ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compatibility Support Mode Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinkol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compatibility Support Mode Issue
    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 11:18pm
I have had some boot problems when CSM is enabled  on a Fatl1ty 1 Gaming K4 motherboard.  There are 3 drives:

Samsung 850 Pro
Adata SU800
WD 3TB Green

All drives are formated as GPT devices.

If the SU800 is connected and CSM enabled, the boot hangs on the splash screen. Updating the firmware of the SU800 and the motherboard has not helped (may be that a previous update was the problem),  The problem occurs whether I use the AMD SATA ports or the ports provided by the 3rd party SATA controller. My suspicion is that it is a firmware issue, but I can't tell for sure whether it is in the SSD or the motherboard.

Any ideas?
rinkol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinkol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 8:00pm
A further update.  I can now only get the secondary SSD to work if it is plugged into the Asmedia SATA port  AND disable CSM. This  SSD does not show up at all in the UEFI . I am suspicious about the SSD. Some months ago, it failed with total loss of data, but I was able to reformat it.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 12:39am
rinkol, we have no idea what ASRock product(s) you have, what you are trying to do, why you are messing with CSM, or if you have RAID(s).  When you tell us, we may be able to venture a guess.  Enjoy, John

EDIT: CSM is Compatibility Support Module.

Edited by MisterJ - 06 Feb 2018 at 12:40am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
rinkol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinkol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:18am
A bit more detail. I have

Fatal1ty Gaming K4 MB with 1700X CPU
Samsung 850 Pro SSD boot drive with W10 connected to SATA 3_0
Adata SU 800 SSD secondary drive connected to SATA3_1 or Asmedia SATA port
WD green 3TB secondary drive connected to SATA3_3

All drives are GPT and formatted NTFS. EFI and operating system partitions exist only on the Samsung drive.

I've been having problems with the SU 800, which is used exclusively for data.  Once there was a complete loss of data, but I was able to reformat the drive. More recently, the computer stopped booting and I discovered that I either had to remove the drive or put it on the Asmedia SATA port with CSM disabled to allow  booting to proceed from the Samsung SSD.  Otherwise, I get to the initial splash screen and the system basically hangs (if I recall correctly, it shows "a2").
I have noticed that the SU 800 drive does not show up in the  UEFI, though the others do. It would seem that there is some kind of incompatibility between this particular SU 800 and the B350 chipset.  I have updated the firmware on both the motherboard and SU 800, and reset the motherboard firmware, but this has not helped. I've also tried a different SATA cable, again with no success. Although I can't find any indications of SMART errors, I am inclined to blame the SU 800 at this point as the other storage devices have been trouble-free.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 4:28am
Thanks, rinkol.  I strongly suggest you contact Adata and see if they will issue you an RMA.  I use CSM to force my BIOS/UEFI to boot exclusive in UEFI mode and do not understand why it seems to help your situation.  What is your power supply, BIOS and OS versions?  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic