ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Taichi not recognizing mem slot C1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcaton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 Taichi not recognizing mem slot C1
    Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 3:23pm
I've swapped memory around but nothing I put in C1 works.  What is strange though, is that in the "System Browser" view, it does recognize that there is a memory module in C1 and the info for that module is correct, so the board is correctly recognizing what's there.

However, in the main screen it shows total memory as 48gb, Triple-Channel memory mode, and "none" for slot DDR4_C1.

As suggested in another post I found here, I disabled 'MRC Fast Boot' and enabled 'Memory Test' and 'Memory Test on Fast Boot', but that had no effect.  Everything else is set to their defaults.  I'm not trying to overclock anything nor do I have any desire to do so.  

Updated bios to 1.50 but that had no effect either.  Cleared cmos, etc.  All the obvious stuff.  Everything appears to be working correctly otherwise, although for some reason Windows cannot determine the processor or memory (in Properties window of This PC).    That's a bit strange as well.

CPU: i7-6850
Memory: 64gb (4x16) Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133Mhz HX421C14FBK4/64)
SSD: Samsung 960 PRO 1TB
HDD: Western Digital Red 2TB WD20EFRX

The memory is listed in the QVL for this mb, so I wasn't expecting any issues.  Changing out the mb is a real pain.  Any suggestions before I send it back? 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by dcaton - 26 Feb 2018 at 9:12pm
dorken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dorken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 5:16am
Such problems are usually caused by contact issues.
Remount the CPU could help, but mostly one or more contact springs in the socket
are bent.
Probably the contacts for the SPD ROM are okay so the memory is detected  but one of the vital contacts not and BIOS disabled the module...

dcaton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcaton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 8:08pm
Thanks.  It does in fact look like there are problems with the CPU contacts.  Some of them appear to be  bent.  I tried straightening them out with a very small pick and magnifying glass but it still doesn't work.

Perhaps I got a board that someone else returned.  There is a place in the box where it looks like a smaller box should have been, which I presume would have contained the various cables, parts, etc.  But all the cables, etc. were just scattered all over the box. I was a bit suspicious but I didn't see any obvious signs that the board had been previously used.

In any case, I already ordered a replacement and will examine the contacts closely before installing it.  The CPU only fits one way of course, so I'm not sure how the pins would have gotten bent.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic