ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregisteredabc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 4:13pm
I also got a computer that's running a Z77. Would feel a lot better if mobo manufacturers put out a statement saying they're working on the firmware updates, and which models they're planning to update. I'm looking at Asus and Gigabyte websites and forums, and they are in the dark like we are. I'm sure all of the manufacturers are working hard. Just would like some info.
Luminary99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luminary99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 12:41am
Another Z77 Extreme6 with Core i5 3570K

Subscribing to the thread in the hope that when Asrock gets around to providing a patch (or making a statement that they won't), that info will be posted in this thread.
Graag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 2:00am
Intel has stated that they will release microcode update for 90% of cpu's which are 5 years old or newer. Without the microcode-update there can't be a bios update. I guess it's possible that they would also fix older systems, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The worst holes (meltdown) are fixed by the OS updates. With the microcode-update the cpu would also have protection against some of the spectre variants but not all. With the microcode-update the computer would be reasonably safe. Without them it depends on the user. If security is a must, you need to get newer hardware. If it is not highest of priorities, keep using it and try to be careful.

That's how I see it now. We should know in the near future what's gonna happen to the older systems.

Edited by Graag - 07 Jan 2018 at 2:04am
Unregisteredabc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregisteredabc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:58am
Yeah so the Intel press release says their updates should cover CPUs released in the last 5 years. But my Z77 has an Ivy Bridge. Most of the consumer versions of Ivy Bridge came out in mid 2012, that's 5.5 years ago. Might be  bad news  for me. However, lots of the business versions of Ivy Bridge came out mid 2013. So I'm still hoping all of Ivy Bridge will be included.
davjens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davjens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 7:58pm
Another Z77 (Extreme4) owner here. I am following this thread and hoping for ASRock to release a timely BIOS update to fix these urgent security issues.

Edited by davjens - 07 Jan 2018 at 7:59pm
Termie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Termie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 5:46pm
I will watch the MB manufacturer's actions in this Intel case thoroughly. If Intel release microcode updates but AsRock will not publish updated BIOS versions then, my next mainboard will be one from these manufacturers which were more accommodating. I own a Z97E-ITX/ac with i5-5675c Broadwell.

I織m just a bit sceptical atm - not the slightest note/statement/post from AsRock until now, right?
Grom0X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grom0X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Termie Termie wrote:

I will watch the MB manufacturer's actions in this Intel case thoroughly. If Intel release microcode updates but AsRock will not publish updated BIOS versions then, my next mainboard will be one from these manufacturers which were more accommodating. I own a Z97E-ITX/ac with i5-5675c Broadwell.

I織m just a bit sceptical atm - not the slightest note/statement/post from AsRock until now, right?
I agree with you dude!
csasr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csasr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 1:57pm
Glad to see several Z77 people! I'm on Z77 ITX, so my replacement options are quite limited o_O
Unregisteredabc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregisteredabc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 4:51pm
Bad news. Asus announced that they are only doing updates for 6th, 7th, and 8th gen CPUs, which I think are Skylake, Kabylake and Coffeelake. The only older ones they will do is X99 chipset, which I think is for the enthusiast tier Haswell and Broadwell 4th and 5th gen. Essentially, Asus is only supporting back to 3 years, which is the typical warranty period for most mobos.

If this is what other mobo manufacturers are doing, then I assume we will not get updates for Sandy, Ivy, and most Haswell and Broadwell.

The only thing we can hope for is that Spectre is difficult to exploit. Meltdown should be mitigated by the Windows updates.

Edited by Unregisteredabc - 09 Jan 2018 at 4:54pm
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Unregisteredabc Unregisteredabc wrote:

Asus announced that they...

Well, at least they announced something... If you judge by ASRock's silence you'd get the impression they closed shop for good...
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic