and then to a TV. If i enable HDMI passthrough on the receiver ultra fast boot works even if the receiver is off.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by kattepus kattepus wrote:

Ok, seems like ultra fast boot doesn`t work if i turn on the PC before the monitor. Maybe the graphics are awaiting a connection with the monitor and fails to respond to the BIOS which then thinks it doesn`t support ultra fast boot? The PC is connected to a receiver and then to a TV. If i enable HDMI passthrough on the receiver ultra fast boot works even if the receiver is off.

The Ultra Fast Boot option of Fast Boot is really a fast, UEFI based POST. POST is shorter, so the overall startup or "boot" time is reduced.

With the monitor off, the VBIOS of the video card cannot complete the UEFI POST procedures. GOP is the UEFI graphics protocol, and if the test for GOP fails, you know what the result is.

It makes sense that HDMI Passthrough set on the receiver when it is off allows POST to complete. Otherwise any activity of the receiver's HDMI circuitry is communicating with the board.
kattepus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kattepus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 12:17am
Hmm yes, but my Z97 extreme4 boots correctly with monitor off. But not my Z77 Extreme4 or threadstarters Z270 systems (if it`s the same problem he is experiencing.)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 9:47am
Originally posted by kattepus kattepus wrote:

Hmm yes, but my Z97 extreme4 boots correctly with monitor off. But not my Z77 Extreme4 or threadstarters Z270 systems (if it`s the same problem he is experiencing.)

Not to argue, but does each of these PCs use the the same video source? Each video card that is UEFI compatible has its own VBIOS, which may differ from model to model. Also, the Intel iGPU has a VBIOS that is part of the boards own UEFI/BIOS. We can find UEFI/BIOS updates for ASRock boards that include an update to the Intel VBIOS, the Z77 Extreme4 board certainly had them (I have two of those boards.) We can't see them anymore since only one non-Beta version is left for download.

My point is each video source's VBIOS may act differently in the situation being discussed here. One VBIOS may need the monitor on to complete POST, the other not. Do I know this for a fact? No I don't, but given the clues about this, it is certainly possible.

A question for anyone in the thread, although I know this will only apply to Intel 100 or 200 series chipset boards. Do any of you use the PCIe Remapping option in the Storage Configuration screen? Used only for NVMe SSDs in RAID arrays with Intel's IRST software. That requires the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option to be set to UEFI Only. Otherwise the NVMe SSD RAID array will not work.

I've been UEFI booting all of my PCs starting with my Z77 Extreme4 boards, one with an i7-2600K, the other with an i5-3570K. That is, with Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 installed with CSM set to Disabled. You can imagine I have at least one of every ASRock Intel chipset board since then, Z87, Z97, X99, Z170, and Z270 boards. All UEFI booting, CSM disabled.

Windows, when installed for UEFI booting, actually adds a legacy MBR system partition, for various reasons. That means it will still boot with CSM set to Enabled, with some exceptions. You should have four partitions on the OS drive, three others besides the main OS partition. That's the way all of my UEFI booting Windows installations are. They can boot with CSM set to Enabled, since Windows allows that to work. Unless your OS drive is a RAID array of NVMe SSDs, it should boot with CSM disabled, including the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option set to Legacy Only. If your PC does not boot with CSM disabled, and you are not using the PCIe Remapping option (Z170 and Z270 only) your OS installation does not seem to be fully configured by the Windows installer as it should be for UEFI booting. Or you don't have the Legacy booting entry in the boot order, only the UEFI booting boot entry, which is Windows Boot Manager. Some NVMe SSDs will Legacy boot (Samsung 950 Pro), but most if not all of the others won't. That does not apply to SATA SSDs.

I need to test this issue on my Z170 PC, which does not have a RAID array of NVMe SSDs. I'm using my Z270 PC currently, that does. But I need to get that PC working, which will take an hour or two.

The UEFI will automatically change the CSM setting, if it detects certain situations, such as being unable to UEFI boot, or selecting the Ultra Fast setting of Fast Boot with a Legacy booting Windows installation. Why that apparently does for some of you after simply turning off PSU is strange, none of my PCs do that. I work on them all the time, and I don't always clear the UEFI/BIOS, meaning I would reset the CSM option to Disabled when I restore a saved profile. That makes me wonder if something else is happening. Or the OS installation was not configured correctly. Very difficult to tell simply from posts in a forum.

I'm just trying to find out all the details here, since that is where we normally find the cause of an issue. I need to know what OS drive is being used, what UEFI/BIOS version is being used, mainly for older boards like the Z77 Extreme4, since they have added NVMe support and updated Intel VBIOS updates in later UEFI versions. Plus it is not quite the same to have CSM set to Disabled, or CSM set to Enabled and the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option set to UEFI Only. Some older video cards are not GOP compatible. The Intel iGPU has been GOP compatible since Sandy Bridge was released.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 11:53am
Finally have my Z170 Extreme7+ board PC working again, with Windows 10 on a Samsung 950 Pro. Haven't used it for months, and Win 10 update seems to have Creators Update ready to install after running this PC for a few hours. I let it update and it would no longer boot. Long story short, backed out of the update and have it working again.

So tried booting it with CSM enabled, and it did boot fine. Difficult to prove it since programs like HWiNFO that show UEFI booting, still showed UEFI booting with CSM enabled. MSInfo is no better in showing UEFI or Legacy booting.

One thing I've noticed is the difference in the resolution of the ASRock "splash" screen shown during POST, with CMS enabled or disabled. With CSM enabled, the ASRock logo is larger in size then it is with CSM enabled, and smaller when CSM is disabled. I assume that is due to UEFI booting, and the GOP protocol being active or not active. I also have a multi-monitor system, and the monitor where the POST screen is displayed changes from one monitor to another with CSM enabled or disabled. Same monitor resolution on both monitors, different inputs used. DVI used for Legacy, DisplayPort used for UEFI, from a video card. Anyone else get this behavior?

Did you ever check the boot order entry for the OS drive with CSM enabled and disabled? For UEFI booting, it will be Windows Boot Manager. For Legacy booting, CSM enabled, it is just the name of the drive, possibly with the SATA mode (AHCI, RAID) as a prefix on the entry. Mine did not change from Windows Boot Manager with CSM disabled or enabled, but I will get a secondary entry in the boot order that is just the drive name with CSM enabled.
kattepus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kattepus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 2:47am
Yes, UEFI boot loads graphics drivers before OS and enables higher resolution on boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic