ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

x299 Taichi DDR4 compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x299 Taichi DDR4 compatibility
    Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:51am
So I have the x299 Taichi, 7820x, and Gskill DDR4 4266. The RAM fails to run at its XMP settings with 4266 speed dual channel and can only boot to 3600. I even updated the firmware to 1.6 with the supposed promise of better compatibility. Anyone also have this problem?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by realist realist wrote:

So I have the x299 Taichi, 7820x, and Gskill DDR4 4266. The RAM fails to run at its XMP settings with 4266 speed dual channel and can only boot to 3600. I even updated the firmware to 1.6 with the supposed promise of better compatibility. Anyone also have this problem?

Full model name and capacity of your G.SKILL memory kit please.

First, any memory speed above 2666 is a memory OC, and not guaranteed by ASRock or G.SKILL.

With your Skylake-X CPU, the highest speed G.SKILL memory listed in the Skylake-X Memory QVL is one 4000 model:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X299%20Taichi/index.asp#Memory

X299 and Skylake-X is so new, the number of users is very small. I don't even have one yet, and may never have one. So asking for the experience of others simply about this platform will be a very tiny user base at this time. The maturity of the UEFI/BIOS at this time is still quite young and new, it will be a while before it is dialed in for high memory over clocks. Similar to the Ryzen release, X299 was rushed out early, and mother board manufactures had very little time to prepare their products.

A memory speed of 4266 is very high, and not likely to be achieved simply by enabling the XMP profile, if it will be even possible to achieve. Performance/Mainstream Skylake processors include a maximum of one G.SKILL 4GB DIMM at 3866 possible, at best, in an equivalent board.

What is the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages set to currently? Have you increased the DRAM voltage above 1.35V yet?

Which DIMM slots are you currently using?

Do you have a CPU OC applied now?
realist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 2:05pm
http://gskill.com/en/finder?cat=31&series=0&prop_14=0&prop_2=0&prop_6=0&prop_3=4266MHz&prop_4=0&prop_1=0

I tried to run them on dual channel XMP settings using C1 + D1 slots but it only tops out at 3600. CPU at stock settings or overclocked made no difference. I thought that new 1.6 firmware would improve things heh

Edited by realist - 12 Aug 2017 at 2:08pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 3:47pm
In general, anything faster than 3600 requires some tinkering. There are so many factors at play in getting faster RAM to work at it's rated speeds. I honestly don't know why RAM manufacturers push these onto the market, sure they are higher binned RAM chips but at the end of the day I have not met a single person, with any motherboard (brand/model), that has gotten one of these 4000+ kits to work just by enabling XMP. IMO there will only be a handful of board models that it will work on out the box with just XMP, the ones the memory manufacturer tested on.

Don't let that discourage you though, take a look around the net for some RAM overclocking tutorials. You won't likely find any for X299 yet but the basics should be universal to all DDR4 supporting chipsets/boards. Personally, I would just try for 3733 - 4000 and then tighten up the timings as much as I can, it will provide better performance that way than it's full 4266 rated speed with super loose timings. It's all about balance, timings vs frequency.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by realist realist wrote:

http://gskill.com/en/finder?cat=31&series=0&prop_14=0&prop_2=0&prop_6=0&prop_3=4266MHz&prop_4=0&prop_1=0

I tried to run them on dual channel XMP settings using C1 + D1 slots but it only tops out at 3600. CPU at stock settings or overclocked made no difference. I thought that new 1.6 firmware would improve things heh

Your link does not work in your post, but I can get it to work to a page with five G.SKILL 4266 models:

If we check the G.SKILL QVL for each model, we find one Asus Z270 board (ROG Maximus IX Apex) listed under four memory models, and no other boards.

The fifth model has the ASRock Z170 OC Formula listed as the only compatible board.

As Xaltar said, there are very few specialized boards that are capable of running DDR4 memory at or above 4000. It is much too early to know what the memory over clocking potential of Skylake-X processors will be. Your board appears to be capable of speeds approaching 4000, but only with certain memory models.

Have you posted in the G.SKILL forum for any help or tips with your memory?

I would forget the XMP profile, and set ALL the memory timings to Auto. Set the DRAM voltage to 1.4V (the specified voltage for the 4000+ kits), and using the XMP voltage values for VCCIO and VCCSA as a starting point, put those voltages in manually. You will need to increase both of those voltages if a higher speed fails to POST or boot. Then try to increase the memory speed from 3600, one step in speed at a time. Do not have any CPU OC in use while trying to increase the memory speed. If the PC boots at a higher speed, use the PC at that speed for a while to see if it is stable, it might BSOD under stress. Memory BSODs can cause corruption to your Windows installation, so be prepared for that.

Please be careful, as the voltages required for memory at that speed are beyond the usual limits. I'd like to know what the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages are for that memory, since the DRAM voltage is at 1.4V.
realist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 3:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic