ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4+ Offset Mode

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip1790 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme4+ Offset Mode
    Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 3:16am
i7 6700k I'm running 4.6Ghz. Upgraded BIOS to latest 7.20. I have my vCore set in Fixed Mode, but I want speedstep and vCore Offset Mode to be enabled so the board can downclock and downvolt the CPU when idling.

I enabled C1E state
I enabled Speedstep
Enabled vCore Offset Mode with Auto setting & Line 1 Calibartion

System crashes before Windows boots up.

Any other settings I should be applying/enabling/disabling to achieve Offset mode?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 9:11am
Originally posted by kip1790 kip1790 wrote:

i7 6700k I'm running 4.6Ghz. Upgraded BIOS to latest 7.20. I have my vCore set in Fixed Mode, but I want speedstep and vCore Offset Mode to be enabled so the board can downclock and downvolt the CPU when idling.

I enabled C1E state
I enabled Speedstep
Enabled vCore Offset Mode with Auto setting & Line 1 Calibartion

System crashes before Windows boots up.

Any other settings I should be applying/enabling/disabling to achieve Offset mode?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

I use C1E and SpeedStep all the time without any problems, including C States up (down?) to C7 and Package.

Can you get into the UEFI/BIOS with your configuration, before the PC crashes? If so, the point is to check what the VCore is in the UEFI, to get at least some idea what it is.

Otherwise you need to change the Auto Offset voltage, whatever the VCore is, it seems to be to low.

With the Auto option highlighted, press the + key to add an offset voltage. Give it +0.1 to +0.15V for a start. How the UEFI works can differ between boards, but normally for ASRock Z170 boards, the Offset voltage is a small voltage value. You may need to press the + key for a while to reach 0.1V, etc.

Then Save and Exit, and see if Windows boots. If it does, then check what your VCore is in Windows. If it seems very high, you can try to reduce it from whatever you used.

If the PC still crashes, go back into the UEFI and increase the Offset Voltage value again. Repeat until Windows boots.

What do you use for a monitoring program in Windows?

kip1790 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip1790 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:50am
Apologies for the delay in responding, thanks so much for your suggestions. I did as you suggested:

1. Enabled ALL C states and Package
2. Increased Offset Voltage (Mv) to 150 so +1.5v

And for the purpose of anyone else configuring offset mode to downclock/downvolt I also enabled Speedstep.

I use CPU-Z in Windows, it booted no problem at +1v but wanted to test at +1.5v.

Under Stress CPU test I have core speed at 4.7Ghz and vCore at 1.40v.
Under max load I would be using PC for day to day I have vCore at 1.36v which suits nicely.

Thanks again for all your help!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:01am
Originally posted by kip1790 kip1790 wrote:

Apologies for the delay in responding, thanks so much for your suggestions. I did as you suggested:

1. Enabled ALL C states and Package
2. Increased Offset Voltage (Mv) to 150 so +1.5v

And for the purpose of anyone else configuring offset mode to downclock/downvolt I also enabled Speedstep.

I use CPU-Z in Windows, it booted no problem at +1v but wanted to test at +1.5v.

Under Stress CPU test I have core speed at 4.7Ghz and vCore at 1.40v.
Under max load I would be using PC for day to day I have vCore at 1.36v which suits nicely.

Thanks again for all your help!

Great, glad that worked for you! Not to worry, good news tends to come in slowly, but bad news always appears right away! Wink

1.36V is great for 4.7GHz, you may be able to get it a little below that depending upon your maximum load type, but probably not worth the effort.

Thanks for letting us know your results! Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic