ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Problems with x99 Extreme11 and Samsung 960 Evo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with x99 Extreme11 and Samsung 960 Evo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haloflooder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with x99 Extreme11 and Samsung 960 Evo
    Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 12:16pm
Been having some bad problems with the X99 Extreme11 Motherboard and the Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe M.2 size 2280). The SSD in the M.2 slot, I installed a fresh installation of Windows 10 and it would constantly crash with "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" or just say "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". Thought it might be an issue with the SSD and I exchanged it yesterday but still having the same issues.

So I got a M.2 to PCIe adapter today (that should be compatible with the SSD I have) and the motherboard will only sometimes recognize the PCIe adapter. So I decided to just use a regular SATA SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) to boot from and use the NVMe SSD as a secondary storage drive (back in the M.2 slot because the motherboard is iffy with the PCIe adapter). I installed windows 10 (for the 6th time) and everything is fine and dandy... Until I do anything with the 960 Evo. It would always give me "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" after I create a storage pool with it, format it, and even try to move files into it. Otherwise, the 

I did some of research about similar problems on the internet. Messing with the settings in the UEFI menu didn't really help with anything.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Xeon E5 (can't figure out the exact model since it's an engineering sample" (14 cores @ 2.4GHz)
Mobo: Asrock X99 Extreme11 (Firmware Version 9.1.37.1002) (Bios P3.20)
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
GPU: EVGA GTX 970
Ram: 16GB G.Skill (non-ecc 4x4)
Drives: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB (OS), Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, WD 3TB

Notes:
- I can see the NVMe SSD (in the M.2 Slot) in the UEFI under NVMe Configuration and not Storage Configuration (I know that's normal)
- The M.2 to PCIe adapter shows up half the time in UEFI System Browser (Never in windows though)
- Exchanged the SSD to see if that was the issue (it wasn't)
- The NVMe SSD (in the M.2 Slot) does show up in the Boot priority menu
- OS is very stable when it has nothing to do with the NVMe SSD.
- Booting from NVMe causes instant BSOD's
- I have installed Windows 10 six times by now
- I only messed with switch the SSD from M.2 Slot 2 to Slot 1 once. It's more stable in Slot 2 but I'll go try Slot 1 again.
- I know some SATA ports are blocked if I connect eSata1/2 or M.2 Slot 1/2. I moved all the sata cables to the "unpopulated" ones just in case I use eSata or install another M.2 SSD in the future.

Edited by haloflooder - 27 Jul 2017 at 12:46pm
dorken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dorken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 5:21pm
Sinse the happen on M2 Slot and with PCIe adapter it could be bad OC or a CPU Bug in the engineering sample.
I would try this:
1. PCIe 3.0 is sensitive to UC/OC, so check twice if PCIe is at Default 100MHz and CPU Strapping ist correct.
2. Next remove all OC, since ist could be a BIOS Bug which set wrong strapping.
3. If possible lower the PCIe Mode to 2.0 this mode is also much more reliabe with uncommon PCIe Clocks.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by haloflooder haloflooder wrote:

Been having some bad problems with the X99 Extreme11 Motherboard and the Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe M.2 size 2280). The SSD in the M.2 slot, I installed a fresh installation of Windows 10 and it would constantly crash with "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" or just say "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". Thought it might be an issue with the SSD and I exchanged it yesterday but still having the same issues.

So I got a M.2 to PCIe adapter today (that should be compatible with the SSD I have) and the motherboard will only sometimes recognize the PCIe adapter. So I decided to just use a regular SATA SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) to boot from and use the NVMe SSD as a secondary storage drive (back in the M.2 slot because the motherboard is iffy with the PCIe adapter). I installed windows 10 (for the 6th time) and everything is fine and dandy... Until I do anything with the 960 Evo. It would always give me "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" after I create a storage pool with it, format it, and even try to move files into it. Otherwise, the 

I did some of research about similar problems on the internet. Messing with the settings in the UEFI menu didn't really help with anything.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Xeon E5 (can't figure out the exact model since it's an engineering sample" (14 cores @ 2.4GHz)
Mobo: Asrock X99 Extreme11 (Firmware Version 9.1.37.1002) (Bios P3.20)
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
GPU: EVGA GTX 970
Ram: 16GB G.Skill (non-ecc 4x4)
Drives: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB (OS), Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, WD 3TB

Notes:
- I can see the NVMe SSD (in the M.2 Slot) in the UEFI under NVMe Configuration and not Storage Configuration (I know that's normal)
- The M.2 to PCIe adapter shows up half the time in UEFI System Browser (Never in windows though)
- Exchanged the SSD to see if that was the issue (it wasn't)
- The NVMe SSD (in the M.2 Slot) does show up in the Boot priority menu
- OS is very stable when it has nothing to do with the NVMe SSD.
- Booting from NVMe causes instant BSOD's
- I have installed Windows 10 six times by now
- I only messed with switch the SSD from M.2 Slot 2 to Slot 1 once. It's more stable in Slot 2 but I'll go try Slot 1 again.
- I know some SATA ports are blocked if I connect eSata1/2 or M.2 Slot 1/2. I moved all the sata cables to the "unpopulated" ones just in case I use eSata or install another M.2 SSD in the future.

You have NVMe support with the UEFI/BIOS version you have, which is required for using an NVMe SSD as the OS drive. A 960 EVO used as the OS drive requires a UEFI booting Windows installation.

That means that minimally, the entry in the boot order of the Windows 10 installation media, must be the entry that is, "UEFI: <device name>", where device name is the name of the installation media device. If you were using a Win 10 optical disk, that entry may not have been the first in the boot order, or did not exist, since not all optical drives support UEFI. A USB flash drive with a Win 10 ISO normally defaults to the UEFI: entry, but it's always good to verify that. Otherwise either disabling the CSM option or configuring the CSM sub-option, Launch Storage OpROM Policy as UEFI Only will guarantee a UEFI booting installation. The SSD will be GPT partitioned, have four paritions, one being and EFI System partition. "Legacy" booting (MBR) a 960 EVO will not work. UEFI booting is not required for using an NVMe SSD as a data drive. A full UEFI booting CSM configuration requires UEFI support of the video card.

If you had any other drives powered up in that PC when you installed Windows besides the 960 EVO, then the System/boot partition was put on another drive. Skipping the details, that is not a good thing.

Your processor being an ES model adds an unknown to the equation. How many PCIe lanes does it have? Were you able to install the Intel Chipset driver software and IME software successfully with that CPU?

If you could not see the NVMe SSD when used in the M.2 to PCIe adapter card in System Browser consistently, or at all in Windows, then either the adapter card was bad, or you had PCIe lane issues, or PCIe slot issues. Regardless, that is a bad sign, something is not right.

I've used M.2 to PCIe adapter cards with 960 EVOs (Asus Hyper cards) on multiple PCs, they work fine. I use two Intel 750 PCIe NVMe SSDs in my ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1 board, one as the OS drive, the other as a data drive, they work perfectly.

I would use the M2_2 slot if that is more stable, but that slot depends upon a 40 PCIe lane CPU. Just install it as a data drive and boot the PC. Install the Samsung NVMe driver. Install the Samsung Magician software, and see how the 960 EVO is recognized by that software. Verify the interface is PCIe 3.0 x4. Those are just simple basic "it works" tests. The 960 EVO seems to be the most problematic NVMe SSD given posts in this forum. I have two I have used in multiple PCs, no problems at all. Multiple Windows 10 installs, just because different platforms and fresh is the best.

EDIT: Your current OS drive must be an 850 Pro SATA SSD. A 950 Pro is an NVMe SSD, which actually can support Legacy booting.

As said above, any change to the BCLK will cause instability in any PCIe SSD.

Edited by parsec - 11 Aug 2017 at 12:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic