ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AsRock X99 Taichi board DOA?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fugalism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AsRock X99 Taichi board DOA?
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:32pm
Hey,

My brand new AsRock X99 Taichi board refuses to boot. I keep getting error code 19 everytime, unless I put 1 stick in A2/B2, then I get error 53.
Tried all RAM slot combinations, reseating the CPU and clearing CMOS. BIOS version is 1.40.
CPU: i7 5820k
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair CMK16GX4M4A2800C16
Both are compatible according to AsRock's website. Am I missing something here or will this have to an RMA? If that's the case I'm just getting a refund and selling my CPU as I'm completely fed up with X99 boards. My last Gigabyte board quit on me after 3 months and now it seems I have another non-functional X99 board.

Regards,
fugalism

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 5:00pm
Check the CPU and make sure there is no dirt/debris or damage to the contact pads or bending on the substrate. Given you had the CPU in another board that died, that is the first place I would look. It looks like either bad RAM (not likely if all sticks fail to post but possible) or a damaged CPU, probably a dead IMC (Memory controller on the CPU).

Sadly, all too often when a component in a PC dies, particularly critical ones like Motherboard, CPU and power supply they tend to take other components with them. 

I hope that isn't the case for you.

If you can, see if you can find a way to test your CPU in another board with different RAM, if it works then try your RAM in that board too. 

Tough break Cry
fugalism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fugalism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:25pm
Unfortunately I don't have access to another X99 board, so that won't be a possibility. I did notice some barely visible smudges on the CPU, which don't come off with alcohol. I've been extremely careful with it, so no idea how they got there. My previous board was a Gigabyte one which randomly got into a boot loop. No post whatsoever, which led me to believe it was the board. The entire set worked fine up until the loop so I find it hard to believe the CPU would just be dead now. I guess I'm going to have to return this mobo, and see if my CPU still has warranty on it. :(

EDIT: Just wondering, but why would I get a different error with 1 stick in A2 or B2? These are the slots suggested by the manual when the board produces errors possibly caused by RAM. 53 means no usable memory, which I find odd.

Edited by fugalism - 12 Mar 2018 at 8:30pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:06am
Two things from my reading your post.

Both errors you see are memory related.
http://asrock.com/support/faq.us.asp?id=334

Corsair is nasty in that if the Kit(Kit right? All 4 from same Kit?) is not v5.29 as the QVL indicates, that very well could be your issue. Corsair changes IC lots seemingly at will, hence the versioning of their memory.

The other being pull the CPU and look for bent/misplaced socket "pins'

X370 SLI/ac(r1.03, BIOS 4.80), 1500X, H115i, F4-4133C19D-16GTZA, 850 EVO 500GB+1TB, ThermalTake Core X9 Black

16,441 - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13030306
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:12am
Huh?

I just d/l'd your manual.......... Slots A2 or B2??

Mem in slots A1, B1, C1, and D1 ..... Pull cmos batt and jumper, reverse to UN-jumper, and see if it boots.

If not up a pic showing the version number of this mem please

Note: Always, whenever you move or change a stick of mem, ALWAYS clear the BOIS. Each and every time.

Edited by wardog - 13 Mar 2018 at 12:13am
X370 SLI/ac(r1.03, BIOS 4.80), 1500X, H115i, F4-4133C19D-16GTZA, 850 EVO 500GB+1TB, ThermalTake Core X9 Black

fugalism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fugalism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

[URL=][/URL]Huh?

I just d/l'd your manual.......... Slots A2 or B2??

Mem in slots A1, B1, C1, and D1 ..... Pull cmos batt and jumper, reverse to UN-jumper, and see if it boots.

If not up a pic showing the version number of this mem please

Note: Always, whenever you move or change a stick of mem, ALWAYS clear the BOIS. Each and every time.

?

I'll try this and upload a pic of my memory tonight when I get home. A2 and B2 is based on AsRock's FAQ when memory issues occur when using quad-channel. Normally you'd indeed insert them into A1, B1, C1 and D1.
fugalism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fugalism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 2:25am
Well I reassembled it all. Cleared CMOS,RAM in the correct slots and still error 19. I've included a pic of the RAM I'm using. Using a kit of these, so they're all the same. They should be compatible according to AsRock's website.

RAM seems to be version 4.24, is that an issue?

Edited by wardog - 14 Mar 2018 at 2:59am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 2:58am

Corsair is nasty in that if the Kit(Kit right? All 4 from same Kit?) is not v5.29 as the QVL indicates, that very well could be your issue. Corsair changes IC lots seemingly at will, hence the versioning of their memory.

I'm going on your Kit is not the QVL's v5.29 Kit tested on the QVL.

Borrow some mem from a friend or take it to a computer shop to verify my thoughts.

fugalism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fugalism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 4:42pm

[URL=][/URL]

I'm going on your Kit is not the QVL's v5.29 Kit tested on the QVL.

Borrow some mem from a friend or take it to a computer shop to verify my thoughts.

That's what I was afraid of. I think I'm just gonna return the board and get a different one then, which sucks as this board seemed to be among the few that actually got positive reviews. I bought the RAM second hand, so I can't return it.
Thanks for the help though!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic