ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X470 Gaming-ITX: Issues Undervolting / OC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelPe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X470 Gaming-ITX: Issues Undervolting / OC
    Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 12:32am
Hi all,

first of all my system:
  • Ryzen 5 2400G (Raven Ridge)
  • ASRock X470 Gaming-ITX
  • 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM (Samsung B-Die @ 3266 MHz)
  • Latest BIOS (1.30)
  • Win 10
Currently I'm trying to undervolt the CPU because standard voltage of the CPU is quite high (up to 1.4 V).
But as soon as I start to optimize, the issues begin...

In short: Is there a way to lower the voltages of the CPU and still keep all the different P-States + XFR Turbo + idle clocks?

First thing I did was using the OC Tweaker (BIOS) with ASRock settings. I applied my RAM timings which was luckily not a big deal. So my first attempt to undervolt was to change the offset voltage of my CPU core. Unfortunately as soon as do this, the CPU won't go higher than the base frequency. Moreover, I couldn't see any difference in terms of core voltage (CPU-Z & HWiNFO).

Next thing I tried was to change the CPU settings in the OCTweaker fom Auto to Manual. When I leave the clock as it is (3.6 GHz Base frequency) and just modify the core voltage, these changes are correctly applied. I can see the reduced voltage but unfortunately XFR / turbo is not working anymore, so I'm stuck at base clock.
As soon as I change the clock speed (for example 3.8 GHz), the CPU will always stay at this maximum frequency and voltage and the CPU won't apply idle clocks anymore.

The same is true when using AMD CBS settings and overclocking the P0 state. So in general, the OC is working and seems to be stable with lowered voltages, but the CPU won't use idle clocks anymore.

So is there a different way to undervolt or overclock my CPU while still having all P-States and idle clocks & voltages for efficiency?

Best regards,
Michael

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic