ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spectre microcode update for Windows user

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote singinanarchist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spectre microcode update for Windows user
    Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 2:33am
Disclaimer: Use at your own risk

There's no need to wait for asrock to update their bioses. You can update the cpu microcode yourself with "VMware CPU Microcode Update Driver" and Intel Microcode.

Download the latest Intel microde for your processor : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File

Download VMware CPU Microcode Update Driver : https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vmware-cpu-microcode-update-driver

You also need the AMD microcode files, the link in the guide is not working. Since they just need to be present but are not used for Intel update, I downloaded these ones from here https://github.com/OpenELEC/cpu-firmware/tree/master/firmware/amd-ucode

You can check your vulnerability status with https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

aldamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 4:42am
EDIT: Doesn't actually work. 

Worked for me with Haswell-E X99. Hopefully Intel continues to patch the older stuff so I can give it a shot with Ivy Bridge HTPC. Thank you so much for posting!

Edited by aldamon - 19 Jan 2018 at 9:28pm
GuruNot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuruNot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 6:28am
I carried this out on my X99-WS with i7-5930k .... it updated the microcode from 38 to 3B .

Intel Core i7 5930K | ASRock X99 WS | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX 2.0+ | SM951 M2 NVMe | QPAD MK-85
DeathAdder Chroma | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | AX860i | Win 10 Pro x64
Grom0X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grom0X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 6:34am
FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grom0X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grom0X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 6:40am
We need new BIOS from AsRock for real FIX, end of story!
singinanarchist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singinanarchist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Grom0X Grom0X wrote:

What's your problem ???

Quote We need new BIOS from AsRock for real FIX, end of story!

Sure. But if it never happens or happens in 6 months, don't you want a solution ? I do.
aldamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by singinanarchist singinanarchist wrote:

What's your problem ???

Quote We need new BIOS from AsRock for real FIX, end of story!

Sure. But if it never happens or happens in 6 months, don't you want a solution ? I do.

So I was discussing your fix over at HardForum and atarione found this post over at Bleepingcomputer. Your fix appears to fool InSpectre but it isn't really doing anything:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/intel-releases-linux-cpu-microcodes-to-fix-meltdown-and-spectre-bugs/

LConstantin - 6 days ago

The VMware Driver option doesn't work because it starts too late in the kernel initialization process (it's a kernel driver). Microcode updates need to be reapplied at every boot, because the CPU doesn't have non-volatile memory. It's normally the BIOS that applies it during boot so by the time the OS starts, the OS will see the new microcode. In this case, the WIndows kernel sees the old microcode before the VMware Driver kicks in and applies it. Because of this it disables its own software-based Spectre mitigation. The VMware driver can be used to test if the microcode update for your CPU contains the Spectre patch, but that's about it. It won't actually be used. The result from Microsoft's Speculation Control Validation PowerShell Script will look like this:
Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True <-- microcode contains the patch
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True <-- Software patch present. Windows update installed.
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: False <-- Support disabled because the microcode update got applied too late

and lower:
BTIHardwarePresent : True
BTIWindowsSupportPresent : True
BTIWindowsSupportEnabled : False

PowerShell proof:

https://imgur.com/a/UB6N6

Edited by aldamon - 19 Jan 2018 at 9:29pm
singinanarchist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singinanarchist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:55pm
Thanks for the link, very interesting discussion.

Seems logical, I thought Linux and Windows were doing the same thing with the code but apparently not.

I tested the SpeculationControl script and get the same negative result for BTIWindowsSupportEnabled.

Then the solution is to patch the BIOS with the microcode.
Grom0X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grom0X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 5:25am
soulstealer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soulstealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 8:24am

New bios for Intel SA-0008 security update

there is no new bios for example for h170 fatality yet ...

and btw the current patches are know to cause serious issues, like reboots etc

it was said they are working on a beta patch until next wednesday

i wont patch my system with a faulty cpu bios yet

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/firmware-updates-and-initial-performance-data-for-data-center-systems/

Edited by soulstealer - 20 Jan 2018 at 8:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic