ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8700k 1.408 VCore, MCE off.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SymptomFinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8700k 1.408 VCore, MCE off.
    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 2:51pm
Hey guys. I'm having trouble figuring out what to do. This is my first real build besides a gaming laptop I had in 2010 (lol).

I have: 

i7-8700k
z370 Extreme 4 (BIOS 1.8)
NH-D15 CPU Cooler
EVGA 750 g3 psu
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB F4-3200C16D
1080ti SC2

At stock settings my vcore ranges anywhere from .656 to 1.408. This is in HWiNFO64. I am looking at Vcore, not VID. Other programs report the same. Just downloading a game from steam causes it to jump to 1.392/1.408 periodically. This can't be normal, right?

In the BIOS, the only thing I did was enable XMP for the RAM to be set at the correct speed. I noticed the VCCIO was high, so I set it to 1.1 and it seems to be stable. Multi-Core Enhancement is disabled. Without XMP and stock BIOS, I still get high VCore. 

I'd like my core voltage to be a bit lower. I know it peaks unnecessarily high. The thing is I don't really need to overclock and I am not sure leaving it at a fixed voltage is healthier.

Overclock attempts were quite terrible. I haven't tried anything higher than a fixed voltage of 1.3 at 4.7ghz, and my temps in Prime95 were hitting 93. Idle temps are low 30's. I have redone thermal paste as well. I am totally new to OC'ing, but I feel like I either got a bad chip, a bad motherboard, or there is some kind of BIOS issue. 

Also, I just returned my 1070ti and upgraded to the 1080ti and noticed my frametimes in most games were quite terrible, even at low settings, but this is possibly unrelated. The reason I do mention this is because I know there has been RAM issues with this board and I'm wondering if that is another issue I have.

So I guess I'm wondering if you guys can help me figure out if there is something wrong with this board - any advice is greatly appreciated. At this point I am willing to just get another MB if it would help all these issues. Extreme4 seems buggy as hell.
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 9:49am
I have a retail 8700k with Intel TS15A cooler on a Z370 Pro4 (all stock speeds and volts) and the vcore from HWiNFO64 shows 0.720v while typing this. If I pound the cpu (98%+ on all cores) the vcore never went above 1.264v. I know diff cpu of the same type do ask for diff volts during high demand which will show in vcore and VID (my VID went from 0.71 to 1.31v during stress, very close to what vcore runs).
pic of vcore: https://i.imgur.com/4fvOLUH.jpg
note there is no auxtin1 on this board so it always shows bad temps and auxtin3 always shows low in HWinfo, I prefer HWmonitor by cpuid

If your vcore does not follow VID within a tenth of a volt or so (with stock BIOS settings) there may be a problem with the VRM's or the CPU if not retail stock. If the VRM's are getting hot they may also supply more volts than needed. Sideways blowing CPU coolers and liquid cooling are both notorious for not providing good cooling to the VRM's. What is the temps of the motherboard sensors ?

edit: bad stuff Embarrassed

Edited by badbri - 04 Jun 2018 at 10:37am
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic