ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fixing a Semi-Broken PCIE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragunbo3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixing a Semi-Broken PCIE
    Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:27pm
Hello All, I have a P67 Pro3 SE mobo, and have an issue with the x16 slot. It works every once in awhile but half of the slot itself is sticking out from the board ( assuming this is the issue ) and am having to use the x4 slot which I think is severely limiting my fx card. Was wondering if it is possible to fix PCI-E slots? Have looked for a replacement board but they are pretty rare or very expensive for some reason or even the wrong version. This is the board below and its the top slot that is sticking out. Any help would be great thanks :)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:50pm
So the plastic part of the slot is pulling away from the board?

You can try pulling the board out of the case and laying it on a flat surface, something like one of those thick mouse pads should do the trick and protect the underside of the board. Then get a good low angle and take a look at the slot, carefully push it back down into place while watching to make sure none of the contact pins are bending. Slowly and carefully or you will bend things rather than fix them. 

Depending on what GPU you are using, the x4 slot should be fine. Anything more than a GTX 1060 would be bottlenecked by that system anyway and anything less than a GTX 1050Ti wouldn't bottleneck significantly with an x4 slot (PCIe 2.0?). Sandybridge is PCIe 2.0 and Ivybridge supports 3.0. If it is a 3.0 slot then x4 won't bottleneck even a GTX 1060 in any way you would notice. 

Edited by Xaltar - 06 Dec 2017 at 8:50pm
dragunbo3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragunbo3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 11:31am
Hi Xaltar, Yes the plastic piece is pulled out and there are 2-3 silver wire/pins coming out inside that plastic piece. Can take a pic if needed. Have tried to push it in in the past but am afraid I am going to snap the board. But if that is the general fix I will have to try again. Ya am using a 1050ti SC figured it was the max this board could do without much bottlenecking. Most forums I have read on it say that it could benefit from a x8 slot but would not really need the x16 slot as it wouldn't fill up the x4 slot on the 3.0 ( something along those lines ) as it's an older board an am using a 2nd gen i7 its 2.0 and just want to get the best out of it without having to replace the whole thing. Thanks for the info :)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:01pm
A 1050ti is fine at PCIe 3.0 x4, you won't see any performance increase using the x16 slot over the 4x. The 1050ti is roughly comparable to the GTX 960, using my GTX 960 on a PCIe 3.0 x1 (yes x1) yielded only about 3 - 4 fps less on average than an x16 slot in my testing. Some games will show a wider gap but nothing meaningful and this is going from x16 to x1, x4 is more than enough bandwidth for that GPU. 

Honestly, just keep using the x4 slot and enjoy your system as long as it lasts you Wink
dragunbo3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragunbo3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:09pm
It's a 2.0 x4 Yea just nitpicking feeling I could get more if I had that other slot working. I may try and pop it back in and see if it becomes a stable port again. Am very happy with it otherwise has been a solid rig. Thanks for the advice.

Edited by dragunbo3 - 07 Dec 2017 at 5:09pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:40pm
If you have even one electrical contact pulled up with the plastic slot, the electrical connection of the slot is compromised, and I would NOT suggest putting a video card in that slot! At best the card would not work, at worst it could be damaged.

The only way to possibly seat the plastic and contacts back in place would be to completely remove the board so you can examine the underside and see exactly what is broken. You would also need to solder, if possible, the metal contacts back in place, unless they were just mounting studs for the slot. But just pushing down on the slot without knowing what the other side looks like is dangerous.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic