ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X470 Taichi: mem frequency locked with Samsung OEM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X470 Taichi: mem frequency locked with Samsung OEM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
neur0cide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neur0cide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X470 Taichi: mem frequency locked with Samsung OEM
    Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 11:22am
You're wrong, it's there in plain sight in OC Tweaker. It just ends in a hard lock after selecting, saving and then restarting.
Also the timings can be changed and saved (still are set after reboot), but they never come into effect. Only the timings from the JEDEC profile are actually used.

There is an option for memory frequency in CBS.
It is to be found in Advanced/AMD CBS/UMC Common Options/DRAM Timing Configuration. Yet setting a frequency there doesn't stick. On saving and rebooting -> the setting reverts to AUTO (DDR4-2400 again), even when the cold reset method is used (like for CLDO_VDDP in NBIO Common Options). So this route is a dead end as well.

EDIT: I need you gizmic. You said that you have tampered with OEM sticks that don't come with XMP profiles on your X470 Taichi Ultimate and that they are overclockable. Can you without doubt confirm, that setting the DRAM multiplier and the timings works on your end with sticks like this?
Which ones did you test?
I ask because what I see on my board very much feels like a restriction by design and not like a bug.

EDIT2: I forgot to change OC Mode Change Switch from ASRock Setting to AMD CBS Setting. With the latter in place I get my usual hardlock upon changing memory frequency in AMD CBS.

Edited by neur0cide - 03 Aug 2018 at 12:33pm
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 10:40am
Originally posted by neur0cide neur0cide wrote:

So in summary: If there is no XMP profile present on your DIMMs, the X470 Taichi Ultimate won't allow any form of overclocking besides raising the bus clock.

i think the main problem was in "asrock OC" selection of mem freq isnt available when there isn't an xmp profile 

should be changeable in amd cbs settings

neur0cide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neur0cide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 4:44am
I bought a Thaiphoon Burner licence and added an XMP profile with my C-die timings to the worst stick in my collection. Worked like a charm.
I can now select the XMP profile on the Taichi and in consequence clock that stick to whatever frequency I want an set the timings to my liking.

Btw, I made an observational error before. Although the Taichi did let me change and save the timings on the non-XMP sticks, the settings were not applied.

So in summary: If there is no XMP profile present on your DIMMs, the X470 Taichi Ultimate won't allow any form of overclocking besides raising the bus clock.

I'd like to find out, if this is true by design for all X470 Taichi Ultimates and perhaps for other ASRock motherboards as well or if this a bug, that only affects certain boards in particular constellations.

Edited by neur0cide - 03 Aug 2018 at 7:18am
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 4:47pm
I think start better with other reference XMP is better even if the same kit is tried and tested on another system. As you already know Taichi is finicky

on the side note I've hit the wall on my current kit on this mobo which can easily doing 4000+ on the blue team. 
neur0cide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neur0cide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 4:26pm
Oh, I see. Sorry!! Handshake

I'll prolly use the timings that I have already identified. They work for all C-die and also transfer well to different motherboards. Just tRFC I'll keep very relaxed, since the Taichi demands a whopping 70 ns more for the refresh cycle than my C6H with retail B-die.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:06am
hayz .... i know that you problem is you can't change DRAM clock muls and i'm telling you to use a similar Ryzen XMP profile to boot with whatever Dram clock multiplier you want to run. I suggested this because your hard lock problem is similar when i use a setting/timing that my kits/imc refuse to run. 
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 1:08am
can you say that again please...................................

ok so have you considered using a program to flash a higher spd to the firmware

maybe its just a bug in bios not playing nicely with the spd being changed in bios
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
neur0cide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neur0cide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 12:45am
You really don't understand what I'm saying. Dead

I do not want to use XMP settings. All I want to do is change the clock multiplier for my C-die sticks. And btw memory frequency = BCLK * DRAM clock multiplier, so yeah, the multiplier is in the XMP.
There are no retail kits, that come with C-die. Samsung is using these ICs exclusively on their own OEM sticks. I have 10 dual rank C-die sticks here and I know perfectly well what they are capable of and what timings they require, since I have tested them all extensively. On my C6H six of them do 3466-16-19-19-1T @1.365v in a 1DPC config (100% stable). Over the course of the last 14 months I've been through roundabout 60 different DDR4 kits. I know my way around when it comes to overclocking RAM on Ryzen.

So for the very last time: There is no OC in place. Changing the DRAM clock multiplier does not work for Samsung OEM sticks on my X470 Taichi Ultimate.

Whenever I raise or lower memory frequency the Taichi won't post.

When I change memory frequency and nothing else to e.g. DDR4-1866 the board won't post.

Not even if I lower the clock multiplier to DDR4-1866 or anything else.

This happens with every frequency I select, be it DDR4-2800 or DDR4-1866 or any other.

Please don't make me repeat this again.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 12:27pm
XMP comes with memory frequency the bios will load the closes Mem frequency vs mem timing and works it way down from Xmp to Jedec it doesn't look at the memory clock multiplier

and you should understand all kits dont run in the same timings or freq from the factory even if they are the same type of chips which is why you can see sammy dies ranging from 2400-4000+

as to point you in the right direction the fastest 16X2 gskill 3200 in the qvl list only runs at 2933 assuming these kits are C-dies

you could just set its XMP settings and see if it boots. If it doesn't it may need more voltage or simply look for a lower mem freq xmp in the qvl list and run those.

If it makes you feel better i cannot boot with my kit's xmp settings at 3200 CL18 but it will revert to jedec CL14 or CL16 depending on what the mem training feels like doing. 

neur0cide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neur0cide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 11:21pm
Sure it does. XMP always comes with a memory frequency.

The memory frequency certainly is not a problem. These sticks can clock over 1000 MT/s higher on Ryzen and other retail kits with XMP present can be overclocked just fine on the Taichi.
It's the DRAM Frequency setting in conjunction with the non XMP sticks, that is somehow at fault here.
As I pointed out above the Taichi is handling XMP and non-XMP sticks differently. With XMP sticks the DRAM Frequency setting is locked until I select an XMP profile. With non-XMP sticks DRAM Frequency is unlocked right from the start. So for me the most obvious logical explanation is that something is at fault with the Taichi's handling of non-XMP sticks.
Of course it might be some general incompatibility with Samsung sticks, but I'd consider this a bug too.

But please tell me how this is supposed to be a failed overclock if I don't overclock at all?
You either don't understand the problem or are not able to read. So I try to make it as simple as I can:
I start with Fail Safe Settings (default settings) and with only the automatic JEDEC profile active, which is 2400-17-17-17 @1.2v for those C-die sticks. I then alter only DRAM Frequency and the issue is there. This happens with every frequency I select, be it DDR4-2800 or DDR4-1866 or any other.
Everything else I can manipulate at will but only as long as I remain at DDR4-2400. I can lower the timings to 12-12-12-12 no problem, I can raise the voltages no problem, change BCLK, set procODT and the Rtt dividers - it all boots up nicely as long as I don't touch those DDR4-2400.
This is the same with all OEM sticks I tested: 3 C-die DR kits, 1 SR C-die kit, 1 SR B-die kit

I'm glad that you don't have the same problem with Samsungs OEM sticks on your Taichi, but that doesn't change the fact, that it is not working on my end.
Perhaps you can point me to a solution instead of accusing me of bad overclocking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic