ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X470 Taichi: mem frequency locked with Samsung OEM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X470 Taichi: mem frequency locked with Samsung OEM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neur0cide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X470 Taichi: mem frequency locked with Samsung OEM
    Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 3:18am
I have a X470 Taichi Ultimate on my testbench and can't clock Samsung OEM sticks with anything else than standard frequency.
Whenever I raise or lower memory frequency the Taichi won't post. It just sits there, spins the fans but doesn't begin memory training. Even the reset button is unresponsive. I gotta clear CMOS and switch off the PSU to make it bootable again.
This behaviour is the same with all Samsung OEM modules I own. Single Rank B-die and Dual Rank & SR C-die. They all have in common that there is no XMP profile present on these modules.

I can change the timings but not memory frequency.

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate
BIOS 1.50
Ryzen 1700

Any suggestions?

EDIT:
WARNING: On all or at least some X470 Taichi Ultimate motherboards DDR4 modules without an XMP profile can not be overclocked.
To make non-XMP DIMMs overclockable, an XMP profile has to be added to the DIMM's SPD and flashed to their EEPROM. This is risky and can damage your hardware!

Edited by neur0cide - 03 Aug 2018 at 4:33am
kerberos_20 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 4:35am
are those that ECC 2133mhz 1.2v without any heatsink rams?
maybe raising voltage could help, but ull need some heatsink first before u start overclock

anyway u did forgot to mention part number for your ram(s)
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14185108
neur0cide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neur0cide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 4:58am
Thanks for the reply kerberos_20!

These sticks are all standard Samsung OEM, non-ECC, non registered and without XMP profiles.
What I intended to use on this board are 2x16GB DR C-die (M378A2K43CB1-CRC). But they are locked on their standard frequency just as M378A1K43CB2-CRC and M378A1K43BB2-CRC are.

It doesn't matter if I put anything in place (vDIMM, vSOC, procODT, RZQ dividers and so on) - the Taichi won't post. Not even if I lower the clock multiplier to DDR4-1866 or anything else. It's not the memory training that fails. The system doesn't even start up. So no memory training, no post, just total unresponsiveness.

Why would I need heatsinks? On my C6H I can run those C-die @3466-16-19-19-1T @1.365v and the sticks barely get warm.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 5:39am
did u check with infrared camera? :P

anyway if that doesnt work in any way outside of spd settings (even lower frequency) which is kinda odd
u may want to add some dummy xmp profile to it in linux (windows wont let u do that, linux is very friendly :-) )
spd rom can be accessed from smbus with reserved adresses 0x50 - 0x57
neur0cide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neur0cide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 5:52am
I did not and the OEMs also don't come with temp sensors, but they are 100% stable and don't even need extra air cooling @3466. Those ICs are made for high frequencies and low voltages. They lack a bit in the timing department though.
Heatspreader are overrated anyways. I thought about removing the heatspreaders of a 4x8GB Kit once, because the sticks are so tight to each other, that the heat can hardly dissapate. This is even more so on the Taichi Ultimate. The slots are so close to each other that there is only 1mm of space between the modules. Removing the heatspreaders would certainly help with temps there.

Are you sure, that I can program the SPD of those sticks with an XMP Profile?
I believe the paid version of Thaiphoon Burner let's you reprogram SPDs in Windows. I'll dig around and see if I can find some information on the matter.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 6:12am
sure u can, spd rom is big enough these days
well thaiphoon may be more user friendly than linux way, but in linux is it for free
and whats more inmportant, if u brick your ram (bad spd flash) u can still reflash it later as grub allows u to block bad ram from being accessed by OS, so easy to fix later in case something bad happen
neur0cide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neur0cide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 6:21am
These are great advices kerberos. I would not have thought about programming an XMP profile for these sticks. Many thanks!

Since I am a total noob to either programming and Linux as well, you don't happen to have a tutorial at hand that could guide me through the process?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 11:18am
not at all, i found that by accident when i flashed edid to one of my rams on notebook xD
tho tutorials on how to flash edid under linux are there plenty and its basicaly the same stuff
just that edid uses bytes 0-127 on 0x50 adress while ddr3/4 dimms have 256 byte spd flash device on 0x50-0x57 adresses (different i2c ofc)
bytes 0-175 are for SPD
bytes 176-185 Global Parameters for Intel Extreme Memory used across all profiles
bytes 186-218 XMP profile 1
bytes 218-255 XMP profile 2

here u can get info on each byte

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 11:29am
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 11:41am
just sounds like a failed overclock to me 

increase or decrease blck by 1 it will change mem freq it will boot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic