ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X299 Taichi Ram Configuration / Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bahgoogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X299 Taichi Ram Configuration / Issue
    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 5:48am
Hi guys,

Seeming to have a little bit of trouble with my X299 Taichi system at the moment.

I've been having a lot of BSOD's recently (approx 3 a day), never the same reason in the description.
It was mentioned to me that i should test the RAM, as that may be an issue.
My kit is a GSkill Trident Z 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4-3200 (F4-3200C16Q-64GTZKW).

I tested each module individually in slot A1 using windows memory diagnostic.
3 out of the 4 modules came back with errors. So i've pulled all but the one module that passed the test.

I figured that may be the issue, but have since had another BSOD.

I had the RAM running using it's XMP Profile at 3200MHz since i updated the BIOS to the latest 1.60.
These were the only settings that i changed, as im no overclocker, and a new convert from mac to pc.

been running for a day now without a BSOD which is a positive.

My question is, do you think the RAM is faulty as per the 3 sticks failing the memory diagnostic, or did i do something wrong with setting the XMP profile? I was under the impression that you just had to switch that over and set the correct speed? Or am i missing something?

I'm still probably going to RMA the RAM as the modules failing the diagnostic isnt good anyway.

If anyone has any advice, would be appreciated.

System specs:

ASRock X299 Taichi (BIOS 1.60)
GSkill Trident Z 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4-3200 (F4-3200C16Q-64GTZKW)
intel i9-7900X
System drive: Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512GB
Alt Drive: Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1tb
2 x GTX 1080 Ti FE
Corsair H100i v2 AIO Cooler
Corsair HX1000 PSU
Windows 10 Pro

Let me know if you need any other details.

Thanks!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 6:18am
Na. It's probably you setting the speed after setting XMP.

Clear your CMOS(not reset the the BIOS) , go back into the BIOS, select the XMP Profile only, Save and Reboot.

That's all that's needed to set XMP. I'm asking to clear the CMOS as my experiences say you probably should after erroneously setting the speed too. ie: I very much doubt 3 bad sticks.

Post back how things go after doing that.

Nothing here. Move on!

16,441 - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13030306
bahgoogen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bahgoogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 4:19am
You are seemingly a wizard!
Have been running stable for 2 days now. Although im still only on 1 RAM stick, i have been too busy with work to test out the other ones individually. But from all reports looking good. I cant believe it was just me setting the speed that was causing all the issues.

By me setting the speed, instead of "Auto" in the BIOS, is that effectively telling the RAM to run at that speed the whole time instead of fluctuating as it needs to?

(apologies for the all the new kid queries, im still very green to building my own system)

Will report back again when i get the full 64GB back in there.

EDIT: ok, i spoke 5 mins too soon. Just had an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD. Will let you know how it goes.

Edited by bahgoogen - 26 Sep 2017 at 4:30am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by bahgoogen bahgoogen wrote:

You are seemingly a wizard!
Have been running stable for 2 days now. Although im still only on 1 RAM stick, i have been too busy with work to test out the other ones individually. But from all reports looking good. I cant believe it was just me setting the speed that was causing all the issues.

By me setting the speed, instead of "Auto" in the BIOS, is that effectively telling the RAM to run at that speed the whole time instead of fluctuating as it needs to?

(apologies for the all the new kid queries, im still very green to building my own system)

Will report back again when i get the full 64GB back in there.

EDIT: ok, i spoke 5 mins too soon. Just had an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD. Will let you know how it goes.

First of all, if you enabled the XMP profile in the UEFI, and your memory is rated at 3200, then the memory speed should have been set to 3200 automatically. That would be called the DRAM Frequency, and be shown as "DDR4-3200". It sounds like you changed it manually, which is not necessary, and so we don't know what you actually did.

If the screen you used to set the memory speed said "Memory Clock Speed", and showed values like "1600MHz", then if you chose "3200MHz", you actually set your DRAM Frequency to 6400.

DDR means Double Data Rate, so the speed of the memory is two times the memory clock speed. A memory clock speed of 1600MHz = DDR4-3200. Even this is really not the correct way to specify memory speed, but in this case you should see DDR4-3200 as the memory speed.

Memory speed does not fluctuate at all, under any circumstances. CPU speed does fluctuate under load, as long as the options that allow it to fluctuate are enabled. You seem to have the two things confused.

There are many settings in the UEFI that if you set only one of them incorrectly, it will prevent the PC from starting completely. You'll get nothing on the monitor at all. This is no longer the Apple walled garden where you are protected from ignorance (lack of knowledge), but are now in the Wild West, where anything goes and you MUST know what you are doing. If you don't understand what you are doing, then don't do it.

Put all your memory in the PC, go into the UEFI, click on Load Defaults, then Save and Exit. Use the PC as a test to see if the memory works at its stock, default, lower speed. If you get no BSODs, then you can try increasing the speed. If you get BSODs, something else is the cause.

bahgoogen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bahgoogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 2:05pm
Thank you for the instructions and explanations.

I have reset my BIOS and enabled XMP Profile only. 

I have been doing more research and analysing my crash mini dumps and am now leaning towards Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 as more of the issue.

Seems as though this issue is quite widespread with the X299 platform across most processors. Also tied in especially with Adobe software which i also run.

I ASRock aware of such issues?

I have disabled Turbo Boost Max 3.0 from the BIOS and will see how I go in regards to BSODs and will report back.
Raggz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raggz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:56am
I have similar issues With G.Skill Trident Z 2x8GB 3600Mhz kit. I can't use XMP at all. I get BSOD after 10-30 mins of gaming. If i set it on auto it Works fine but runs on 2133Mhz. I flashed the bios With 1.60A beta wich should improve RAM bandwith but it didn't help.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Raggz Raggz wrote:

I have similar issues With G.Skill Trident Z 2x8GB 3600Mhz kit. I can't use XMP at all. I get BSOD after 10-30 mins of gaming. If i set it on auto it Works fine but runs on 2133Mhz. I flashed the bios With 1.60A beta wich should improve RAM bandwith but it didn't help.

Why are you certain that it is your memory that is causing the BSOD during gaming?

A UEFI/BIOS update that improves memory bandwidth, does not necessarily improve memory compatibility, and probably doesn't.

G.SKILL has so many models of TridentZ memory that we really need the full model number of your memory to know what model you use.

DDR4 XMP profiles can be problematic, since the multiple platforms that use DDR4 memory (X99, Z170, Z270, X299, Ryzen, Threadripper, to name a few) can have differing requirements. I've seen this personally with my Z170 and Ryzen systems, even with memory that was specified for them.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:19am
Originally posted by bahgoogen bahgoogen wrote:

Thank you for the instructions and explanations.

I have reset my BIOS and enabled XMP Profile only. 

I have been doing more research and analysing my crash mini dumps and am now leaning towards Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 as more of the issue.

Seems as though this issue is quite widespread with the X299 platform across most processors. Also tied in especially with Adobe software which i also run.

I ASRock aware of such issues?

I have disabled Turbo Boost Max 3.0 from the BIOS and will see how I go in regards to BSODs and will report back.

Intel's Turbo 3.0 feature uses a driver and software to implement its functioning, as you know. It was initially used only on Intel X99 boards with Broadwell-E HEDT processors.

It looks like Intel has a new version of the Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 software, version 1.0.0.1033, if you want to try it. I never had problems with it in my X99 PC using Windows 10, but X299 is new, so maybe some bugs are still being worked out. Fortunately, Turbo Boost Max 3.0 is not as basic a feature as the standard Turbo 2.0 boost is.

Did you have ITBM 3.0 configured to work with the Adobe software you use?

The instructions for this software states the other version of the Turbo Boost Max 3.0 software should be uninstalled first, and Windows restarted before installing the new version. Be sure to read the ITBMReadMe file in the download package for instructions on installation.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26103/Intel-Turbo-Boost-Max-Technology-3-0

If any mother board manufacture is aware of problems with ITBM 3.0 and X299, all they can do is wait for Intel to fix the driver and software.

Subw00er View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subw00er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 12:51pm
any update?
Taichi x299, i5-7640x, corsair vengence lpx 8GBx2 3200 (but at 2666 for now), H80i v2 cooler, 960 Pro m.2, noctua PWM fans, 8800GTS GPU (lol! GTX1070 coming soon).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic