ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bios update for all generation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boistordu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bios update for all generation
    Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 1:27am
Guys,

I'm a tech dev, system architect and many things more.
You can't ask the casual people to update microcode from their CPU or intel ME through a manual process if you have already implemented an automatic one through your bios.
So Do you job for what you are paid for, or hire some consultants to do it but/
1/ your silent about #Spectre and #Meltdown is unacceptable
2/ the fact that you don't even put updates on the support pages of the motherboard at least from the 1xx to the latter models, is INACCEPTABLE.
3/ there is no debate here and no excuse to vouch for it.

Just do what you are say in your disclaimer. Intel have already sent you the different update and microcode and I know that for a fact, So put on pause your PR and CES and bullsh*t things about new products and fix your mess first.

Best regards
SiliconTrigger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiliconTrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:43am
It's a joke. They call themselves 'The global leading motherboard manufacturer' in the latest news release, but actually have been sitting on their butts for the last 7 or 8 days communicating absolutely nothing. No info, no patches, no nothing.

In hindsight, I regret having gone with ASRock in the past just to save maybe 10 bucks over a competitor product, who pretty much are working feverishly to put out patches at this time.
MX16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MX16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 12:04pm
ASRock did send me a microcode update and instructions on how to update it through the BIOS for Intel ME issue, and shortly after released an update through the store.

They shortly after released a BIOS update for the 100 series Intel CPUs on the Beta section for the Hyperthreading issue, so I don't know what you're talking about.

This one, according to Ars Technica, is an entirely different story, since Windows might be the one providing some systems the updates for one, and the other one that requires microcode , and the 100 series boards are approaching the 3 year mark and support might be dropped due to the boards being too different from the current ones.

I'd still open a support request (Not here, through the support system, requires board serial number and purchase date I think)

Edited by MX16 - 12 Jan 2018 at 2:24pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiliconTrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:12am
I think the misunderstanding is that you are talking about the Management Engine vulnerability whereas I am talking about Meltdown/Spectre ;)
tsunami2311 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami2311 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 6:00am
they started releasing updates already they starting with current and working backwards  as far as i can see.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z370%20Extreme4/index.asp#BIOS

Most people dont bother with updating bios and microcodes, short of MS pushing everything that is need to  patchs this, most will go unprotrected or half protected. And it is rare i seen MS push microcodes threw windows updates, which is something Ms should get into the habit of keeping up to date

Intel released microcodes update even for my dads dou core 8400e, it up to end user to do those updates, which require to many hoops to go threw so normal person wont do it.  or board manufactures to do updates to bios, which again require people to do the updates.

Buy systems from say dell/hp what not will mostly likely be updated but again requre enduser  get the updates

MS need to push the required microcode for majority of public to get fixes that are needed.

Edited by tsunami2311 - 13 Jan 2018 at 6:11am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiliconTrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:07am
Originally posted by tsunami2311 tsunami2311 wrote:

Most people dont bother with updating bios and microcodes, short of MS pushing everything that is need to  patchs this, most will go unprotrected or half protected. And it is rare i seen MS push microcodes threw windows updates, which is something Ms should get into the habit of keeping up to date

True that. If MS learned from Linux how to load Microcode during OS boot, we wouldn't need to wait for ASRock to, maybe, at some point release a firmware update.
compuguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compuguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by SiliconTrigger SiliconTrigger wrote:

Originally posted by tsunami2311 tsunami2311 wrote:

True that. If MS learned from Linux how to load Microcode during OS boot, we wouldn't need to wait for ASRock to, maybe, at some point release a firmware update.

I recall a time when Microsoft did push out microcode updates via OS updates.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic