ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4 - standby issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bevx87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bevx87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme4 - standby issues
    Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 1:24am
First of all, thank you for your very exhaustive answer. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

Quote Since you said the main problem happened after installing W10 Education, it seems it is related to that. So you did not have that problem with this board with another version of Windows?
The machine has been assembled in november 2016. W10 edu was the first OS installed. When I was trying to troubleshoot last year, I installed W7 briefly, I think it didn't have this issue, but I'm not 100% sure after a year.

Quote So you turn off the PSU, or otherwise remove AC power to the PSU, the "disconnected from the power" you said, correct?
Correct.

Quote When you said the PC attempts to go into standby after ten minutes, you mean Windows Sleep is configured to happen automatically after ten minutes of inactivity, correct?
Correct. The issue also occurs if I choose standby (my Windows in not in English, so I don't know if that option is actually "standby" in the English version) from the power menu.

Quote You said this problem only happens shortly after restoring AC power to the PSU, and the PC attempts to enter the S3 Sleep state. Once you force a shutdown and restart, the problem no longer occurs as long as you maintain AC power to the PSU, correct?
Exactly. Basically, if I leave it unplugged during the night, when I plug it in in the morning the problem is almost guaranteed to happen. Once it freezes, I keep the power button pressed until it turns off. From that point everything's ok until it's disconnected from the plug again.

Quote Have you ever tried using another PSU?
I have not. Unfortunately, I don't have another one on hand.

Quote What UEFI/BIOS version are you using? Did you try clearing the UEFI/BIOS as a cure for the problem?
Version 7.20. And no, I did not. How do I do that?

Quote W10 Education gave you the issue immediately, but reinstalling Windows 10 (same version) did not have the problem for a length of time, but then started again?
Yes, exactly. It went 9/10 months without this issue.

Quote Did you ever check the Windows logs after the freeze situation, for any clues to the problem?
Do you mean Event Viewer? The only thing I can find is this (loosely translated from Italian): "Impossible to resume from hibernation mode with error state 0xC00000BB".
I tried googling it but not many results.

Quote Were all the motherboard drivers installed in the same way, and same versions, for both Windows installations? Is Win 10 configured to allow automatic driver updates? It is by default. New software of any type installed at various times? No changes in hardware along the way?
Drivers were installed same way, same version.
I disabled the automatic driver updates, although after it started having the issue again.
No new software that I can think of.
No changes in hardware.

Quote The Deep Sleep option in the UEFI/BIOS is set to go into the S4 state (Auto setting) by default. It can be set to always go into S5.
Shoud I try doing this, you think?

Again, thanks for your answer, I tried basic troubleshooting but I was really out of ideas
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 10:07am
Originally posted by bevx87 bevx87 wrote:

Hello everybody.

I assembled my pc around november 2016 (W10 education). Right away it gave me this problem. 

Basically after it stays disconnected from the power for a while, when I turn it on it boots up fine, after 10 minutes it tries going in standby but it just freezes, screen turned off, mouse light off, keyboard light on, power light on, fans on, sometimes hdd light blinking a lot. 
It is impossible to wake it up from this state, only thing that works is keeping the power button pressed until it turns off. 

After it has been forcefully turned off once, the problem goes away. 
I'll also add that I normally can turn the pc on by pressing any key on the keyboard, but not after it's been disconnected from the power for a while.

Last year i tried reinstalling W10 and the problem disappeared until last month, when it just began again.

This time I'd like to actually understand what's causing it.

I'm not even sure it's a problem with the motherboard, I'm just asking for some tips on how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance

Your main issue is Windows 10 failing to enter S3 Sleep automatically. Some or all of the other issues seem to be normal behavior, which requires some explanation.

Since you said the main problem happened after installing W10 Education, it seems it is related to that. So you did not have that problem with this board with another version of Windows?

So you turn off the PSU, or otherwise remove AC power to the PSU, the "disconnected from the power" you said, correct?

When you said the PC attempts to go into standby after ten minutes, you mean Windows Sleep is configured to happen automatically after ten minutes of inactivity, correct?

You said this problem only happens shortly after restoring AC power to the PSU, and the PC attempts to enter the S3 Sleep state. Once you force a shutdown and restart, the problem no longer occurs as long as you maintain AC power to the PSU, correct?

Have you ever tried using another PSU?

What UEFI/BIOS version are you using? Did you try clearing the UEFI/BIOS as a cure for the problem?

W10 Education gave you the issue immediately, but reinstalling Windows 10 (same version) did not have the problem for a length of time, but then started again? Sporadic and/or random issues like this are the most difficult to diagnose. It could be anything from hardware, driver versions, Windows drivers vs drivers from hardware manufactures, Windows updates, and differences in Windows option settings and configurations.

Finding the actual cause as something specific, particularly with Windows Sleep issues, is very difficult. Add to that the seeming one time occurrence when power is removed from the board, fixed by a restart and keeping the PSU on AC power, that's even worse.

Did you ever check the Windows logs after the freeze situation, for any clues to the problem?

Were all the motherboard drivers installed in the same way, and same versions, for both Windows installations? Is Win 10 configured to allow automatic driver updates? It is by default. New software of any type installed at various times? No changes in hardware along the way?

Regarding starting the PC via the keyboard, when a PC is shutdown via Windows and is "off", power is still supplied to the board by the PSU's +5V standby power rail. Some of the components on the board are still on, such as the circuitry that allows us to start the PC with the power switch on the PC case. That switch being pressed is just a signal that then causes a signal to be sent to the PSU to activate its three main voltage rails.

Some of the other components that are active or partially active are the USB ports, which were initialized and activated when the PC went through the POST process when it was started. That is how we can "turn on" the PC via the keyboard (which is an option in the UEFI/BIOS), the entire system of circuitry that allows a single key press on the keyboard to provide the same result as pressing the power button on the PC case, is active and waiting to detect the keystroke.

Related to this are the Windows System Power States, and which power state the PC is in when it is shutdown via Windows. Windows 7 and earlier versions put the PC into the S5 power state. Windows 8 and forward that have the Fast Startup feature active (the default), put the PC in the S4 power state. Either of these power states, working with power still being supplied to the board, allow us to wake the PC via a keyboard, since the PC supports device wake alarms in S3, S4 and S5 power states.

All of the 'S' power states are called "working states", since the board is kept in varying degrees of operation depending upon the current power state. Although "shutdown", the board is still awake in any S3 - S5 power state.

When AC power is removed from the PSU, the board and all other components also are no long supplied with power. That is the G3 power state, mechanical off. No power is provided to the board, none of the hardware is initialized or operating. A full POST and startup process is necessary to get all the hardware working again. One exception to this is usually the networking chip, to allow the WOL feature to work, although a brief POST may occur to initialize the networking chip when power is again applied to the board.

One other important detail, is any restart of the PC causes it to go to the S5 power state. Windows fast startup does not work in that situation, it only works coming out of the S4 state. The Deep Sleep option in the UEFI/BIOS is set to go into the S4 state (Auto setting) by default. It can be set to always go into S5.

Finally the point of all this, when power is applied to the board again from the G3 state, it does not go into the S5 state. With nothing initialized, including the USB ports, the power on from keyboard or mouse (really via USB) cannot work.

bevx87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bevx87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 4:15am
Hello everybody.

I assembled my pc around november 2016 (W10 education). Right away it gave me this problem. 

Basically after it stays disconnected from the power for a while, when I turn it on it boots up fine, after 10 minutes it tries going in standby but it just freezes, screen turned off, mouse light off, keyboard light on, power light on, fans on, sometimes hdd light blinking a lot. 
It is impossible to wake it up from this state, only thing that works is keeping the power button pressed until it turns off. 

After it has been forcefully turned off once, the problem goes away. 
I'll also add that I normally can turn the pc on by pressing any key on the keyboard, but not after it's been disconnected from the power for a while.

Last year i tried reinstalling W10 and the problem disappeared until last month, when it just began again.

This time I'd like to actually understand what's causing it.

I'm not even sure it's a problem with the motherboard, I'm just asking for some tips on how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic