ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

x370 Killer Sli Frostbyte Engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToasteyAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x370 Killer Sli Frostbyte Engine
    Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 7:49pm
Hi,

since a pretty long time there is a bug going on with games based on the Frostbyte Engine and BIOS Versions >4.7. The problem is that some sound effects are delayed and in general the whole sound of the games is broken completely. It happenes with pretty much all Frostbyte games like Battlefield 1/4, Dragon Age and so on but only if the CPU is overclocked. It doesn't matter how high it's clocked, even 1hz is enough to trigger these sound bugs. Today I found out that even in The Crew 1, a game based on a completely different engine these soundbugs seem to be present. 

Gigabyte and other mobo manufacturers have solved the problem with their newest BIOS updates including pinnacle 1.2 version. I saw for the Killer SLI there is a beta BIOS (4.71) with same pinnacle update, unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem, so I assume the culprit lays somewhere else.

Is this issue even being investigated? Before Bios version 4.7 everything was okay, so obviously the ravenridge support messed something serious up. I don't want to downgrade since 4.7 is the first BIOS that runs stable with higher RAM frequencies.

Thanks in advance,
Greets

Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by ToasteyAF ToasteyAF wrote:

Hi,

since a pretty long time there is a bug going on with games based on the Frostbyte Engine and BIOS Versions >4.7. The problem is that some sound effects are delayed and in general the whole sound of the games is broken completely. It happenes with pretty much all Frostbyte games like Battlefield 1/4, Dragon Age and so on but only if the CPU is overclocked. It doesn't matter how high it's clocked, even 1hz is enough to trigger these sound bugs. Today I found out that even in The Crew 1, a game based on a completely different engine these soundbugs seem to be present. 

Gigabyte and other mobo manufacturers have solved the problem with their newest BIOS updates including pinnacle 1.2 version. I saw for the Killer SLI there is a beta BIOS (4.71) with same pinnacle update, unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem, so I assume the culprit lays somewhere else.

Is this issue even being investigated? Before Bios version 4.7 everything was okay, so obviously the ravenridge support messed something serious up. I don't want to downgrade since 4.7 is the first BIOS that runs stable with higher RAM frequencies.

Thanks in advance,
Greets

X370 Killer SLI - BetaBIOS 4.73 * 

Try the beta Bios, as it's based on 1.0.0.4.  So far it's cleared up the sound cutting out issue and PUBG crashing immediately on startup.

https://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/index.php

Edited by Reinvented - 10 Jul 2018 at 10:31pm
ToasteyAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToasteyAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 2:45am
Battlefield 1, half an hour with Ryzen 1700 at 4ghz and ram at 3200mhz working like a charm. I'm even getting more FPS than before.
Thank you so much for your reply!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:32am
I've been waiting for anything 1.0.0.3 and beyond.  Glad it worked for you too!  Back to gaming now!
ToasteyAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToasteyAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 4:01am
CAUTION
Installing the BETA BIOS 4.73 for the Killer x370 SLI Board made my RAM only run stable at 2400mhz. On BIOS Version 4.7 I was able to run it at 3200mhz.
Tested with AIDA64 stability test and PRIME 64 sFFT.

Does anyne know where I can report bugs like this?

Anyways the problems with some games seems to be solved.

Edited by ToasteyAF - 13 Jul 2018 at 4:04am
bro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:39am
Originally posted by ToasteyAF ToasteyAF wrote:

Killer x370 SLI Board made my RAM only run stable at 2400mhz. On BIOS Version 4.7 I was able to run it at 3200mhz.

Howdy y'all,

I have the same board as you, but I was never able to run my 2x8 kit at 3200MHz. And it's the good stuff Samsung B-die. I kind of gave up trying, after seeing that the official memory support is limited to only 2933. But you say you've managed to do just that. Clap
Help a brother out and please share some of your timings, voltages, etc. I might give another shot with this new BIOS. 
ToasteyAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToasteyAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 10:55pm
hi,

I'm pretty sure its very dependent on what dies and what they changed with the bios version. My ram has the bad hynix 16/18/18/38 dies, the boards xmp profile also sets them to exactly those timings. I played a lot with timings and voltages but never achieved anything. Only the BIOS Update 4.7 made the difference, I didn't even have to change anything, standard voltages and standard timings ran prefectly at 3200mhz. No with 4.73 I'm in the same boat like before, no matter what timings or voltages it won't run higher than 2400 mhz. 

Maybe it's useful to mention that I didn't use any oc software like ryzen master, I did everything directly in the uefi. 

If you don't have any compatibility issues with games (for me it was Battlefield1 , 4  and the Crew) I'd suggest you to use the 4.7 BIOS version it was the most stable for me but I also went directly from 3.5 to 4.7 to 4.71 to 4.73, so I can't judge lower BIOS versions. 

Apart from playing with the timings, what I never really suggest since for me it never really worked, I don't think there is much you can do. I could run the ram easily at 3200mhz stable for several months, but now with the beta BIOS I can't even go higher than 2400mhz without having constant bluescreens. Seems you just have to be lucky, logic doesn't apply here, lol.

One thing to say is that oddly enough now I'm able to overclock my Ryzen7 1700 to 4.0 ghz at 1,35V stable, before BIOS 4.73 nothing higher than 3.7ghz was possible, even with higher voltages.

Edited by ToasteyAF - 13 Jul 2018 at 11:00pm
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 11:45pm
that is your findings i dont think its right to tell people not to try it as it might give different results

and if the results is the same as yours can always go back to whatever bios works the best

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by gizmic gizmic wrote:

that is your findings i dont think its right to tell people not to try it as it might give different results

and if the results is the same as yours can always go back to whatever bios works the best

This is a really good point.  The bios works just fine for me.  Overclocked, and overclocked on memory.  Using the Taichi though.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic