ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z87 extreme6/ac: strange behaviour

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lievenborms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z87 extreme6/ac: strange behaviour
    Posted: 05 May 2018 at 4:45pm

Dear,

I have some issues with my Asrock Z87 extreme6/ac motherboard.

This is how my configuration looks like: Asrock Z87 extreme6/ac using OnBoard graphics (no additional graphic card installed), Intel I7-4771, 2x Curcisal Ballistix 16 GB DDR3-1600, 2x SSD 500GB 840 EVO, 1x Toshiba 3TB HDD, Corsair RM650.
Never overclocked anything or used advanced settings.

I've bought this motherboard in the beginning of 2014. Until a year ago it worked fine without any problems. Since then some strange behaviours where showing up.

Normally I never shut down my computer, I'm bring it in a sleep mode so I can wake him up on LAN (WoL). Since then the computer was starting up automatically from time to time. The problem was solved for a few weeks/months when I cleared the CMOS or installed the flash BIOS (2.30) again.

Later some other issues where showing up. When pressing the start/power button, it seemed that computer was starting (ventilators where started) but after just 1 or 2 seconds the computer stops. (It looked like or somebody pulled out the power cable). The time was so short that nothing could be displayed on Dr. Debug. But without doing anything, sometimes the computer started again after 5-10sec and sometimes it stayed off. I've used the start button on the case and also the power button on the motherboard, both buttons gave the same result. The problem still persist after changing the BIOS switch to the second one.
After several resets, clearing CMOS, removing memory,... the motherboard was working again like before. So I've flashed the BIOS again to be sure the system was clean and made all the settings like it was configured in the past. For some weeks the computer was working just like before and then the problem was back again.

Because the latest stable version of the BIOS wasn't helping, I've installed beta version 2.60. The installation went fine, so my computer was working again. Unfortunately a few days later I couldn't start my computer. This time a variety of numbers showed up on Dr. Debug for a longer time and then the computer was stuck at a 'd6' error and noting showed up on the screen. This error means 'The VGA could not be recognized. Please clear CMOS and try re-installing the VGA card. If the problem still exists, please try installing the VGA card in other slots or use other VGA cards.'

Clearing the CMOS couldn't solve the problem, also changing the BIOS switch wasn't helping. Because this issue is related to a VGA card, and I'm only using the onboard graphics, I've installed a PCIe graphics card. With this addition the computer could boot up again. Just for safety, I've flashed the BIOS again to the stable version 2.30.

Now the computer was working fine when the VGA card was installed, when removing it the problem was back again. So, I've checked the BIOS settings and I've noticed something very weird. In the past I could choose 'PCIe', 'PCI' or 'OnBoard' as primary graphics and now I can only choose 'PCIe' or 'PCI' the 'OnBoard' option can't be found.
During the flashing and changing the BIOS settings, I've noticed that half for the memory wasn't detected. Each slot had 8 GB of 1600MHz memory but after the above issues slots A2 and B2 are showed empty from time to time. The memory works fine because I've placed it in different devices and other positions and it worked fine.
Another issue is that I can't bring my computer in a sleep mode that I can use WoL (Wake on LAN). At this point all necessary BOIS settings are available and are done correct. Perhaps it's a windows issue and I can find a solution for it but the main problem is still the motherboard.

Is there anyone who has experience with this kind of problems?
I'm convinced that all issues are related to the motherboard but is it a soft- or hardware issue and how can I solve is?

Please let me know what I can try.

Sorry for the long story but I think it's needed to have all detail.

Best regards,

Edited by lievenborms - 05 May 2018 at 4:48pm
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 6:33am
It sounds like you should remove the cpu and clean the bottom of it where the contact pads are. Do not clean the socket but it check for bent pins. Re-install the cpu and see if everything works again.

https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
lievenborms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lievenborms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 5:30am

Dear,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately cleaning and repositioning of the CPU couldn't solve the problem.

I've checked the pins and none of them were damaged or bend.

Perhaps I can put my CPU in another computer (ASRock H87 Pro motherboard). At this moment I haven't enough thermal compound for doing it, so I have to do it later.

But I guess that the mother board is causing the problem. In the past I've also build a computer for a friend. In that computer I used an ASRock Z87 extreme 4 motherboard, which has more or less the same characteristics.

Unfortunately, from what I can remember, this board had similar issues.

When booting the computer for the first time it also wouldn't start and many error codes where shown on dr. debug.

So, I've went to the technical support of the seller. They took a new motherboard of the shelf and installed it. Strangely enough this motherboard also didn't boot and the same errors where shown.

The technician took again a new motherboard. The first time the motherboard was starting normally. After shutting it down, installing it and closing the case we tested everything again. Surprisingly this new one was also stopped working.

So we tried a third new motherboard and after 10 times of starting and stopping the computer still worked like it should be.

I can't remember the exact error codes on the extreme4 motherboard but the issue looks the same as on my extreme6/ac board.

Nevertheless, I like to find the problem to make it work again.

Or if it's a hardware problem I like to know or it can be repaired and if it's worthy to invest the time?

Best regards,

Edited by lievenborms - 10 May 2018 at 5:29am
lievenborms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lievenborms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 5:38am

Update:

I was able to find a refurbished version of my motherboard (Asrock Z87 extreme6/ac)

After changing the mortherboard everything worked immediately without any issues.

By tis I know by sure that there's nothing wrong with the CPU, memory, hard disks,...

I also changed the 2 BIOS IC's and these of my broken mother board are working in the new one. The new IC's couldn't solve the problem when putting them in the broken motherboard.

So at my opinion there's only one cause and that's a hardware failure.

Is there anything that I can do for solving this or is it just better to throw away this board?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic